need to upgrade my system...please help

Some DudeMan
10+ year member

hi yall, need help b/c i really dont know anything about car audio. evidentaly neither does best buy 'pros' //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

i drive a 2001 saturn l200.

the front doors got Pioneer SPS-17C2 in them.

the back doors got Alpine something. i dont know the exact model. i looked at them and all i saw written on them was 'type s' so i searched it, and found this:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7652612&type=product&id=1134701298078&ref=06&loc=01&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=7652612

and thats exactly what they look like.

trunk got an Insignia amp(not sure on exact model) and Kenwood 12s.

some pics of trunk:

294j51c.jpg

closeup of amp:

b9c4ea.jpg

top of amp:

28l7wh5.jpg

right side of amp:

30ix15i.jpg

left side of amp:

2iu2d76.jpg

i dont know the model of the insignia amp. all it says on it to distinquish itself is insignia on top. it came in a insignia sound package i bought at best buy a few years ago along with 2 insignia 12 subs. which have since been replaced since they kept blowing. dont know what i was thinking even buying insignia in the first place.

what i'm looking for and need help/advice with:

first of all i want to upgrade my head unit. i currently have a JVC KD-AR260. its good and all but i am sick of my cd's always skipping and just using cd technology in general. i am going to be buying an ipod touch soon, so i want a head unit with ipod hookup capabilities. i'm thinking about just having some velcro on my gear shift and just control the music from the ipod. so i dont have to keep changing cd's and worrying about them skipping. so i need a recommendation of a good head unit with ipod hookup capabilities, doesnt have to be the BEST, just something thats good quality and nice. needs to have a remote too.

what i have heard on my system was that the speakers in my front doors are bad speakers. i have also heard i should get another amp to power the door speakers. what should i do? please help. should i keep the insignia amp powering the kenwood subs? should i use the insignia amp to power the door speakers and get a new amp to power the subs? or should i get rid of the insignia amp and get 2 new amps, or 1 new amp? are the speakers in my back doors good? i'm sorta lost on what to do b/c like i said i dont know anything about this kinda stuff which is why i came here for help. i am done getting the advice of the 'pros' //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif at best buy/circuit city.

im not trying to have the best system around or anything, just want to upgrade what i have to get the best out of it. im not looking to spend money out of my ass either.

and i sorta need some advice kinda quick, because i have a 10% off coupon for ebay i want to use on this. please help...

just here to say be careful when buying stuff off ebay

most higher end products come with warrantys but when buying from anyone on ebay you are no longer protected under warranty

I would say play it safe and buy from a authorized seller

if you want to use the 10% off ebay I would recomend you buy amp kits or something along those lines

not looking for smart ass responses, thanks. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif:rolleyes://content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif:rolleyes://content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif

300-400 on just a head unit? wow this site is full of jokesters. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif everything. maybe 400-500 at the most. i just want to make the best of what i have really, not trying to redo everything.

advice i got on another forum is...

move the alpines to the front doors. and not worry about putting anything in the back? and having the insignia amp power them, and get a new amp to power the kenwood subs?

what about.....

selling the pioneer speakers in the front, getting more alpines so i have alpines in all 4 doors, having the insignia amp power all 4, then buying a new amp to power the kenwood subs? and of course a new head unit. would that be an upgrade over what i have now? or just a waste of time/money? if that sounds good could yall recc me an amp? and a head unit

hi yall, need help b/c i really dont know anything about car audio. evidentaly neither does best buy 'pros' //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif
i drive a 2001 saturn l200.

the front doors got Pioneer SPS-17C2 in them.

the back doors got Alpine something. i dont know the exact model. i looked at them and all i saw written on them was 'type s' so i searched it, and found this:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7652612&type=product&id=1134701298078&ref=06&loc=01&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=7652612

and thats exactly what they look like.

trunk got an Insignia amp(not sure on exact model) and Kenwood 12s.

some pics of trunk:

294j51c.jpg

closeup of amp:

b9c4ea.jpg

top of amp:

28l7wh5.jpg

right side of amp:

30ix15i.jpg

left side of amp:

2iu2d76.jpg

i dont know the model of the insignia amp. all it says on it to distinquish itself is insignia on top. it came in a insignia sound package i bought at best buy a few years ago along with 2 insignia 12 subs. which have since been replaced since they kept blowing. dont know what i was thinking even buying insignia in the first place.

