coolio3800
10+ year member

i have 4 alpine type r 12's in two separate boxes. i only have space to do one of three options as they are in the trunk of my 2001 sable/taurus. OPTION 1: i can face all four of them up (this would give me more space to the top of the trunk and more air flow but its not outputting toward the cab) OPTION TWO: face one in towards the cab and one out towards the trunk. or OPTION THREE: face one of the two up and the other in or out (ie. the rear one up and front one into cab or front one up and rear one fire into trunk lid) both are front fire front port btw... and this is my first post so if im leaving something out im sorry! haha

Experiment and see what configuration sounds best. Generally all subs facing towards the rear of the vehicle works best in trunks but it looks like that's not an option. I'd even try facing one box towards the rear of the vehicle and the other with adequate space in between facing the back of the other box.

Id try facing them all the same direction (which in your case is up). Your likely going to have a lot of cancellation using 2 different boxes unless they are identical.

I am just going to throw it out there, but 4 12s in a taurus=not enough trunk space. Not sure how big of a box the Type-R's like, but I barely fit a proper box with 2 9512s, and I drive a concorde which has one of the biggest trunks ever.

yes these are prefab boxes, but i did do research and found boxes as close to spec as i could. think a spec built sealed box could be as loud as a slightly off ported one? and i'll try facing them up for now, thanks

i just built a box for 2 type rs and the box itself took up all the space in my impala. i say just use 2 and build a box at 4.4^3ft @ 32Hz and i think you be pleased and it would probably sound way better than 4 in prefab boxes.

i just built a box for 2 type rs and the box itself took up all the space in my impala. i say just use 2 and build a box at 4.4^3ft @ 32Hz and i think you be pleased and it would probably sound way better than 4 in prefab boxes.
Id try facing them all the same direction (which in your case is up). Your likely going to have a lot of cancellation using 2 different boxes unless they are identical.

your answer is in these two posts. you will have cancellation regardless, but it will be minimized if all are facing up. up and back will cancel and be a waste.

you could also place them on their side facing toward each other - with a few inches in between. this could rock.

four subs in too small of airspace won't perform as well as two in proper airspace.

your best bet is to remove your rear seat and build a box for all four there - all facing forward or up. otherwise, go with two.

FYI - subs facing back don't sound the best - they are boomy and inaccurate. it is usually louder at some frequencies due to phase interference (constructive) that occurs where most music puts bass. but you get cancellation that is unnatural. forward without a baffle has cancellation in the common bass frequencies. forward with a baffle sealing off the trunk is SQ performance.

thank you! exactly the answer i was looking for, taking out my back seat isn't really an option, so i guess its bye bye with these four twelves and hello to a couple higher end ones. any ideas on what i should possibly look for?

id personally would pick up a pair of ssa icons, sundown sa, skar vvx, fi ssd, fi q, aa chaos, dd2512, ia deathrow, ia flatline, there are others but these are a few of the know common performers around the same power handling 600-1000w. i love my dd 2500 series 10 best sub ive owned thus far and ive owned quite a few of the higher ends

We are saying that two type-R in proper enclosures will be louder than four type-R in your plans. seriously.

You would need to substantially increase power to get more output from different subs. You can look at efficiency compared to the type-R and there are certainly better subs on the market. But differences are subtle when the amp is the same. Enclosures and orientation make a larger difference than the sub.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.