4 ohm sub measuring 2-2.5 ohm. Amp going into protect.

Participant count
  • Participant list

Psychojic

CarAudio.com Newbie
Last week my sub fell over on its face when I took a corner too fast. Afterwards my amp would go into protect when I turn up the volume. I checked my sub for any damage and couldn't find any visually. I measured the ohms and it reads 2-2.5 ohms at the sub terminals. I also measured the speaker terminals (bridged) at the amp when it would go into protect and the ohms would shoot to 300 ohms for a half a second, not sure if thats normal or not. I temp fixed the issue by connecting the speaker wire to just the left side instead of having them on the bridged terminals. Both the amp and sub are about 13 years old. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Amp: JL Audio JX360/2
Sub: JL Audio 12W1v3-4

Last week my sub fell over on its face when I took a corner too fast. Afterwards my amp would go into protect when I turn up the volume. I checked my sub for any damage and couldn't find any visually. I measured the ohms and it reads 2-2.5 ohms at the sub terminals. I also measured the speaker terminals (bridged) at the amp when it would go into protect and the ohms would shoot to 300 ohms for a half a second, not sure if thats normal or not. I temp fixed the issue by connecting the speaker wire to just the left side instead of having them on the bridged terminals. Both the amp and sub are about 13 years old. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Amp: JL Audio JX360/2
Sub: JL Audio 12W1v3-4
I like to make a False floor out of 3/4" Plywood or the like. Cover with sub box carpet and secure on the ends or where ever you can screw it down to the metal of the vehicle.. Then with subs out of the enclosure, secure the enclosure to the false floor inside the enclosure, put subs back in and generally pretty secure. Gives you something to mount your amps to as well and other gear/

I like to make a False floor out of 3/4" Plywood or the like. Cover with sub box carpet and secure on the ends or where ever you can screw it down to the metal of the vehicle.. Then with subs out of the enclosure, secure the enclosure to the false floor inside the enclosure, put subs back in and generally pretty secure. Gives you something to mount your amps to as well and other gear/
That's how I'm set up too...made it real easy to drop a 2nd battery in and block it off so it can't move

Last edited:
That's how I'm set up too...made it real easy to drop a 2nd battery in and block it off so it can't move
Right On man. Its not as expensive to do as most think and doesnt take rocket science to do with minimum of tools, and its so much better than the Cardboard inserts that Car manufactures Cheese out on, and looks a hell of alot better than those dammned L brackets that tend to give eventually from road vibrations ect. and are an Eye sore to me

Last edited:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...