Aftermarket Options….are there any?

Hello to all,

I am new to the forum and this is my first post…😬 I have a 2005 BMW with the all too well known Harmon Kardon L7 Failbox and guess what happened? It failed!..😲 I am hoping to find some recommendations for some aftermarket components that are same level of power and performance as the L7 Failbox but I can not find any components that fit the optical M.O.S.T. Network on my hoopty! There are plenty of Amplifiers available with more than enough power to accommodate my needs. The real problem here is the optical digital signal that needs to be converted to analog and split into 5 channels. I would think that the aftermarket could do much better than the oem for a fix for this! The L7 has been so problematic that I don’t want to even consider going to the Broke My Wallet mothership for another L7 Failbox. Thanks to all that reply…😁….😘

I can't imagine what you'd use to integrate with almost 20 year old "optical" system. Personally I'd replace everything all around and run new wires directly to be safe. Anything short and you're inviting sources of failure from old/stock components. Of course I'd do this for just about any vehicle from the start anyway.

All this stuff must have seemed really slick driving out the showroom anyway.

Whats odd about this car is that it was a base model and it is so flagrantly over engineered that it was a tech masterpiece back then and an absolute nightmare now. My gmc truck has 2 computers on board and a separate sound system and this Bimmer has a whopping 39 separate computers on board And the sound system is integrated into the network which makes it all the more difficult to repair or replace. Seems the only way to get a new head unit is to mount it in the glove box completely separate from the iDrive nightmare…😆

Last edited:
Crutchfield can tell you what will fit, if you enter your car info

theres these too, maybe for your next car... https://www.jlaudio.com/collections/car-audio-processors-oem-integration

x2 what hispls said, i would put all new stuff in. and id get good stuff that will last. you can move it all over if you get a different car someday too

im still running a deck and speakers from like 2006. my subs from 2008 iirc too

all still works like new

Deff. agree with installing something newer and more up to date with less of confusion with more modern features . It would make things alot easier

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...