$1K build 2005 Equinox. First time attempting anything audio related.

That amp will give you 250watts@4ohms to work with on that third channel. Dual voice coils exist to create more wiring options. In your case, you'll want a sub that is either single 4 ohm voice coil, or dual 2 ohm voice coil. A dual 2 ohm can be wired in series to create a 4 ohm load like you need or it can be wired in parallel to create a 1 ohm load in case someone had an amp for it that did it's power at 1 ohm.

Yeah? And? That is true, if that's the OP's goal. That has nothing to do with recommending a set of MTX anythings in an MTX box with a Kenwood amp. Just...no.
Shut yo mouth!! Blue thunder amps and old school Thunder series will smash most any affordable amp in the same power range. Them bishes were BEAST. Great SQ , awesome power. 4500 subs????? NO!!! LOL. Chinese garbage , but the old school MTX amps were beast and the old school subs were decent. Don't use any NEW mtx stuff , it *****.

I had a feeling mclerico would find this thread and plug away //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif
amazing deal that 5 channel with a dcon give it 400rms, put some image dynamics up front

The voice coils will determine the final ohm load you can wire it up to the amp at. When running off the amp, 1 ohm is going to be the least efficient and 4 ohm will be the most efficient. Of course 2 ohm would be somewhere in the middle. Efficiency means how much current the amp is drawing off your car in order to produce the power its creating. For example, if you have a 500 rms amp and say it's 80% efficient, 500/0.80= 625. So your electrical would be seeing 625 watts, while your amp would be producing 500. This is important so you don't pull more current than your alt and battery can handle. It'll also be important to upgrade your big 3 and be sure to have a solid ground in the rear for your amp. Most amps are rated at 14.4 input voltage and as the voltage drops, so will the output from your amp. Maintaining your voltage as high as possible helps with your overall output from the amp. Different ohm loads as determine dampening over the sub, this is important for sound quality. Some people will say you won't be able to hear the difference from 1 ohm or 4 ohm, but 4 ohm will offer greater dampening than 1 ohm will. Dampening is basically control over the woofer. When the tone the sub is playing stops, how quickly does the woofer respond. A single voice coil will do as stated, a dual voice coil, by itself will go up or down from its stated ohm load. A dual 2 ohm can be wire 4 ohm or 1 ohm and a dual 4 ohm can be wire to 8 ohm or 2 ohm.

As people are posting, if you're looking for the most for your money, buying used is a great idea. You an find some great deals. Also keep in mind that not only the equipment you choose to go with is important but the install is just as important. Install can make or break a system.

Thinking about installing a system is what got me started wanting to build my own. Now I'm in the information overload zone. I've read you have to install a Cap before the amp to prevent the lights from dimming. There has to be more of reason than that.

Thinking about installing a system is what got me started wanting to build my own. Now I'm in the information overload zone. I've read you have to install a Cap before the amp to prevent the lights from dimming. There has to be more of reason than that.
99.9% of people here will tell you to avoid capacitors...I am one of them.

If you need an "electrical buffer/band-aid" without grabbing an expensive alternator, grab a small Shuriken or something similar. Though it may not be necessary with your vehicle and the options you choose.

I would think it'd NOT be necessary, if I was a betting man.

Shut yo mouth!! Blue thunder amps and old school Thunder series will smash most any affordable amp in the same power range. Them bishes were BEAST. Great SQ , awesome power. 4500 subs????? NO!!! LOL. Chinese garbage , but the old school MTX amps were beast and the old school subs were decent. Don't use any NEW mtx stuff , it *****.
Okay, you know what I meant. I've been around the block. I meant current MTX stuff.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.