2012 GMC Sierra Data Wire Problem

Participant count
  • Participant list

redb0ne98

Ct.
While installing subs into a 2012 Sierra and keep the stock head unit a data wire got cut. I brought it to a radio shop they connected everything and told me i would have to bring it to the dealer to have the computer reprogrammed so that the tire monitor system light and the airbag light would go out and unlocked the radio. the radio locked when the data wire was reconnected apparently. i brought it to the dealer and was told that they could not reprogram it or get the radio to unlock because of the data wire repair. it was repaired using a but connector. they told me that either a data wire is crossed or that due to the but connector it is too much resistance for the small amount of voltage that goes through the wire. my question is how many data wires are behind the radio and would soldering the wire and heat shrinking it help?

first off why the heck are they cutting your data wire? rookie move. Second your best chance is going to be to solder the wire back together. just make sure the tip isnt too hot and taped well and you should be ok. Weather or no that fixes the problem will remain to be seen. If they were hacking things up and disconnecting and reconnecting things with the key on can really mess up new vehicles.

well dealer found that radio was blown up when data wire was cut 900 $ latter had to get new radio radio shop is sayin it wasnt them so now have to fight for them to pay for it i can say 1 thing i will never go back to that shop they **** very sad to say but so true ... thanks for the reply

sorry to hear your problems bro, but i have and still do work at a gm dealer for over 10 years now.

first, cutting the data wires(4) will in no way damage the radio. it will only put it in theft mode if it has been changed. the radio keeps the vin# stored in itself and even taking out of vehicle and putting back in would not make theft come on.

second, as far as being able to unlock by the dealer? should of been a real real easy task. you do a vehicle theft relearn. not that hard to do. we do it all the time for the local body shop.

as far as the radio being blown from the data wires being cut, that is funny to me. sounds like the shop swapped your unit for a bad one, but the dealer should of still been able to reprogram it. the story from both ends(shop and dealer) sound bogus to me.

as far as putting the data lines back together, shoot me a pm with ur email and vin# and i will send you the schematic with the data lines so you can put them together properly. may not cause a problem now, but later down the road it will. as far as how to reconnect, soldering and heatshrink are the preferred method.

good luck getting your money back bro

Last edited by a moderator:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.