2005 Scion tC SQ Hertz Audison Pioneer Build Log

Such an amazing build. I definitely want to do a Sq install like this one day. So inspirational how everything is so perfect, where did you get the sheet metal from? I want to seal up my doors like that.
Local hardware stores sell sheets of aluminum for cheap. Tin snips can cut it out but then deaden to prevent noise issues. Adding PVC encased fiberglass batt in the doors is planned next.

Excellent build. The only thing I don't understand is the deadening. Why did you use so much CLD I don't believe the 25% rule is always enough but it seems like you went beyond overkill especially putting multiple layers on the floor of the vehicle and wheel wells (which are curved) basically places where you wouldn't expect much resonance. Also can't believe you did all that and no MLV! Other than that excellent build his car must be a **** tank now. Cant imagine how it affected mileage :p

Got deadener? Sick build. Your doing this **** the right way. Gonna sound clean and ill be dammed if your gonna hear any rattle in this thing.

Excellent build. The only thing I don't understand is the deadening. Why did you use so much CLD I don't believe the 25% rule is always enough but it seems like you went beyond overkill especially putting multiple layers on the floor of the vehicle and wheel wells (which are curved) basically places where you wouldn't expect much resonance. Also can't believe you did all that and no MLV! Other than that excellent build his car must be a **** tank now. Cant imagine how it affected mileage :p
keep in mind the two people installing this are an acoustical engineer and a recording engineer. we did what was necessary to control resonance in the car and we tested resonance on each panel before deciding when to stop. most outer panels have two layers. i ignore the 25% "rule" because it wasn't based on science or ASTM test methods, just someone's opinion. my results are good because i don't follow rules from those who are not recognized as industry experts in their field (and even then I still question them until i concur with the test methods and conditions).

deadener weight is still less than a passenger. no worries there.

you can research what automakers do for testing to determine resonance and factory deadener needs to satisfy their goals (regardless of how meager). there are ASTM tests for this sort of thing.

Last edited by a moderator:

keep in mind the two people installing this are an acoustical engineer and a recording engineer. we did what was necessary to control resonance in the car and we tested resonance on each panel before deciding when to stop. most outer panels have two layers. i ignore the 25% rule and my results are better for it.
deadener weight is still less than a passenger. no worries there.
by no means am I an acoustical engineer but Ive always thought that 25% rule was BS.. sure some deadener will help but MUCH more is needed, especially in a SQ set up like this.

even for my truck, i double layered the inner and outer doorskins of my truck, double layerd the floor, all in AT 60 mil. back wall and roof are single layer due to the fact that I ran out,

also.. as far as CCF concerns, i used some to go over where the blow through cut was in my truck since we only tack welded the panel back in to keep from welding and holy hell.. the ccf has silenced it, i mean it was sealed and deadened over before i applied the ccf but now it is completely silent, my truck is way quiter than it was previous the Second Skin CCF.. so IMO, all the deadener you can afford and apply to your car will help. @4bannger

finally got back at this thing. sounds great, but had some door noises/buzzes at very high volumes

had to go back and open up the doors. luckily, screws made this process very easy.

added pvc encased fiberglass in the door cavity.

Scion_tC_Doors001.jpg

Scion_tC_Doors007.jpg

Scion_tC_Doors011.jpg

Scion_tC_Doors015.jpg

Scion_tC_Doors010.jpg

also added foam and deadener to the door panels. foam between various parts and seams.

Scion_tC_Doors014.jpg

Scion_tC_Doors012.jpg

Scion_tC_Doors008.jpg

including foam at the door clips to keep them stiff. they were audibly buzzing (the things you notice as you make a vehicle very, very quiet)

Scion_tC_Doors013.jpg

we also upgraded the stock 100A alternator. ordered a 160A from Quality Power. sadly, it's still not enough, the LRx5.1k is a beast. a 240A is the right choice. we have contacted Quality Power and they are going to let us upgrade. The customer service is outstanding. We highly recommend them:

http://www.qualitypowerauto.com/

a dedicated ANL fuse holder for the alt positive wire

Scion_tC_Doors004.jpg

Scion_tC_Doors003.jpg

Scion_tC_Doors002.jpg

the battery was made on 10/2010. it was floating at 12.2V even after a charge. we cannot find the receipt. Farm and Fleet doesn't have a record of the purchase because they don't keep track of that. Autozone owns Optima and doesn't have a record of what Farm and Fleet does. Despite the battery having UPC and other codes that allow Optima to track date of manufacturer and where it was sold, we don't know if they will honor their 3 year replacement warranty. Had we bought the battery from Autozone, they would have tracked the purchase for us.

It is not likely the warranty will be honored. As a result, we will NOT be buying another Optima product and I will no longer recommend them in the forums.

The next battery will likely be a DieHard Platinum Group 34/78DT (made by Odyssey).

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you given stinger batteries a look? I use all of their wiring products and like them a lot and I know capacitors are a touchy subject to some but I've always used them and never had a problem with batrery fade. Just have to make sure you get a powerful enough one. Stinger sells one that's 20 farad and cost a little over 200 retail.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.