A-Pillar Build Pics

quoted from my build log

apillar
img1522zk7.jpg

trim ring for tweeter, mold was made out of the foam pieces you make flower arrangements with

img1523kt3.jpg

after some sanding

img1525mz4.jpg

test fit

img1530ht9.jpg

img1531ia4.jpg

quick first layer of bondo

img1537sv2.jpg

sanding 1st layer down, another layer was put on, but alas no pics

img1541xq4.jpg

tweeter mounted in, pure hertz secsyness

img1542ee3.jpg

secsyness once again

img1547jm3.jpg

well a normal person would say those pics were taken right after i got them put in a just havnt put it back up yet

...BUT

its been like a year and that handle is sitting in the storage room because i couldnt find the screws...laziness FTL //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif

OP:

I've played with the RS100s a bit in the past, and you can get away without needing a large format tweeter. Usually the large formats have the benefit of being able to play down to 2khz (large rear chamber), to mate well with your larger speakers. Since you're wanting to do midrange in a-pillars, you can easily mate the RS100 to a small format tweeter, since the Dayton can play up to about 5khz without break up. Most small formats can play that low no issues.

Actually I have a set of small format Vifa XT25s if you're interested. The play pretty flat out to 18khz but need to be completely on axis for that response, PM me if you're interested.

OP:
I've played with the RS100s a bit in the past, and you can get away without needing a large format tweeter. Usually the large formats have the benefit of being able to play down to 2khz (large rear chamber), to mate well with your larger speakers. Since you're wanting to do midrange in a-pillars, you can easily mate the RS100 to a small format tweeter, since the Dayton can play up to about 5khz without break up. Most small formats can play that low no issues.

Actually I have a set of small format Vifa XT25s if you're interested. The play pretty flat out to 18khz but need to be completely on axis for that response, PM me if you're interested.
I figured I didn't need a large format tweeter to play low cuz of the midrange but I just wanted to try them out/do something different, have more tuning options, and from a few setups I've heard I've really enjoyed the "airyness" in vocals when crossed low. Although, my T/A options are very limited so it'd probably be a lot harder for me to blend my mid w/ the tweeter unless they are on axis and pointed exactly the same. Let me look up some info on those Vifa's. I was browsing around madisound and partsexpress today for some other cost effective small dome tweeters but I don't really know what to look for as far as numbers/specs are concerned.

Thanks Bamaboy for the build pics, that's a great idea. How strong will that foam with bondo be? Would it be able to hold a 3" midrange and heavy large format tweeter?

Hey bamaboy, those look GREAT! I want to do something Really simalar to that but didn't know how to start it. The bondo sticks to the plastic? I tried resin but it came right off.

Yo Kyle, Thanks Man I got it!!!Sorry for the OT Luis, I'll call you later bro!
good to hear man, its a neat piece

Hey bamaboy, those look GREAT! I want to do something Really simalar to that but didn't know how to start it. The bondo sticks to the plastic? I tried resin but it came right off.
thanks

bondo should hold better than resin, you have to scuff up the plastic and the holes are drilled in the plastic there to give it something to grab on to

I figured I didn't need a large format tweeter to play low cuz of the midrange but I just wanted to try them out/do something different, have more tuning options, and from a few setups I've heard I've really enjoyed the "airyness" in vocals when crossed low. Although, my T/A options are very limited so it'd probably be a lot harder for me to blend my mid w/ the tweeter unless they are on axis and pointed exactly the same. Let me look up some info on those Vifa's. I was browsing around madisound and partsexpress today for some other cost effective small dome tweeters but I don't really know what to look for as far as numbers/specs are concerned.
Thanks Bamaboy for the build pics, that's a great idea. How strong will that foam with bondo be? Would it be able to hold a 3" midrange and heavy large format tweeter?
Commence reading!

http://zaphaudio.com/tweetermishmash/

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.