2 cu ft sealed = Too big for an EDA (PLEASE HELP)

adammk5
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
I have an alpine cda 7894 deck with a 2003 rockford fosgate power 451s. My amp is 450 rms bridged in 4 ohm and I have a 2 cu ft sealed wedge box.I just ordered an ED A from their website and 2 cu ft sealed is not recomended.

When I get my ED A and install in my box will it sound too low for me?

Will it be too efficient because it's in a huge box?

Will I need any polyfill for my box?

How good will my ED A sound?

I need help on this one, thanks guys.

this is what you do:

buy some MDF...

make two 0.4 cubic foot cubes. (Not internal, inclusive of wood. 0.1CuFt is left for driver displacement)

place cubes inside the box and attach with screw. Be careful not to penetrate through the walls, you don't want screws sticking outside.

If you were good with wood, you COULD make reduce volume using a diagonal wall piece, so the corners would be filled.

either way, it will effectively reduce volume. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

It will sound a bit "boomy" I would imagine. I have mine in a 1.7 cu. ft. enclosure...sounds awesome, but leaves a little to be desired. I'd like tighter bass rather than the "boomy" bass.

The larger the enclosure, the lower the Qtc. 2ft3 should give you close to a Bessel alignment (off the top of my head, I'm assuming), which is a relatively dry (not boomy) sound. Many people in home theatre like the sound of low Q's better, however, for car audio purposes, it's the opinion of many that the butterworth alignment (Qtc of 0.707) is quite good at overcoming the higher noisefloor of a vehicle. IMO, 2 cuft is fine, but if you want more of a peak, then add some wood in the enclosure. Simple enough.

got a point there... you might increase efficiency by increasing the size of the box. However, the fact remains that the sub won't be as TIGHT (peaky) as the one in a recommended enclosure.

Ditch the box and go with plans done up by the people who know your subs better than anyone else. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.