Alex's uncles' amps

adulbrich
5,000+ posts

Olive oil un-virginer
Ames, Iowa
So, two of my uncles want to buy a pair of my Soundrive subs.

My uncle Matt has a 2017 Yukon XL. He said he was looking to spend around $500 on an amp.

My uncle Tom has a 1971 Firebird. He wanted to buy one of my VP 7k's, and I told him I didn't really want to sell them because the price has gone up on them.

Matt is limited on budget, but not really space or weight. Tom would like the lightest weight, but isn't really concerned about space or budget. His wife would like him to get a reasonably priced amp though. Both of them will be getting alternators and batteries from me, so they will have solid electrical systems.

For amps, I'm stuck between two VM ECD 5400.1's or a Taramps HD 8k for each pair of subs.

The VM's are $200 each ($400 for the pair). Subs are dual 2 ohms, so I'd need a 2 ohm HD 8k. Any dealers want to shoot me a quote?

The VM's look solid for the price, imo. Thoughts? I want to get them some good budget amps, but don't want to get them trash.

https://www.vminnovations.com/Product_70464/VM-Audio-ECD5400-1-Encore-5400W-1-Ohm-Class-D-Amp-Digital-Mono-Power-Amplifier.html

e12f8fc463804a46bfd341d01a3d30b2

So, two of my uncles want to buy a pair of my Soundrive subs.
My uncle Matt has a 2017 Yukon XL. He said he was looking to spend around $500 on an amp.

My uncle Tom has a 1971 Firebird. He wanted to buy one of my VP 7k's, and I told him I didn't really want to sell them because the price has gone up on them.

Matt is limited on budget, but not really space or weight. Tom would like the lightest weight, but isn't really concerned about space or budget. His wife would like him to get a reasonably priced amp though. Both of them will be getting alternators and batteries from me, so they will have solid electrical systems.

For amps, I'm stuck between two VM ECD 5400.1's or a Taramps HD 8k for each pair of subs.

The VM's are $200 each ($400 for the pair). Subs are dual 2 ohms, so I'd need a 2 ohm HD 8k. Any dealers want to shoot me a quote?

The VM's look solid for the price, imo. Thoughts? I want to get them some good budget amps, but don't want to get them trash.

https://www.vminnovations.com/Product_70464/VM-Audio-ECD5400-1-Encore-5400W-1-Ohm-Class-D-Amp-Digital-Mono-Power-Amplifier.html

e12f8fc463804a46bfd341d01a3d30b2
looks mean ****. good separation and layout is one thing. circuitry and components used are another. you know better dammit. i think you are better off with a single larger amp. ill sell you my zenon 3600.1 for 550. does 3600 @ 13.8 can of course can be used at .5. i want to get a good 6kw for comps..

5k amp for $200?
If you get a pair I would assume it would do around 1200 or so clean from each amp... maybe.

We all know what the Taramps can do, I'd get that over VM any day.
Right, there's no way I'd expect 5k out of it. Maybe 2k, but that would be enough.

If you do buy those VM's a review would be awesome!
Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk
If I do get them, I'll do a review.

I know the reviews on the VM subs were garbage
Yeah, but the amps look solid.

Any other budget amps for two Soundrive subs?

Will have about 300 amps of alternator and as many batteries as they want.

Right, there's no way I'd expect 5k out of it. Maybe 2k, but that would be enough.

If I do get them, I'll do a review.

Yeah, but the amps look solid.

Any other budget amps for two Soundrive subs?

Will have about 300 amps of alternator and as many batteries as they want.
Cool. I see those all over the place. Those and the Dual 8001 look very similar. http://store.dualav.com/p/da8001-mono-amplifier-class-d

5k amp for $200?
If you get a pair I would assume it would do around 1200 or so clean from each amp... maybe.

We all know what the Taramps can do, I'd get that over VM any day.
If you do buy those VM's a review would be awesome!
Cool. I see those all over the place. Those and the Dual 8001 look very similar. DA8001 - Class D Mono Amplifier*| Dual Electronics
Hmm, those are more expensive.

Not sure if Stetsom still makes 4k2D but I really liked that amp when I used it, Legit power, ran cool, and small footprint.

Assuming your uncles aren't veterans with car audio you really don't want to put them into 5kw into a pair of those subs. They will break stuff fast.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.