Areo or slot

Bobbytwonames

Trigger Man!
Aug 28, 2018
Vegas
Ya 87... I got out the military the 1st time in 87. Did 4 more years in 1990-94.
I consider myself a noob around here. You can never know it all.
Thank you for your service sir. I haven't been on this site for a long time, but I'm not going to be bullied or pushed around either. When I realized his box was a little out of my league, then, I directed him to the people that he should confer with. I don't understand the 4th order ratios (2:1 sealed and unsealed) and some of the technical stuff, but I'll get there. And, I don't see anything wrong with that or what I talked to the OP about. Peace!

Last edited:

shredder2

CarAudio.com Elite VIP
Nov 19, 2017
Az
I don't understand the 4th order ratios (2:1 sealed and unsealed) and some of the technical stuff, but I'll get there
You got this sounds like... throw up a screenshot man. A design. Its how I learned thru criticism /w/ a few bones thrown my way... it made me learn. Just use his 4 subs and make it work.

Reactions: metalheadjoe

Bobbytwonames

Trigger Man!
Aug 28, 2018
Vegas
You got this sounds like... throw up a screenshot man. A design. Its how I learned thru criticism /w/ a few bones thrown my way... it made me learn. Just use his 4 subs and make it work.
It's not that easy. I know that there's a lot that I don't understand about 4th orders. Like, how big to make the blow through whole to tune the box. We were installing a 2- 12" 4th order blow through in a G8 until 5:30 this morning. Powered by a 2K Ampere and one bank of lithium. A lot of work, but it sounded good. I'm constantly asking my friend questions. But, I knew that you and Buck could help this kid out a lot more than myself. That's why I tagged both of you guys. Stay in my lane.

Caliboy916

CarAudio.com Recruit
Apr 11, 2021
California
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thank you for your service sir. I haven't been on this site for a long time, but I'm not going to be bullied or pushed around either. When I realized his box was a little out of my league, then, I directed him the people that he should confer with. I don't understand the 4th order ratios (2:1 sealed and unsealed) and some of the technical stuff, but I'll get there. And, I don't see anything wrong with that or what I talked to the OP about. Peace!
I think the biggest problem I having is that I'm super limited to space...only have 54 inches deep 17 tall and 48 with...I just don't have the space for the 4 I wanted to run...

shredder2

CarAudio.com Elite VIP
Nov 19, 2017
Az
Why not? If Shredder2 said that he could make all 4 fit, then, I would believe him. My box builder said the same thing, all four would fit.
I say try it... 3 or 4... whatever fits. But bear in mind a pair of high powered 15's in a 4th usually takes up space to do it right. If someone says its possible than it probably is. Honestly I haven't crunched numbers yet as Bobbys probably close. I just like to troll his ass. He gets so spectacularly defensive its Snowflakeville and Im bored. Comon' Mr Fisherman... you had to suspect. I think you would get close on a 4th but you'll never know till you try. I heard all 4 at 1st so try that 1st then scale down till it works if needed. Watching airspace and port.
Even 2 higher powered 15s in a 4th can get pretty big if done right. Its all ratio & goals then materials, displacements etc. And some math... ez. Keep the tuning in the 40s fwiw.

Ratio, goals, subs and power... ez. Don't forget install/config too.
And make sure the subs have an EBP usable in a 4th and compatible.

Every box is a collection of compromises so don't feel like whatever wont work. Maybe post a attempt on paper or screenshot and give it a try. Only way to learn unless you wanna burn up some lumber (and hrs).

I think Bobby will get it close, I just want to see him try.

Bobbytwonames

Trigger Man!
Aug 28, 2018
Vegas
I say try it... 3 or 4... whatever fits. But bear in mind a pair of high powered 15's in a 4th usually takes up space to do it right. If someone says its possible than it probably is. Honestly I haven't crunched numbers yet as Bobbys probably close. I just like to troll his ass. He gets so spectacularly defensive its Snowflakeville and Im bored. Comon' Mr Fisherman... you had to suspect. I think you would get close on a 4th but you'll never know till you try. I heard all 4 at 1st so try that 1st then scale down till it works if needed. Watching airspace and port.
Even 2 higher powered 15s in a 4th can get pretty big if done right. Its all ratio & goals then materials, displacements etc. And some math... ez. Keep the tuning in the 40s fwiw.

