$1K build 2005 Equinox. First time attempting anything audio related.

I'm going to have to go pre-fab for the box, time and money constrictions warrant it. So with that in mind, where should I be looking for said pre-fab box. Previous comments have got me thinking, can I run a 4-ch amp, with the front 4 speakers on 2 ch, and the sub off the other 2? And I honestly never see myself going to a brick and mortar business over an online store.

Fair enough. It just looked like you were in agreement since your post was right after his. I was about to say...are you serial?!
To be honest, the OP's initial system wouldn't have been that bad. It would have been a decent upgrade over factory, although I'd skip the rears, or do the rears and leave them powered by the HU and faded out unless there are rear passengers.

OP, what kind of music do you listen to (and how loud do you listen to it) and will you be installing?
I have made recc's that are FAR from that other poster's ideas. And you are right, it wouldn't have been "that bad". But why settle for "not that bad" when you can have better? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

With some more Q & A and some shopping techniques, I think better is attainable for OP's budget.

Fair enough. It just looked like you were in agreement since your post was right after his. I was about to say...are you serial?!
To be honest, the OP's initial system wouldn't have been that bad. It would have been a decent upgrade over factory, although I'd skip the rears, or do the rears and leave them powered by the HU and faded out unless there are rear passengers.

OP, what kind of music do you listen to (and how loud do you listen to it) and will you be installing?
I listen to mostly stoner rock, like CoC, Down and Kyuss. And on a long ride I'll throw in techno to keep me up. As for volume, as loud as my factory system lets me.

I'm going to have to go pre-fab for the box, time and money constrictions warrant it. So with that in mind, where should I be looking for said pre-fab box. Previous comments have got me thinking, can I run a 4-ch amp, with the front 4 speakers on 2 ch, and the sub off the other 2? And I honestly never see myself going to a brick and mortar business over an online store.
With prefabricated enclosures, I normally recommended sealed to avoid the all too common high-tuning, lack of port area, and other issues with many prefab ported boxes. There are some people that build for fair prices, but it'd probably be ~150 shipped at best. (Obviously alot of variables to account for).

That being said, there is a large amount of drivers that fit these applications well. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

With prefabricated enclosures' date=' I normally recommended sealed to avoid the all too common high-tuning, lack of port area, and other issues with many prefab ported boxes. There are some people that build for fair prices, but it'd probably be ~150 shipped at best. (Obviously alot of variables to account for).
That being said, there is a large amount of drivers that fit these applications well. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif[/quote']

This. If you do decide to stay prefab and you're ordering online. Check out sonicelectronix.com. Once again, prefab=stay sealed. From what I've seen their sealed boxes are built pretty sturdy.

Alright; pre-fab, stay sealed. Go with a 4-ch amp, run the fronts off 2, and the sub off 2, let the head unit run the back doors. Looking at alpine for the HU as recommended, and am looking at 1- SSA-DCON for the sub. Not sure if I should got 10" or 12". there's not much price difference so I guess the enclosure price will be the deciding choice. I've gone from an un-educated choice to one with so many variables, Thanks to all. And if you read this, and see something that can be improved whiten budget; $1.2K feel free to let me know.

why do you have to go with a prefab box because of expenses?? I paid RAM_Designs 10 dollars and got one built to spec for my car and the sub, went to home depot spent 40 dollars total on a sheet of MDF and they used the cut sheet and cut it all up for free. Then you basically glue and clamp.

Would be much more beneficial I believe than spending 40-50 on a prefab box... if u can find them that cheap

why do you have to go with a prefab box because of expenses?? I paid RAM_Designs 10 dollars and got one built to spec for my car and the sub, went to home depot spent 40 dollars total on a sheet of MDF and they used the cut sheet and cut it all up for free. Then you basically glue and clamp.
Would be much more beneficial I believe than spending 40-50 on a prefab box... if u can find them that cheap
Perhaps he doesn't have the knowledge, tools, space, or time to build a box. Leaving him stuck purchasing a box. To have one made for him will run $150 and up if it needs to be shipped and that may not be in his budget. Prefabs are fine as long as he stays sealed and finds a sub/s that is appropriate for a sealed box.

On another note OP, AMI creations also does DIY box kits. Where he will design a box and makes the cuts for you and ship you the wood. You then just have to assemble and you'll have full plans and all locations for screws will be marked, so if tools are your issue, that may be an option as these kits aren't too badly priced. Your local lumber yard/home depot may even make cuts for you as well but you have to trust them to do it right as many have had bad luck with inaccurate cuts. However, if building just won't work for you due to the other reasons, you'll be fine sealed.

Tools, space and time are the major issues. So far I've chosen the HU, and the door speakers. I'm looking at DCA-4100 - Cadence 1000 Watt 4 Ch Daytona Competition Amplifier for the amp. I'm trying to figure out what the impedance will be for the Sub after I bridge it to a 3ch. I plan on going with a single 12". Sorry if what I'm witting isn't clear. I'm pretty new to this.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.