2006 Lincoln LS install

im looking to get a lincoln ls in the next week or so, and ill be doing 6.5's in the rear, do u have an idea of how much mounting depth is there? do i have anything to worry about?
i'll probably try to have someone build me a 6x8 to 6.5 adapter, and im looking to get a pair of Precision Power PPI 356CS
The mounting depth shouldn't be a great concern in the LS. However, I had clearance issues between the cone of the speaker and the door panels due to the .75" mdf baffles that I used. If you trim the stock speaker "pods" and the internal portion of the door panels before installing the 5x7" to 6.5" adapters, it won't be an issue.

I guess I should post a couple pics of the progress.

I used the Profile 4 channel to test the components. It's not mounted and it wasn't left in the vehicle.

testamp.jpg

Here's the Alpine IVA-W505 in it's new home.

dvdplayerisin.jpg

This is a pretty nice dvd player.

That's it for now. Trunk build coming very soon. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Thanks. The vehicle owner has been puking his guts up all day, so the trunk build is on hold until he's better. Maybe tomorrow.

Hope it's not pig aids. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I spent several hours working on the LS today. I went over all of the wiring & made sure the interior pieces were re-installed properly. After that, I connected the Sirius tuner and mounted it under the front passenger seat and started toying around with the PAI-120.4. I got the RF T152S comps sounding pretty nice within a matter of minutes and the vehicle owner is satisfied with them. Hell, I'm pretty satisfied with them myself. I know that a lot of people speak highly of certain "budget" components, but I don't think I've heard any component under $100 sound better than the RF T152S. I'm not saying they're high-end by any means, but they're awesome for $98 shipped.

I also went to Lowe's and bought some backing for the vinyl, several cans of 3M High Strength 90 spray adhesive, a nice electric staplegun and plenty of staples. I came home and started the trunk build, but ran out of daylight shortly afterwards. There will, most definitely, be some moderately interesting pics in this thread tomorrow night. If I'm really lucky, the entire job will be finished...

The latest update involves NOTHING. My friend is leaving on Tuesday, and he won't be back until some time in December. I don't have a proper shop to work in when the weather gets cold, so this build is officially out of my hands.

I'm looking for a box builder as of now.

Yup, the LS is a complete pain. I'll never work on another one...
if its anything like my 300m its terrible. I got 13 cubes of trunk space but am forced to run a pair of 12's theres only 14" clearance under the rear shelf opening into the cabin. there a support beam about 6" thick that drops down.

101_0571.jpg

101_0570.jpg

The thing the xovers are mounted to. This is how it was setup with the subs firing into the cabin before i installed batteries in the back. Now all that **** (xovers and amp) are relocated and the batteries are on top of the boxes subs still firing into cabin. the way its setup the support beam is forcing me to waste about 3 cubes of space.

Pretty similar problems with the LS, mendon. The trunk looks big at first glance, but once you start tearing things down you quickly learn that it's not very big at all. The spare tire well engulfs nearly every square inch of useable space, and the trunk opening is so small that you can barely squeeze a box in there.

Then there's the matter of EVERYTHING else (and I do mean everything). Every step of this install has been twice as difficult as normal. Even running/hiding the RCA's was difficult. It's a miracle that nothing was broken. As I said; I'll never work on another LS. I simply don't have the patience...

Pretty similar problems with the LS, mendon. The trunk looks big at first glance, but once you start tearing things down you quickly learn that it's not very big at all. The spare tire well engulfs nearly every square inch of useable space, and the trunk opening is so small that you can barely squeeze a box in there.
Then there's the matter of EVERYTHING else (and I do mean everything). Every step of this install has been twice as difficult as normal. Even running/hiding the RCA's was difficult. It's a miracle that nothing was broken. As I said; I'll never work on another LS. I simply don't have the patience...
thats a shame cuz they look so sexy. I wanted an ls but not if its harder to work on than my 300.

thats a shame cuz they look so sexy. I wanted an ls but not if its harder to work on than my 300.
It may not be as bad as the 300, man. I have no experience with that particular vehicle, so I can't really comment on it. The problem I have with the LS involves patience, tools, pain and time. I have too little of some of those things and too much of others.

I'll finish the project eventually, but I need the services of a high quality enclosure designer. I've contacted a guy who uses a cnc machine, so hopefully we'll be able to work something out...

build the enclosure inside the trunk.
I can't physically do that. My knee & ankle are far too f*cked up. And the owner of the vehicle doesn't have the skill.

I've had my fill of this vehicle. The owner and I have discussed things and the box will be designed and/or built by someone other than myself. I'll wrap it, do the finishing work and wire everything up, but beyond that I'm done with it. Case closed.

It'll get finished whenever a box desinger/builder accepts the job...

This build isn't quite dead yet. I've been sending private messages back and forth with a box designer for a while now and he's done a pretty d*mn good job with the goofball request that I made.

After much deliberation, I decided to utilize the wasted space of the spare tire well instead of designing around it. The battery and fuse box will be lifted out of the well and relocated to the passenger side of the trunk. I'll then fabricate an area behind the rear seats to store the spare tire & jack then cover all of the ugliness with a false floor. Both of the amplifiers will be mounted under the false floor and they'll be showcased under plexi. To finish, everything will be wrapped in padded black vinyl. If everything goes according to plan, this ridiculous f*cking project might turn out okay after all. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Here's an idea of how the enclosure will look:

cookesbox-1.jpg

This thing isn't 100% done, but it's a pretty fair representation of what the finished product will be. Elbows will be attached to the aeros internally to obtain the proper tuning frequency. I personally think it's kind of goofy looking, and I'm sure that many of you think it's goofy looking as well, but at this point I no longer care. It'll be well built, it'll serve it's purpose and it'll be hidden away beneath the false floor.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.