Another new guy trying to do things right - 1966 impala quality system

Participant count
  • Participant list

Impalow

Hello everyone! I'm am currently in the process of overhauling the sound system in my 1966 impala lowrider. I have owned this car since I was 17 (16years ago) and it has had several hacked together systems in it. Finally, I'm going to try to do this as best as my budget will allow. Since I am grown up now (kinda) I am looking for more of a SQ setup. Something nice, loud and clear while cruising in a loud car with the windows down.

If you wouldn't mind taking a look over what I have been planing, and look for any glaring issues, underkill/overkill, or anything else I may need to make this sound amazing.

Starting front to back:

Speakers

Infinity Kappa tweeters - upper windshield corners - installed

Infinity Kappa 4" coaxials - factory center dash speaker location (pointing at windshield) -installed

Infinity Kappa 6.5 comps - custom kick panels - not purchased or installed

Infinity Kappa 6x9 2 ways- in rear armrests - installed

(2) JVC WG1000 10" subs - inverted in a custom box at rear of trunk - installed

Amps

Autotek 1000.4 4 channel amp - powering the tweeters and 4" - not purchased yet

Autotek 1400.4 4 channel amp - powering the 6.5 and 6x9 - not purchased yet

Infinity Kappa one - powering the subs - installed

Head unit

JVC- exad - shx900 - installed

7" Samsung galaxy tab 2.0 - installed

Please let me know your thoughts... Thanks! -e

dump the tweeters by the windshield ,prolly to bright ,also the 4 coaxes ,need to go ,,the autotek amps are junk of they are the new ones .i's replace the 4inch with just mids ,get the tweets away from the windshield or make pods for them and aim them appropriately ,probably a better sub amp as well

64FEAE1C-80D7-43FA-A96C-0E7A53CA0FAC.jpg

612D791F-B333-41AD-9177-76D728D6D9DC.jpg

A couple photos so you get the idea.....

Thank you!

They are tucked into the very top corner behind the boarder tint, so you can't really see them... But they can be aimed...I have been running the tweeters and 4" and 6x9s off the head unit for the past couple years.. And the front stage was surprisingly decent/very wide... Lacks midrange for sure... That's what I was hoping to get using the 6.5s in the kicks. And them using the amps crossovers to equal everything out. At least that was the plan in my head.. Hence getting the autoteks that have full crossovers... I know they are not great, but since they were going to be hidden.. I figured anything is better than off the head unit.

I am defiantly open to other options..

Thank you!They are tucked into the very top corner behind the boarder tint, so you can't really see them... But they can be aimed...I have been running the tweeters and 4" and 6x9s off the head unit for the past couple years.. And the front stage was surprisingly decent/very wide... Lacks midrange for sure... That's what I was hoping to get using the 6.5s in the kicks. And them using the amps crossovers to equal everything out. At least that was the plan in my head.. Hence getting the autoteks that have full crossovers... I know they are not great, but since they were going to be hidden.. I figured anything is better than off the head unit.

I am defiantly open to other options..
is space an issue ? maybe some arc audi xdi amps

My plan was under the seats... And they are big seats.... Off the top of my head I have a 14" x 14" x 4"ish... Under each seat.. Worst case I can move everything back to the trunk, none of the amp wiring is started yet.

My plan was under the seats... And they are big seats.... Off the top of my head I have a 14" x 14" x 4"ish... Under each seat.. Worst case I can move everything back to the trunk, none of the amp wiring is started yet.
budget for amps?

Oh boy.... Ummm... No more than 200.00 each really.. If I could help it, could do more if I could get away with just one amp... I'm not opposed to used gear either, it's mostly going to be hidden. The autoteks were 79.00 and 89.00 on sonic... I was once looking at 2 kappa fours too 199.00each.. I've never done this 4 channel thing, been researching like crazy....

Oh boy.... Ummm... No more than 200.00 each really.. If I could help it, could do more if I could get away with just one amp... I'm not opposed to used gear either, it's mostly going to be hidden. The autoteks were 79.00 and 89.00 on sonic... I was once looking at 2 kappa fours too 199.00each.. I've never done this 4 channel thing, been researching like crazy....
how much power for the sub are you wanting ? i may have an amp for you , and its new with warranty

The subs are 300w rms... Each... I just grabbed this kappa one. It seems to do okay... The bass is kinda muddy but i figured it was just the old crappy subs. (That weren't good even when new) Sadly they have to stay tho, they have white translucent cones and I have them lit from inside.

have a new 5 channel that has 120 rms x 4 for the speakers and 800 x 1 for the subs , its good to have a little overhead for the amp , so that you dont run it to hard

Could I power all these speakers off of it? or are you suggesting eliminate speakers until I get to just 4-channels and the subs? So the 6.5 comps the 6x9s and the subs? That seems too simple. haha

The subs are 4ohm DVC's.. I forgot to mention that last night.

The amp will run the speakers and both subs yes you can run the components and 6x9s at 4 ohms stereo. I'd run the 4" and tweets off deck power. That way they aren't over bearing to the rest of the system. Being up on the windshield. Can make them very loud and harsh

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.