1972 Dodge Dart

Participant count
  • Participant list

RFFreak4Life
10+ year member

I can't find any facts about this car, meaning i cant find any stereo stuff. What size speakers does it take? Size head unit? Wireing harness? Why cant I find it? This is my friends car, whom I'am installing a sound and multimedia system in. If anyone knows anything help me out. He wants to install at least two 12's and a fiberglass custom fit enclosure. Still I can't figure out of what I can put in for int. speakers, or a nice head unit. Probably a Pioneer Premier. Thanks.

You could try contacting Dodge, or a local reputable installer who may have the specs on the stereo stuff. My guess is that there are not any rear speakers OR maybe only one front speaker and one rear speaker. 4 Channel amplification was not the standard back then like it is now. You may have to build a dash kit for the HU. Keep us updated on how the install goes.

It does have two 6x9's or 6x8's in it in the rear. And it does have a DIN sized stereo in it. All factory though. My gf isnt ot hot about me and this car, considering I have a 440 I'm goin to put in, and im also building a 1987 Mustang with a 5.8, or 351M so she isnt to happy., The Dart has a 318 in it, i may keep that. but the mustang is my , 'Fast and the Furious American Style, the dart will be my The Fast And the Furious with out the stereo! LOL. thanks for your help.

BRiAN

I took a look at some installs on the Dart. It looked like 6x9's and a regular sized DIN opening in the dash was standard in the Darts. However, all of the front speakers were custom installed leading me to believe that there either are no front speakers, or there was only one, or the speakers were only 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 inch (smaller opening than many people car to use). I also checked Crutchfield.com and used their easy fit guide for the 1972 Challanger. This vehicle did not have any front speakers, used 6X9's in the rear deck, and had a standard DIN dash opening. because of the similarities between the two vehicles, I'm suspecting that the stereo components are also similar as car audio was extremely small scale in 1972. If you don't mind cutting into the interior of the doors I don't think that would be a problem although kick panels would be ideal. To take a look yourself check out http://www.sounddomain.com - then go to member pages and do a search for Dodge Dart. I also just did a Google search for the Dart and found some pics of stereo installs.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.