Participant count
  • Participant list
First post in this thread, I hope I do a thorough job.

Alright so I'm planning to use a car subwoofer AT HOME. I was planning on using the Renegade GTR1200 subwoofer. 300 watts RMS, 4 ohm impedence, comes with enclosure. The problem I have when buying an amp, (which is what I need advice with) is that amp as I am about mention mostly advertise at 600, or 400 watts, but then at 4 ohm impedence the only supply 300 watts. I'm talking about mono block amps. Now when this phenomenon occurs, are the manufacturers implying that if your subwoofer has 4 ohm impedence, and at 4 ohms the amp supplies 300 watts, and 2 ohms 600 watts, that if you hook up your 4 ohm sub going 300 watts the input to the amp has to be 300 too? Or does it still need to be 600? The amp I was PLANNING on using is the MB QUART FX1.600

600 Watt Monoblock Amplifier. As I said before it is 600 watts at 2 ohm impedenxe, and 300 at 4 ohm impedence. So is it ok if I supply the amp with 420 watts if the sub I'm using is only 300 watts and 4 ohms? Thanks a lot guys I really appreciate any kind of response I'm getting a bit desperate.

By the way, in case anyone is wondering, I'm using a 420 Watt, 12v power supply by Okia.

No car audio amps in the house, the AC-DC power supply required would be several hundred dollars.

Buy a plate amp from PartsExpress or MCMElectronics. They are home audio subwoofer amps specifically designed for what you want to do. they come in a variety of wattages.

300W RMS at 4 ohms will be plenty.

A 50 amp power supply is a couple hundred dollars. It has several noisy fans and the power supply output isn't perfect DC. The receiver doesn't have a remote turn on out that the amp needs to turn on/off. The power supply has to be manually operated. Some receivers have a DC trigger that could be used as a turn-on with the power supply switch bypassed...

Lots of hassle, lots of noise, lots of money... And no advantage over a product designed to do the job. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Just because people do it, doesn't make it a good idea. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.