At what Voltage drop does damage occur?

Depends on amp. You could have 2 bnib ab150's one could fail at 11.9 while the exact copy next to it keeps going well down into the 11's.. DD amps will run in the 11's without issue as will others.

That seems beyond the realm of my skills. Of course I surprised myself with the sub box I built for my two ab xfl 12s so maybe I could do it. I would need someone to tell me "It should fit" and I could probably make it happen
op. ive ran that same exact amp. it is power hungry as all hell. getting that alt will for sure help. and also finding a more efficient amp will help as well. that brx 2400.1 or brz 2400.1 forget what the model of it was would not put out rated for me. granted i was running it at 2 ohm to 2 ****** kicker comp r subs but it was rated for 1600w at 2 ohm and i could only get 1200 clean out of it. with an upgraded electrical

How do I know if clipping is going on? Is that an audible thing? I really have no idea what that is
you can hear clipping for sure but get your self an oscilloscope and you can set your gains accordingly without having to worry about clipping

Amps can work on 11 volts but can cause damage at low volts. Batteries hold a charge of 12 to 13 volts and will run your amp at that voltage. Your alternator brings the voltage up to 13-14 volts and charges the battery along with backing up voltage. Problems happen when driving a amp hard and the voltage drops below 10-10.5 volts. Most new amps will go into protection. My Phoenix Gold amp is listed as Power supply operating range of 10.0 Vdc to 15.5 Vdc. The amp you listed I don't see the power range but it should be about the same. I think the newer Brutus amps will handle just above 16.volts. A second battery is always good insurance to protect from voltage drop. Hope that helps.

Amps can work on 11 volts but can cause damage at low volts. Batteries hold a charge of 12 to 13 volts and will run your amp at that voltage. Your alternator brings the voltage up to 13-14 volts and charges the battery along with backing up voltage. Problems happen when driving a amp hard and the voltage drops below 10-10.5 volts. Most new amps will go into protection. My Phoenix Gold amp is listed as Power supply operating range of 10.0 Vdc to 15.5 Vdc. The amp you listed I don't see the power range but it should be about the same. I think the newer Brutus amps will handle just above 16.volts. A second battery is always good insurance to protect from voltage drop. Hope that helps.
I just had my amp repaired by Steve @ Amp Medics. he did a great job but it was blown due to underpowering it, fried the power supply. I had a terrible ground and have since relocate the ground to the chasis and purchased a digital volt meter. Big 3 has been done as well. However my stock Alt is only 130 amps and I'm scared to turn the music up too loud. I've got about $600 into this at the moment and need another $400 for the HO Alt from Mechman. I was hoping to not need a spare battery unless I could get a spare battery instead of the upgraded Alternator. From what I'm hearing, I believe I need both =(

I just had my amp repaired by Steve @ Amp Medics. he did a great job but it was blown due to underpowering it, fried the power supply. I had a terrible ground and have since relocate the ground to the chasis and purchased a digital volt meter. Big 3 has been done as well. However my stock Alt is only 130 amps and I'm scared to turn the music up too loud. I've got about $600 into this at the moment and need another $400 for the HO Alt from Mechman. I was hoping to not need a spare battery unless I could get a spare battery instead of the upgraded Alternator. From what I'm hearing, I believe I need both =(
I def wouldn't cheap out on the alt.Mechman,Ohio Generator or Singer is the way to go.Usually get what you pay for in this hobby.Small agm in the back will do wonders as well.Good luck

Battery will help and keep from blowing the amp. Mechman alt are great but $$$. For that I would look for maybe a local Alt and starter shop to rebuild and upgrade your stocker. I looked on Amazon and only seen a 160 amp for $190., but that was just a quick search. Do a search to see if you could find a 200 amp. I have not seen much as for Dodge. GM you can get all day long. I'll take a look for you. But the second battery is a must in my book or you will just ending up burning up any alt you put in. I ran a 140 amp with my 2 batteries for a long time and it worked find. Just needed to give sometime to recharge batteries before shutting the car down or put the charger on. Which I do anyway due to the heat here in South Florida. I use the Ctek MUS 4.3 to keep up the AGM batteries. They will last 10 plus years.

U got $600 wrapped up In that amp???? Extra 100+ah batt will do. No need for $500alt..

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.