12'' thin type r

JessyBoy86

Senior VIP Member
So, after LosIsATool's recommandation, i'm considering getting my hands on one of those...

What kind of box would be best ? I'm not sure im willing to go for a fiberglass setup. I would like to fix it to the ceiling above the rear seats if that's possible. Do i need a sealed box or a port one ?

What volume do i need ? would a plywood box be good ?

Also, the woofer is 600 rms, is a 1000rms amp good enough ?

sealed or ported is up to what you are looking for out of the subwoofer. use the volume recommended by the manufacturer. if the sub is asking for 600w rms then 1000w rms is more than enough for it. just be sure with your tuning as you do not want to blow the brand new sub with poor tuning.

So, after LosIsATool's recommandation, i'm considering getting my hands on one of those...
What kind of box would be best ? I'm not sure im willing to go for a fiberglass setup. I would like to fix it to the ceiling above the rear seats if that's possible. Do i need a sealed box or a port one ?

What volume do i need ? would a plywood box be good ?

Also, the woofer is 600 rms, is a 1000rms amp good enough ?
You mean one of these?

Alpine SWR-T12 Type-R Thin 12" 4-ohm shallow-mount subwoofer at Crutchfield.com

I'm putting mine in a sealed enclosure larger volume than recommended my Alpine, an outside dimension 18"x18"x9" and powering it with 500W RMS. I'm not looking for a competition subwoofer, just a good clean loud one.

PS: I really don't know what I'm doing! But how wrong could this plan go?

PS: LosIsATool did not NOT recommend these, he has much better equipment in his ride! ;-)

John Kuthe...

sealed or ported is up to what you are looking for out of the subwoofer.
Ok but what can i expect in differences between one or the other ? my friend sent me some crazy software to calculate volume, port size and everything but it's clearly too much thorough for me !

Basically, i'm not looking into big punch but more smooth low-freq bassline....

Ok but what can i expect in differences between one or the other ? my friend sent me some crazy software to calculate volume, port size and everything but it's clearly too much thorough for me !
Basically, i'm not looking into big punch but more smooth low-freq bassline....
name some songs you listen to.

name some songs you listen to.
i'm into old school hip hop from mid 80's to early 00's !

song in particular.....i don't know, but those groups and many more :

The Pharcyde

Eric B. and Rakim

Kool G rap

Pete Rock and CL Smooth

WTC

Onyx

you know, those kind of classics ! :p

well, it's gonna be a 0.6cuft sealed box made of MDF.

I have a kenwood DDX471 double DIN Head unit i wanted to install but it seems waaay too complicated to retain the factory features such as rear DVD player, bluetooth, backup camera and controls on the steering wheel. So i was thinking of installing a converter such as audiocontrol LC2i or LC6i. I might upgrade the rest of the system later with a good front stage.

The factory system has 6 speakers, if i want full-range pre-amp outputs, i guess i need to plug all speakers in the converter ( mid-woof and tweeters) ?

since the LC2i model has 2-channel inputs only, left and right, do i have to link the left tweeter and left woofer together and plug 'em in the left input and same thing for the right channel ? or do i absolutely need a separate input for each speakers ? in this case i guess i need the LC6i ? i'm confused...

And how do i send the speaker signal to the converter while retaining the factory speakers on the HU ? Do i have to split the signal, one to the speaker and one to the converter ?

sorry if i don't make it clear, i'm a french quebeker and english is my second language :p

well, it's gonna be a 0.6cuft sealed box made of MDF.
I have a kenwood DDX471 double DIN Head unit i wanted to install but it seems waaay too complicated to retain the factory features such as rear DVD player, bluetooth, backup camera and controls on the steering wheel. So i was thinking of installing a converter such as audiocontrol LC2i or LC6i. I might upgrade the rest of the system later with a good front stage.

The factory system has 6 speakers, if i want full-range pre-amp outputs, i guess i need to plug all speakers in the converter ( mid-woof and tweeters) ?

since the LC2i model has 2-channel inputs only, left and right, do i have to link the left tweeter and left woofer together and plug 'em in the left input and same thing for the right channel ? or do i absolutely need a separate input for each speakers ? in this case i guess i need the LC6i ? i'm confused...

And how do i send the speaker signal to the converter while retaining the factory speakers on the HU ? Do i have to split the signal, one to the speaker and one to the converter ?

sorry if i don't make it clear, i'm a french quebeker and english is my second language :p
No dont use dinosaur units like audiocontrol. Get a proper digital sound processor instead. Factory head unit will always sound like sh*t when doing aftermarket setups unless you have something to flatten out the factory EQ curve and the other crappy tweaks they put into it to make up for the crappy stock speakers.

Audiocontrol is a thing of the past and should be buried in a ditch. It doesnt help tune anything, it doesnt flatten your EQ curve. It doesn't offer ANYthing really needed to have proper sound quality in comparison to modern day digital sound processors(DSPs). It might cost more and involved a lot of tuning but its gonna sound 1000x better once its done.

No dont use dinosaur units like audiocontrol. Get a proper digital sound processor instead. Factory head unit will always sound like sh*t when doing aftermarket setups unless you have something to flatten out the factory EQ curve and the other crappy tweaks they put into it to make up for the crappy stock speakers.
Audiocontrol is a thing of the past and should be buried in a ditch. It doesnt help tune anything, it doesnt flatten your EQ curve. It doesn't offer ANYthing really needed to have proper sound quality in comparison to modern day digital sound processors(DSPs). It might cost more and involved a lot of tuning but its gonna sound 1000x better once its done.
dammit, i was hoping you to tell me that it was a good choice ! DSP are kinda over budget to me for now....i've never add any amp to a factory HU but I know that even the cheapest aftermarket HU with pre-out is 10x better than any factory HU but i was hoping that those converters would do the job !

It pisses me off that not a single car manufacturer is ready to step into year 2016 and equip their car with decent HU with AT LEAST one pre-out RCA. Even audio system they sell as high-end in their cars are crap ! .... i just sold my '16 WRX with factory Harmon Kardon system in it, with a 8'' sub and 8 speakers. It was crap, as soon as you turn it up loud you hear bad distortion.

I would love to install this kenwood HU but i just can't tell my step-son that he won't be able to watch DVDs anymore....too bad.

dammit, i was hoping you to tell me that it was a good choice ! DSP are kinda over budget to me for now....i've never add any amp to a factory HU but I know that even the cheapest aftermarket HU with pre-out is 10x better than any factory HU but i was hoping that those converters would do the job !
It pisses me off that not a single car manufacturer is ready to step into year 2016 and equip their car with decent HU with AT LEAST one pre-out RCA. Even audio system they sell as high-end in their cars are crap ! .... i just sold my '16 WRX with factory Harmon Kardon system in it, with a 8'' sub and 8 speakers. It was crap, as soon as you turn it up loud you hear bad distortion.

I would love to install this kenwood HU but i just can't tell my step-son that he won't be able to watch DVDs anymore....too bad.
there's video retention adaptors for new head units that are vehicle specific. Its late in 2016 so most 2016 cars should have one. Also there's steering wheel adapters as well. Might be the most cost effective option getting those and putting the new head unit in.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.