2005 Scion tC SQ Hertz Audison Pioneer Build Log

is it actually air tight with the window there and everything? Also even if it is isn't it a REALLY big enclosure for a 6.5?
As air tight as it can get considering there is a window there. I know one thing, air leak or not, it's better than having that gaping hole in the door.

the owner and i were both talking tonight about the door seals and the night and day difference it made. that single step transformed the performance and bass response. you can tell the window seals want to give on some songs. and once you roll the window down you have an air leak there.

the airspace is large, but that is why most car audio speakers are designed with T/S parameters suitable for free-air mounting.

we worked on the sub enclosure tonight - pics to come.

box is in. 3/4" MDF on the top and sides. 1/2" MDF on the bottom. about 4-5 layers of fiberglass on the inside and outside. it's fairly stout. we added CCF on the floor under the fully carpeted box. it is bolted to the floor.

sciontcbox001.jpg

a false floor and beauty panels are next

sciontcbox003.jpg

we also raised the tweeter spheres. once we finalize a location we'll finish them off. this additional height was nice, but they are too close to the glass and are brighter now. we'll split the difference and move them down a bit.

sciontcbox005.jpg

the sub is as close to the corner as possible - corner loading was the goal.

it sounds awesome. even though the sub still needs to be broken in.

bass is still perfectly placed in the sound stage. running 63Hz crossover points at 12dB/oct for sub and speakers. everything is very nice.

the end result will have a protective cover for the sub that uses a very open black fabric so not to restrict airflow, but to protect from debris. that magnet is so strong it kept taking the screwdriver out of my hands during install. rubber gaskets are used on both sides of the speaker basket for some decoupling.

box has about 70% fill - a cotton/poly blend was used.

I'm done hollowing out my wooden spheres with hole saws and a router bit for the dremel, and it turned out nice. Which size of the threaded brass did you use? The longest, or the second longest? Also, how did you secure the threaded brass to the spheres? With nuts, or did you just screw them in? These seem to be fine just screwed in after using a 3/8" drill bit. Thanks for any help.

Yeah I screwed and wood glued it and it turned out fine. As far as the forstner bits, the ones around here at lowes and HD didn't have the ends that fit in a drill like the hole saws. It looked like they were designed to go in a drill press which I don't have. Anyways, sorry if I hijacked your thread, thanks for the help and inspiration to do this.

No hijack, a valid question. I got that kit a Lowes for $50. The largest bit in the set costs $25. Seemed like a deal. But the Irwin kit had a hex end that would be better. A round end is just silly.

lovely build im running hertz in my acura TL question, since this was a SQ geared build was there a particular reason why u went with the premier 980bt over the 880 or 800 since they do time alignment and car run active which im sure those hertz would have loved over going passive?

The 980bt was chosen for Bluetooth with USB capability. In retrospect the owner feels that he should have put USB as a priority since he uses 64GB thumb drives and the 980BT doesn't offer a good search function. The 980BT has a 15 band EQ, crossovers on each channel, and T/A on each channel. Crossover slope is limited to 6 or 12dB/oct. the menu structure is combersome and we don't like the volume knob transport.

Running active with rears would have added another $1500 to the budget since we would have used another Audison and spent more on the HU. We can run front only active now, the amp has adequate crossovers and the HU can T/A each channel and we located the crossovers at the amp so we could wire active. The car sounds incredible, soundstage extends outside the vehicle, it is hard to want more. Having rears allows the owner to adjust the sound stage height and depth.

We have discussed a DEX-99RS.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.