3/4 Mdf

I was looking at lowes and they sell in a huge amount, im pretty sure im not going to use the entire bulk so is there a way i can purchase the specific amount i need?

try looking in the yellow pages for "contractor supply" stores or "cabinet making". A lot of these types of stores have large quantities of factory seconds or "B-Grade" MDF that you can purchase for ungodly low prices....Just make sure there's no water damage or edge cracking. If you see any part of the MDF that shows swelling or warping, don't buy it. The same goes for cracked or warped edges. This is a sure sign that the product has been water-logged at some point or another and is now completely useless for your purposes.

Most of the time on B-Stock, you can cut a small piece off (usually a broken corner) and go to town. Lowes and HD charge anywhere from $20-30 for a single 4'x8' sheet, whereas B-Stock can be had for $10-15 for the same sheet. I use so much of the stuff, I actually buy in bulk, so I get the A-Stock for the same price I used to pay for B-Stock //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I was looking at lowes and they sell in a huge amount, im pretty sure im not going to use the entire bulk so is there a way i can purchase the specific amount i need?

ur prob talkin bout a 4x8 foot sheet, id buy a full sheet its cheaper that way in the long run rather than buying like 2x4 foot sheets i think they sell, and you could get extra in case if a mess up or a future project

In my experience, with my local Home Depot and Lowe's:

- Both carry 3/4" MDF in 4' x 8' sheets, and 2' x 4' sheets

- Lowe's also has 2' x 2' sheets and 4' x 4' sheets

- Both will cut a 4' x 8' sheet into smaller pieces for you. HD policy is first cut free and they charge you for any extra cuts. Lowe's will cut a 4' x 8' sheet into 4" x 4" pieces if you want and not charge you anything for it. Your local HD may or may not actually charge for extra cuts. This is a great way to get a large sheet "rough cut" into pieces close to the sizes you actually need. Especially if you don't have the tools at home to make good, clean, straight cuts in large sheets.

- Home Depot also carries 1/2" MDF in full 4' x 8' sheets and 2' x 4' sheets. I've never seen a full sheet of 1/2" MDF at my local Lowe's, although occasionally I've found 1/2" in the smaller sheets.

- I've never compared the prices, so I can't help you there.

Well I started constructing the box today and I basicly just cut out all the nessesary pieces.... Now the thing im worried about is the box flexing and i've been reading about bracing and im not to sure how to do it.... if anyone knows how would they be so kind to post a reply thanks.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.