2ohm vs .5 ohm

Yeah, 2000 watts at 8 ohms, is the same 2000 watts as at .5 ohms . A great rule of thumb is to buy an amp with 30-50% more power than you actually need. Then wire it at it's preferred, or higher ohm load ....

Whomever told you that you will lose your lows by wiring at 2 ohms needs to get better educated. MOST all amps will actually hold better control over the sub wired to a higher ohm load.

I once had a guy tell me he doesn't wire to 1 ohm because the bass is too low been laughing about that for a few years now but along the lines of what booming Tahoe just said I was always told that with the same Subs in the same box whether you wire high or low you will see roughly the same percentage of rise so if you were wired at point five rise to one ohm that's roughly 50% and if you are wired at 2 you will still see 50% rise so you will rise to four not sure if that's true I always just wire as low as I can without endangering my amps

Thanks for all the input! Im still learning everyday //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif it all started with two basic subs thrown in the trunk... now im hooooked ! Ill post a in depth review of this 3000.1 when it comes in, ships at the end of this month.

yeah, I wasn't getting into the whole impedance rise convo. But yeah, if you rise from .5 to around 1, then wired at 2 you will normally end up around 2.8-3.2 . But your still not going to lose your lows.

I know if my choices were to wire a 2k 1 ohm amp to .5 ohm to get the power i need, or wire a different amp to 2 ohm. (and I could afford it) Id get a 4.5 - 5k korean amp and wire it to 2 ohms.( and have built in upgrade room and headroom) Or a 2 ohm 3k Brazilian amp. Don't forget, at .5 ohm efficiency, thd, damping = poop ....

The loss of bass jumping from .5 Ohm to 2 Ohm is as laughable as buying a 21,000W amp that has a 1A fuse. Impedance has nothing to do with frequency response. If an amp is rated 20Hz - 20kHz, it will cover it completely over whatever load is connected, if its there. The lower the impedance, the easier it is to get higher power out... that's it. period. And as long as the amp supports the impedance, you're safe. (now about that 21,000W amp I mentioned @ 1A... no way, not even at the mains voltage of your home.... you're source would have to be at least 21,000V with 100% efficiency.)

EDIT: when I say Impedance has nothing to do with frequency response, that isn't exactly true... for an amp though it pretty much holds true within usable impedance and frequency... impedance and frequency are best related at the speaker level and has little to do with the amp itself.

Last edited by a moderator:
Then your dealing with box rise....so .5 ohm might be better off than 2 ohm.
see thats i what i was thinking when i said depends what amp u talking about.. cause if u at .5 and rise to around 1 or 1.5 even that amp probably does pretty good power at 1 ohm lets say 1.5k if another amp ran at 2 ohms rises to about 4 ohm that amp may do same 1.5k at 4 ohm or may do 1k so that could be less power..

yeah, I wasn't getting into the whole impedance rise convo. But yeah, if you rise from .5 to around 1, then wired at 2 you will normally end up around 2.8-3.2 . But your still not going to lose your lows. I know if my choices were to wire a 2k 1 ohm amp to .5 ohm to get the power i need, or wire a different amp to 2 ohm. (and I could afford it) Id get a 4.5 - 5k korean amp and wire it to 2 ohms.( and have built in upgrade room and headroom) Or a 2 ohm 3k Brazilian amp. Don't forget, at .5 ohm efficiency, thd, damping = poop ....
yeah it don't change freqs that are played but in my 1st reply i said u may loose some power depending on amp and got a dislike..

yea if I had the choice I would do what gotgixer said and go with the bigger amp and run 2 ohms. Rise will be about the same when comparing 2000@2 or 2000@half ohm. If you're strapped on cash, then the smaller amp with half ohm sounds more practical. Currently I'm running a 2k+ amp on a single 10" at 2 ohms so it becomes about 1k watts give or take when the sub is only rated at 600w. Amp always runs cool and my lows are bangin' with no subsonic filter. I could've gone with a 1k@half ohm but I'm still very happy running at gramp ohms.

yea if I had the choice I would do what gotgixer said and go with the bigger amp and run 2 ohms. Rise will be about the same when comparing 2000@2 or 2000@half ohm. If you're strapped on cash, then the smaller amp with half ohm sounds more practical. Currently I'm running a 2k+ amp on a single 10" at 2 ohms so it becomes about 1k watts give or take when the sub is only rated at 600w. Amp always runs cool and my lows are bangin' with no subsonic filter. I could've gone with a 1k@half ohm but I'm still very happy running at gramp ohms.
yeah me, u, los, udofus and 10 others at 2 ohm but yet i take all the crap for it

IF any company says their inventory is stuck in customs (such as more than 5-10 days), then one of several things is happening-

1- the international supplier did something wrong or illegal (wrong is extremely rare unless brand new to the market)

2- the receiver has done something wrong or illegal (usually illegal as it's almost impossible to do something wrong as you're suppose to use a 3rd party to handle everything)

3- the 3rd party done something illegal (only happen if the receiver lied about something)

4- the receiver is clueless about running a business and doing imports (let it go the first couple times.. but continue happening.. just give it up)

We've been importing for 9 years so far without any issues as we have good broker firm and backup brokers, 3 on call international shipping companies ready to expedite imports and us.. who know what we are doing after the first year, lol.

I say this because if a not-new company starts to complain about customs taking too long.. i'd steer clear of that company. S

Look what happened to CT Sounds when they did something shady. IRS hit them with over $200,000 payback requirement by trying to evade paying X amount of taxes several years ago. Don't lie and don't cheat.

Pre orders Svck. Your prly going to be waiting for your amp for a long time and then you will get pissed off because wolfamaudio will say amps are stuck in customs and it’s its not their fault shipping is taking so long. The reviews are a joke, amps not even available yet and reviews are like I run it .25ohm daily and no problems when the amp isn’t even out yet
i literally dont get what the hard on is with this wolfram sh*t

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.