Clipping?

Hey guys so today I was running some test tones on my amp to see where the output voltage was sitting and ran a test tone of 50,40,and 30 hz. Now at 50hz I'm sitting spot on at my target voltage of 34.6V but when I did into the 40hz and 30hz I'm pushing 40-47v and it starts clipping and buzzing very quietly. So now I'm curious as to if I should turn the gains down all together or leave it. Cause in reality how bad is it for a sub to clip briefly. I listen to country mostly but when my friends jump in they always play dub step and lots of bass songs. thanks

I don't use any bass boost the only boost I use is a 60 hz but a very slight one

I really wanna know if clipping for brief seconds really affects a subwoofer I can't imagine it to be too good for it but I was just curious as to the degree

Listen to your amp, when it clips you'll hear a very faint buzz from inside so you need to quiet it down (no buzzing). The harder the clipping the louder the buzz would sound, make sure you double check with a DMM, DD1 or OScope.

Listen to your amp, when it clips you'll hear a very faint buzz from inside so you need to quiet it down (no buzzing). The harder the clipping the louder the buzz would sound, make sure you double check with a DMM, DD1 or OScope.
well technically a DMM wont show you clipping. the oscope, DD-1 will tho

Clipping sounds like the woofer starts playing a different tone.

As much as I've set my gains, I've never been able to hear my subs clip, even looking at the wave clip on a scope.

It's hard to hear clipping at sub levels. Just cut back on that buzzing

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.