Audiophile Full Setup, What should I buy?

Thanks for all your input, guys. How many channels should the head unit have? Are there some minimum specs I should look out for? Is there a big benefit to have a mono amp and a 4 channel amp instead of just a 5 channel amp? The former option seems more expensive. What do you guys think of HD radio?

mono amp for sub/s

4 channel for mids/highs

you really gotta think about the power too though

your probably only pumping out 55amps or so.

you could easily run multiple batteries in the engine compartment though, which is good.

my 71 had 2 marine deep cycle batteries on either side of the motor when i got it.

Blues Car Audio
Ray sent this to me.

Everything is designed and engineered in house by us and EVERYTHING is made in the USA. This is

even higher quality product than the original Blues, and we have tested them

against all the major high end brands, Focal K2 3 way (1899.99), Dynaudio 3

way, Hybrid, and Hertz audio. We outperform all of these brands in several

different ways with the Dynaudio three way component system coming the

closest in SQ to ours. The mid and high frequency is very close with each

ours and the Dyanudio having subtle differences, but the big difference is

in the low frequency and the efficiency. Our 6.5 goes lower in frequency

than any of these and we are roughly 4 dB more efficient that n the Dynaudio

three ways system(1450.00). We are able to cover the full frequency

bandwidth with just our 2 way system and offer it in a retail price range

similar to the Dynaudio 2 way system (830.00-880.00).
That component set with the 8" woofer and tweeter just SCREAMS "audiophile" to me.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif

The stock speakers were 6x9, one in each front door panel. I would like to know if two speakers is enough for a big van like the 77 bus. I plan on using the bench seat/ bed (with a sub under it) in the back, so would it still sound good with two in front? That or two in a cabinet above the bed/bench facing forward, or both sets, what should i do?

If you really want audiophile for 1k the only way you'd do it is to get some REALLY good deals on some vintage 2 channel equipment... run an inverter and sit your speakers, reciever, and CD source outside the van and enjoy. I'm running some speakers right now in my 2 channel setup at home that nothing under 5k a speaker new could touch, I paid 30.00 for the pair lol.

A processor to "fix" the inside of a vehicle is going to run you almost all of your budget, sadly. It's a whole lot easier to get audiophile quality sound in a house, and a lot cheaper too, if you shop vintage.

Actually that is kind of a cool idea. Park, set up a 2 channel system, sit back in the lawn chairs and pop open a cold beer! I've got less than a grand in my 2 channel system and I'd put it up against anything in a vehicle as far as SQ, soundstage width and depth, etc.

Note to self... buy an old V Dub van some day!

If you really want audiophile for 1k the only way you'd do it is to get some REALLY good deals on some vintage 2 channel equipment... run an inverter and sit your speakers, reciever, and CD source outside the van and enjoy. I'm running some speakers right now in my 2 channel setup at home that nothing under 5k a speaker new could touch, I paid 30.00 for the pair lol.
A processor to "fix" the inside of a vehicle is going to run you almost all of your budget, sadly. It's a whole lot easier to get audiophile quality sound in a house, and a lot cheaper too, if you shop vintage.

Actually that is kind of a cool idea. Park, set up a 2 channel system, sit back in the lawn chairs and pop open a cold beer! I've got less than a grand in my 2 channel system and I'd put it up against anything in a vehicle as far as SQ, soundstage width and depth, etc.

Note to self... buy an old V Dub van some day!
You are on crack.

I'm glad you told me about the awesome vintage 2 channel equipment because I will be building myself a house in a year or so and will need a sweet setup there, but I still have the problem of a vehicle without music. I still love my van, just got it, and you should definitely get one too! You should go with the 75-79 air-cooled fuel-injected vans, by far the best in comfort and power. What kind of processor are you talking about? Also, lets all assume that I probably misspoke using the term "Audiophile". I love music, I have listened to and played music my whole life, but I don't have mad stacks of cash. I could really use some suggestions on different systems that I could actually afford and compare to others because I essentially have 3 weeks to finish the van interior (its completely stripped now) and then I am off to college.

I'm glad you told me about the awesome vintage 2 channel equipment because I will be building myself a house in a year or so and will need a sweet setup there, but I still have the problem of a vehicle without music. I still love my van, just got it, and you should definitely get one too! You should go with the 75-79 air-cooled fuel-injected vans, by far the best in comfort and power. What kind of processor are you talking about? Also, lets all assume that I probably misspoke using the term "Audiophile". I love music, I have listened to and played music my whole life, but I don't have mad stacks of cash. I could really use some suggestions on different systems that I could actually afford and compare to others because I essentially have 3 weeks to finish the van interior (its completely stripped now) and then I am off to college.
lol Fuell Infunction...

First thing you need to do is ditch that injection setup and get a set of dual Webers.

Late Bays, in my opinion, are very ugly.

1. Head Unit of your choice, the features that you stated earlier are in most new units today. $150 ??

2. 6.5" coaxials in the front, probably tucked neatly under the dash, or even in the door panels. $100 ??

3. 6x9"s mounted under the shelf in the back (there should be a shelf that cant be used for much above the bed) $100 ??

4. Hifonics amp for mids, good deals right now on woofersect for about $150

5. AQ 1200d amp for sub $250

6. 2 AQ SDC2.5 10s, FI Q 12, lots of choices... $250? (maybe cheaper, depends on what floats your boat)

NOT AN ALPINE NUG HUGGER (I only have an Alpine HU)

but for what you want, it could sound really nice with Type S 6x9s and 6.5s, And a type R 12 ($125 or so right now?)

the AQ 1200d would probably be awesome on a Type R 2ohm

just my .02

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.