Ratio, goals, subs and power... ez. Don't forget install/config too.
And make sure the subs have an EBP usable in a 4th and compatible.

Every box is a collection of compromises so don't feel like whatever wont work. Maybe post a attempt on paper or screenshot and give it a try. Only way to learn unless you wanna burn up some lumber (and hrs).

I think Bobby will get it close, I just want to see him try.
You probably won't believe it, but a friend of mine (I do have a couple) did a 150.5 with two 12's in a 4th order blow through in the trunk of a VW CC. 5K and lithium. The box was completely sealed off. Meter in the kick, but door was open. It surprised me. You will probably believe the meter, but won't believe that I actually have friends.

shredder2

CarAudio.com Elite VIP
Nov 19, 2017
Az
I believe you man.. you give so much advice its time to step up and try one yourself. I actually think you'll get close.
Comon' man... help Op out.

Bobbytwonames

Trigger Man!
Aug 28, 2018
Vegas
I believe you man.. you give so much advice its time to step up and try one yourself. I actually think you'll get close.
Comon' man... help Op out.
I don't have dimensions, but I think the shape should be something like this. Sorry, for the rough drawing. I'm drawing with my finger on a phone. I'll get OP a design. The problem is, I think that he cut open the whole cab of his truck.

20210413_234359.jpg

Bobbytwonames

Trigger Man!
Aug 28, 2018
Vegas
I think the biggest problem I having is that I'm super limited to space...only have 54 inches deep 17 tall and 48 with...I just don't have the space for the 4 I wanted to run...
I think 13.5 cubes would work. Each sub in 1.5 sealed (4.5) and 9 cubes unsealed. But, I think you cut out too much of your cab.

Bobbytwonames

Trigger Man!
Aug 28, 2018
Vegas
I dont think the port will be THAT big so do some fabrication. By the looks of that bed you'll get away without a boot too. Id worry about that back window as much as its cutout myself. Maybe reinforce the back cabin wall some?
He needs to glue and screw a piece of ¾" MDF or Birch to seal that cab up and start over. He has a tonneau cover, but it would be smart to rhino line the box. How did you like the layout of my box drawing? He should probably use 1" material.

hispls

CarAudio.com Veteran
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
Sep 10, 2009
Central Maine
My last box was 7 cf per woofer with a slotted port almost blew the front window out...I've always put my woofers in bigger boxes and have never had a problem. Trial and error if it doesn't work I will build a new box...its just my hobby
That's the spirit!

A single port would have been more efficient than 4 smaller ones, and it looks to me like you will only around 100 square inches of port area which may not be adequate for your cone area.

You will want to add a lot of bracing all around in that box.

Caliboy916

CarAudio.com Recruit
Apr 11, 2021
California
That's the spirit!

A single port would have been more efficient than 4 smaller ones, and it looks to me like you will only around 100 square inches of port area which may not be adequate for your cone area.

You will want to add a lot of bracing all around in that box.
It's all double walled with 3/4 birch..but I plan on adding more

hispls

CarAudio.com Veteran
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
Sep 10, 2009
Central Maine
You will still want to brace all those large panels and probably one on the baffle between the 4 ports. 1.5" plywood will flex more than you expect when you get into really large panels.

Caliboy916

CarAudio.com Recruit
Apr 11, 2021
California
Well if shredd wants to design a box I don't mind paying for the time...let me know
You will still want to brace all those large panels and probably one on the baffle between the 4 ports. 1.5" plywood will flex more than you expect when you get into really large panels.
Already on it boss thanks for the advice tho appreciate it

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Most posts - Past 30 days

Latest classifieds