Audiophile Full Setup, What should I buy?

and ill just leave this here...

38494_430515750968_71123955968_5238479_6956266_n.jpg

I'm glad you told me about the awesome vintage 2 channel equipment because I will be building myself a house in a year or so and will need a sweet setup there, but I still have the problem of a vehicle without music. I still love my van, just got it, and you should definitely get one too! You should go with the 75-79 air-cooled fuel-injected vans, by far the best in comfort and power. What kind of processor are you talking about? Also, lets all assume that I probably misspoke using the term "Audiophile". I love music, I have listened to and played music my whole life, but I don't have mad stacks of cash. I could really use some suggestions on different systems that I could actually afford and compare to others because I essentially have 3 weeks to finish the van interior (its completely stripped now) and then I am off to college.
No problem at all.

As far as the processor, they are used to "fix" the inside of a vehicle to make it sound like a more appropriate listening environment, a vehicle isn't the easiest place to get audiophile quality sounds.

As far as vintage 2 channel stuff, let me know when you are ready to put something together. You can get REALLY good sound, really cheap, with a little knowledge, shopping, and room treatment if you go the vintage route.

Your opinion is understandable, Evil Squirrel, but I didn't buy it so I could look cool, I bought it because it is very comfortable, inexpensive, and reliable. I can't find what you are referencing in point 6. of your post. What is the difference in sound between 6.5s and 6x9s? Putting the speakers in the upper cabinet is a great idea, would the sub work up there as well? What is the difference between facing the speakers and sub woofer different ways (back, front, down)? Why are the amps so expensive?

I just like the lower front turnsignals, small taillights, and the curved intakes on the 68-71 busses better. But honestly, if you start having little troubles with the fuel injection, ditch it, its not worth the time, effort, or money. Carbs work much better.

point 6 was Subwoofers, AQ and FI both make very good products, 2 AQ sdc2.5 10"s subs or 1 FI 12" Q is about $250, but like i said, the Type R is still a very good sub and can be found for around $130

6x9s are more bassy

yours has a cabinet? like this?

3398999349_65510069d7.jpg

you can mount the 6x9s underneath pointing down, mine has the same thing but its just a shelf, no door.

you cant really put a sub up there

A bus kinda *****, because usually you face the sub/s toward the back to bounce off the trunk/hatch, but a bus doesnt have anything like that

Amps just are, you really get what you pay for though. and the AQ is a good deal.

My bus is going to have a cabinet up top like that one and one like on the driver side but longer . I am building them all myself so I was thinking a sub enclosure behind that cabinet so that together they would make a sort of "T" shape. Would it sound different depending on where you point them? Anyone know anything about HD radio?

The alpine type S speakers sound cruddy. I'd at least go with the type R's. Rockford power (T1) coaxials sound good too. if you want POWAH, Soundstream SST and Hifonics coaxials can take a lot of wattage for the $.

what are you looking for in a subwoofer? bottom fill? SPL? how much room do you have for an enclosure?

I don't need any thing crazy loud, but I want something punchy, responsive, and defined. What is bottom fill and SPL? I have plenty of room in two dimensions and I don't want to go much past a foot in width. This is what I think I want: Hifonics ATL-12D2. With four speakers left, what kinds are detailed and punchy also? I don't need something really loud. What size amp will I probably need for all this?

well, if you are planning on amping your four speakers, based on your goals you seem to be the perfect candidate for a 5-channel amp. and seeing that you're new to this, it would make it a little easier.

That sub got a nice review from a reputable magazine. It looks well built, and i've plugged it into WinISD and showed a nice response curve and would fare well in a relatively small box. You might be able to find a slightly better sounding sub in its class, but you're going to pay more money, unless you're willing to downgrade in power handling

for 5 channel amps i'd recommend Hifonics, Polk Audio, MB Quart, Boston Acoustics, Kicker. you might be able to find an even better deal on the classifieds here or if you do some serious online digging. keep asking/learning before you make any big purchases though! good luck with the build!

like.. similar to.

and it depends. are you going to amp your speakers or just the sub? are you going to put sub in ported enclosure? if so, you need to find amp with subsonic (infrasonic) filter. etc, etc

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.