Alpine Type R vs Eclipse Titanium vs Eclipse Aluminum (12")

evanc
10+ year member

Va
I currently have a 12" Type R ported and tuned to 33 hz and it sounds great, but I am also looking for ways to make things sound better.

Lately, I've come across a few deals for an Eclipse 12" Aluminum and an Eclipse 12" Titanium. I don't mind spending the cash to swap out woofers, but I wanted some of your opinions on what you guys think about the comparisons between each of these. (I have enough amps lying around that the power requirements for these is not important here as much as the SQ of the woofer).

I am strictly concerned with SQ, but I also like my music loud. I prefer it to sound good as opposed to the volume though if I can only have one, but I prefer both.

Thanks for all of your help.

I figured so. Is there a huge difference between the Titanium and Type R/Aluminum?

If the Aluminum and Type R are similar, there is no need in me spending the cash on the Aluminum. However, if there is a HUGE difference in the Titanium, I may cough up the cash, although it is quite a bit.

I've been out of the car audio scene for quite a few years now (since 2005) since I had some pretty good setups that I was happy with. Now I've got some new vehicles and am looking to outfit them again and am trying to relearn the new brands, technology... although it doesn't look like a lot has changed.

Is there any relationships that you could give me that would show the relationship between the Type R and Titanium from woofers back in those days? It's just a lot of cash for me to spend and I want to make sure that I'm plenty happy with the decision.

And... it's going to cost me around $250 for a NEW Titanium 12". If there are any other suggestions where my money could be better spent, I'm all ears.

Thanks for all of your help.

SQ. I like to listen to it loud if the woofer allows it... but I don't want to sacrifice SQ for SPL.

Look into TC if you want SQ, they made the eclipse titanium anyways.
I've been out of this for a few years, so pardon my lack of knowledge if this is a stupid statement.

The speaker I'm referring to is the old school Eclipse SW9122. From my looking around, it appears they released some other woofers out recently and they didn't seem too impressive.

I've never heard of TC though... and I've noticed Eclipse has seemed to gone out of business. Is TC where they went?

I've been out of this for a few years, so pardon my lack of knowledge if this is a stupid statement.
The speaker I'm referring to is the old school Eclipse SW9122. From my looking around, it appears they released some other woofers out recently and they didn't seem too impressive.

I've never heard of TC though... and I've noticed Eclipse has seemed to gone out of business. Is TC where they went?
No, TC made subs for several other brands, such as Eclipse Orion Lightning audio(back in the day). TC then turned into audiopule but I believe is now back as TC.

the Eclipse SW9122 is the old eclipse titanium, I don't believe they make new titaniums. The titaniums are NASTY subs.

edit: audiopulse*

Id recommend an IDMax, but those are about $200 out of your price range.

You could look for a used JL 12W6, Arc Audio Arc 12's (OEM by Image Dynamics), Tidal Audio (OEM by Image Dynamics), or Exile Audio 12XPE (similar to a JL W6, but better SQ and cheaper).

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.