How much can you overpower a sub?

Justinw303

[Space for Rent]
10+ year member
Jun 10, 2005
Silver Spring, MD
I know it's always better to overpower a sub than underpowering it, and it's not overpowering that usually blows a sub, etc., but how much is too much.

For instance, could you send 200 watts to a sub with an RMS of 140?

I'm looking at a CompVR that handles 200 watts in the smallest recommended sealed box size, but only 140 watts at the maximum. Would I hurt anything by continuing to power it like this?

amedeuce

:crap:
10+ year member
Jan 1, 2004
CA
no problem, only 60 watts over.

Justinw303

[Space for Rent]
10+ year member
Jun 10, 2005
Silver Spring, MD
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
How is it better to overpower than underpower?.... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif
It's what I've ALWAYS heard. Better to push a sub a little hard than push an amp a little hard.

jsloan10

10+ year member
Apr 10, 2005
anywhere
Kicker is conservative in its ratings, you will get away with the extra 60watts no problem, unless your playing test tones continuously at full volume.

djjdnap

FreakyFreaks ofall Freaks
10+ year member
Mar 27, 2002
indy-nap-lis
they say you can over power a sub because distortion usually kills a sub, meaning you will turn the amp up and atry to get those extra watts out of it but really just give off distortion.

BUt your right if the gains are set right it doesnt matter

Justinw303

[Space for Rent]
10+ year member
Jun 10, 2005
Silver Spring, MD
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
So it really depends on how smart you are with your amp?

I know enough not to set my gains too high because I've heard the horror stories, so I guess I'm safe.

PhatTonyDeMarco

C0CK,its whats for dinner
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
May 1, 2005
West Palm Beach, FL
So it really depends on how smart you are with your amp?
I know enough not to set my gains too high because I've heard the horror stories, so I guess I'm safe.
No no no... You need to PROPERLY set your gain. Now just set it to where you "think" it might be good. Read the "How to set your gain" sticky in the amplifier forum, you will learn something.

Polecat

Team Kicker Manager
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
Apr 19, 2004
Stillwater, OK
plus, actually in a sealed, you can usually power it more.

JimJ

Tangled Up in Blue
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
Jun 18, 2004
Hillsborough, NC
they say you can over power a sub because distortion usually kills a sub,
arrrrrggghh.

Squeak and I have answered this three times in the past week //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Distortion does not inherently kill speakers.

As for the original question, you can overpower a sub by several thousand watts, but only if you really know what you're doing, in limited apps. SPL competitors "burp" their subs very close to enclosure tuning (so excursion is the lowest it possibly can be) for very short lengths of time (to prevent thermal failure of the driver, because there's no VC cooling).

In normal usage, I wouldn't go over 100W unless you know the sub can take it (like older model Type R's, which were notoriously underrated).

RandyJ

CarAudio.com Veteran
10+ year member
Nov 3, 2004
USA
arrrrrggghh.
Squeak and I have answered this three times in the past week //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif
It does seem to be quite a popular topic as of lately.

To further detail what he is saying, the only reason a sub will fail will be due to either thermal or mechanical limits being reached and surpassed. You can send all sorts of distorted shit to yoru sub and it could take it like a champ, but if your coil/s overheats then that is when you will run into problems. Or if you overexcurt you can run into problems also. Broken pole pieces, mis-aligned coils, bla bla bla.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)

Latest posts

Newest threads

Most posts - Past 30 days

Latest classifieds