2 18's in a RANGER!!!

FINALLY!! Well, I spent about 2 hours last night cutting all wood and everything, and I made the port and painted it too. This morning I woke up at 7 and started getting to work. I took about an hour to assemble the box and get everything cut out. While I was doing that, Evan (the kid that owns the ranger) started on getting the seats pulled out and everything unscrewed from the box. After I got the box done, I helped him pull out the box and get a brace screwed to the back of the cab to screw the box to this time. Then, after getting the box secured, we ran the wire under the box (where it's cut out for the transmission well) and got a piece mounted ontop to act like a wall (it was gonna be too much of a p.i.t.a to make a whole wall piece). Then after all that, we slapped on the CAMO carpet that we got from out place of work, which turned out pretty B.A. And I know this is going to be asked, but is was just easier to make a whole new box than try to modify the old one.

Box specs: 9.5 cubes after all displacement

Tuned to about 34hz

Port is 30" wide and 4.5" tall

Sound report: This setup sounds a lot cleaner than the other one ( probably because the other one rattled so much //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif ). The lows aren't as good (but I they might be about the same since when we played a low note with the old box, all we could really hear was the center support rattle), but still very clean, and it is ALOT louder in the 42-46hz range.

Now, on to the pictures. I hope y'all enjoy.

P6140433.jpg

P6140436.jpg

P6140437.jpg

P6140438.jpg

P6150439.jpg

P6150440.jpg

Like I said in the update post, it just sounds amazingly cleaner. We don't think the lows are as good as the last box, but it completely dominates the 42-46hz range compared to the old box. I can't wait to get this thing on the meter!!! But we didn't have much time to drive around and tune it because he had to leave town and go to a fathers day party or something. We are going to swap trucks next monday night, so I'll have updates tuesday night or wednesday after I cruise town and get it fine tuned.

No we didn't. But the wierd thing is, the subs don't seem to have as much excursion as they used to. Even on a really low song, they move about 3/4 as much as they did before. Would the fact that the port is more restrictive now, or could the impedence rise be even higher, therefore giving the subs less power? Because if that's the case, it wouldn't be hard to rewire them to .5 ohms just to see what would happed. And if we did, by turning the gains down to compensate for more power make the amps run more efficient?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.