2014 Scion FR-S

Participant count
  • Participant list

SoCalArgento

Hello everyone, new member first time posting here. So I’m planning on doing my first DIY build as what my car currently has was previously installed by a professional installer. I’m tired of paying for labor costs but most importantly I want to be able to do this stuff myself and learn along the way as I very much enjoy working on my car.

So currently I have a Kicker 5ch KX800.5 amp pushing a pair of 6.5in Focal K2 components/tweeters and a pair of Focal 4in 2-way coaxial speakers in Dash, and a pair of 5/8in coaxial Kicker speakers for the rears AND 10in Kicker CVT 4 ohm shallow sub in a sealed enclosure.

Soon to be acquired is a SoundQubed S1-2250 mono amp for a single Sundown SA-12-D4 in a custom 1.5 net cu ported enclosure @35hz. I want a compromise between boomy bass and some punchy bass but more towards the boomy side as I listen to rap/techno/rock mostly and a little here and there of everything else.

I plan on disconnecting the sub speaker wires from the Kicker amp so that is only powers the front and rear speakers. The Kicker amp currently uses 4 AWG for power from my stock battery, however the SoundQubed amp says it uses 0AWG. I would like to keep the 4AWG instead of running new power wiring. Could I use 4AWG wire for the sub amp? I would only be running the sub amp at 2-ohm which is 1300W rms per website and the Kicker amp would be pushing 400W rms to front/rear speakers.

Would this amount of current be safe to use on 4AWG? I know I probably have to upgrade my in-line fuse nearest the battery and use a fused distribution block to split the power wires for both amps? Also, how would I ground both amps?

I’m completely new to car audio installations but have been reading a lot on this and other forums to get a baseline of how to do things. I know I wrote but I tried being as thorough and concise as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Assuming your amps will be located next to each other, I would run 1/0 gauge from the battery to the amps and use a fused distribution block and just run 4 gauge from the block to the amps. That way you are set up for more if you ever want to upgrade.

I'd just do a new run for the Soundqubed amp. It is cheap and relatively easy to do.
Assuming your amps will be located next to each other, I would run 1/0 gauge from the battery to the amps and use a fused distribution block and just run 4 gauge from the block to the amps. That way you are set up for more if you ever want to upgrade.
That’s what I was thinking as well, I’ll just run new 1/0 wire to the distribution block and use the 4 gauge I already have to each amp. What fuse rating should I use for the in-line fuse that’s nearest the positive battery terminal? I would be running 400W +1300W so around 1700 RMS total.

I should also have each power wire coming out from the distribution block to each amp fused accordingly? SoundQubed recommended a 200A fuse for their amp but am assuming that’s if I was using all 2300W, so should I still use a 200A fuse? The Kicker’s manual says to use a 100A fuse but again I would only be using half the power?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.