what i'm looking for and need help/advice with:

first of all i want to upgrade my head unit. i currently have a JVC KD-AR260. its good and all but i am sick of my cd's always skipping and just using cd technology in general. i am going to be buying an ipod touch soon, so i want a head unit with ipod hookup capabilities. i'm thinking about just having some velcro on my gear shift and just control the music from the ipod. so i dont have to keep changing cd's and worrying about them skipping. so i need a recommendation of a good head unit with ipod hookup capabilities, doesnt have to be the BEST, just something thats good quality and nice. needs to have a remote too.

what i have heard on my system was that the speakers in my front doors are bad speakers. i have also heard i should get another amp to power the door speakers. what should i do? please help. should i keep the insignia amp powering the kenwood subs? should i use the insignia amp to power the door speakers and get a new amp to power the subs? or should i get rid of the insignia amp and get 2 new amps, or 1 new amp? are the speakers in my back doors good? i'm sorta lost on what to do b/c like i said i dont know anything about this kinda stuff which is why i came here for help. i am done getting the advice of the 'pros' //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif at best buy/circuit city.

im not trying to have the best system around or anything, just want to upgrade what i have to get the best out of it. im not looking to spend money out of my ass either.

and i sorta need some advice kinda quick, because i have a 10% off coupon for ebay i want to use on this. please help...
Are those monster cables on that Insignia amp? I would rip all that **** out, put it on Craislist, for like 2-250 and save up some money for other stuff. Start with the HU. I like Pioneer Hu's but I would choose Alpine if my spot was a dealer of them.

Rock the pioneer with the speakers you got now, and then change those out with some nice components. Others can tell you better about those.

Then take your time about which subs/amps and all of that to get.

So if you got money this week, get an HU and an amp for the inside.

Stop worrying about brand names and other peoples opinions of ur stuff. Half the time when people generalize about brands they cant tell u why they think what they do theyre just saying what theyve heard. Ask urself what ur systen does and doesnt do well enough for u and go from there. An ipod hu of any decent brand can be had for under 250. BB has a couple good ones for under 150. If ur bass sounds good leave the sub stage as is. If not any good alpine/kenwood/pioneer sub amp will do. Id look for cheap but decent components and a used 2 channel for highs and power the rears off the hu if u want more highs. That could be done for 3 or 350 n ot including install if u shop. Dont worry about if the rear coaxes are :good:. If they function leave them alone. Front stage is what make or break an sq system. Important thing if ur on a budget is dont just replace things because uve heard the brand isnt good. Replace what doesnt do a good enough job for your ears and keep what u like.

I agree with eharri3.

my thoughts:

on your front speakers:

are they blown? do they sound that bad? if they still sound good to you, why replace them.

on your insignia amp:

do you like the way your subs sound? no need to replace it if it sounds good to you. the one thing i would do is to upgrade to larger speaker wire from the amp to the subs, that stuff in your pic looks kinda cheap.

also, i don't think you'll be able to run all your door speakers off that insignia amp because it looks to only be a 2-channel amp. meaning it should only run 1/2 speakers. you can run run 4 speakers from a 2-chanel amp, but you have to make sure the amp (and speakers for that matter) will run at the ohm load created by hooking up 2 speakers per channel.

I would get a 4-channel amp to run your 4 door speakers. the clarity and power will be much better coming from an amp then from the HU itself.

I'd look at getting a new HU first, since that seems to be what you want to upgrade the most. then if you have money left over, look into a new amp for the door speakers and so on.... what ever you feel like upgrading next.

take a look at the panasonic line of HUs. i love mine and the newer ones look to have the ipod interface you're looking for with the right adapter.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_11455_Panasonic+CQ-C800U.html

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_9310_Panasonic+CA-VDC300U.html

there is a new HU W/ipod adapter for under $300.

appreciate all the feedback.

the front speakers do sound pretty **** shitty to be honest. i think the one on my passenger door might even be blown, or atleast close to it.

the subs sound pretty good, i like them. so you just suggest getting new wiring from the subs to the amp? what kind of wiring then?

what about pioneer premier head units? those are the ones i been looking at. then i read some reviews on them and people were saying they were annoying because the big knob on it controls too many different things and is a nuisance. so i just don't know. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.