Alternator

Participant count
  • Participant list
Something doesn't sound right here. How do you know it's an alternator issue? I thought you had a HO alternator already? Remind me, do you have a 2nd battery?

If no, then maybe it's time for one.

Last edited:
Something doesn't sound right here. How do you know it's an alternator issue? I thought you had a HO alternator already? Remind me, do you have a 2nd battery?

If no, then maybe it's time for one.

I don't have a HO alternator and I have a xs superbank it's 4,000 watts max so I did a clamped test and I had 53 volts with 23 amp multiply that and it's a little over 1200 watts. What could be other issues bc I would not to spend $600 on a alt rn

Wow, okay, that car comes with a 60 amp alternator. These guys are excellent, reasonable, like $320 for a 250 HO alt for my mazda. Fill this out and they will send you a price with various options like powder coat , etc. I've referred several people and they all seem to be quite happy with their products.

I don't have a HO alternator and I have a xs superbank it's 4,000 watts max so I did a clamped test and I had 53 volts with 23 amp multiply that and it's a little over 1200 watts. What could be other issues bc I would not to spend $600 on a alt rn
Apex has great customer service too. They will recommend the correct size belts, etc. Here is the quote/product I ordered.

250 amp small case 6 phase hairpin $319

(120-140 amps at idle)

Wow, okay, that car comes with a 60 amp alternator. These guys are excellent, reasonable, like $320 for a 250 HO alt for my mazda. Fill this out and they will send you a price with various options like powder coat , etc. I've referred several people and they all seem to be quite happy with their products.

How did you did you find out my car came with 60 amp alt? I thought it was 120

Was that at Idle? Around 600rpm? Most alternators are not going to put out max. voltage until the internal regulator kicks in at /or around 1200-1500rpm,and majority of smaller vehicles around 2k rpm. You deff need supply for the demand to feed that amplifier alone to get the power out of it to serve any justice.
As Ive said for years"It takes Power to make Power". There are no real short cuts that can be considered/taken to gain performance for the supply for the demand

My bad, must have been looking at another nissan. Looks like it is 110 amps. That should be fine with the XS power you have. As has been noted, need to rev it to around 1500, see what that looks like.

Still, with the XS power, you should be fine as it will draw from the XS power for surges as needed. Not for no motor running use, but great for power on demand use. I don;t think you have anything to be concerned about unless you get one of those 4 by 350+ 4 channel amps. Still, probably okay.

What is under the hood? Stock?k, AGM?

A 3k full bridge can easily draw 150 ish amps playing music and nearly double playing test tones. 110 amp stock alternator is probably only doing 30 amps. Heck the stock alternator in my 87 mustang does like 15 amps at idle lol. You mostly have a combination of not enough amperage and rise which is limiting your power. You start doing systems with a few thousand watts you have no choice to start upgrading the charging system and using wire that is capable of doing real work. Alternator upgrade is definitely in order!

My bad, must have been looking at another nissan. Looks like it is 110 amps. That should be fine with the XS power you have. As has been noted, need to rev it to around 1500, see what that looks like.

Still, with the XS power, you should be fine as it will draw from the XS power for surges as needed. Not for no motor running use, but great for power on demand use. I don;t think you have anything to be concerned about unless you get one of those 4 by 350+ 4 channel amps. Still, probably okay.

Just a stock normal o orileys battery

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...