12" sub in a smaller box or 10" sub in a bigger box?

Participant count
  • Participant list

dsw1204

CarAudio.com Elite
I was seriously considering the Audiofrog GB10D2 sub, but just can't seem to get myself to dish out that kind of green. So, I am now considering Image Dynamics subs. They are considerably less expensive and they seem to get a lot of good comments here on this forum. Space is a bit of an issue, so I am not sure what to do with the sub/box consideration. Would I be better off doing the IDQ12 in a 1.0 sealed box or the IDQ10 in a 1.6 sealed box? SQ being the main consideration, here.

Last edited by a moderator:
do u just like ID or what? also why wouldn't u do 1.25cf-1.5 12" box instead of larger box for a 10"? several 12's do work in small box even dc audio but if u can do 1.6cf 10 u can do proper size for 12"., and what not do like 1.25 ported 10"?

do u just like ID or what? also why wouldn't u do 1.25cf-1.5 12" box instead of larger box for a 10"? several 12's do work in small box even dc audio but if u can do 1.6cf 10 u can do proper size for 12"., and what not do like 1.25 ported 10"?
If it's the V4 then no less then 1.5 net for the 12.

I am not absolutely sold on ID. It's just that I have seen lots of people on this (and other forums) says lots of good things about them. But, as mentioned in my first post, SQ is my main consideration and it looks as if DC Audio is mostly about SPL. This is their quote from their website " "Ground Pounding" is what we are all about. This is not what I am looking for in a sub. I am wanting an SQ sub and it looks like the IDQ subs are just that. I looked at Morel, but they are outside my budget...same with Audiofrog. The IDQ subs fall within my financial constraints. I would be open to other manufacturers that fall within the same price as the IDQ subs, as long as they were SQ subs.

Regarding the size of the boxes I mentioned, I was just throwing out numbers. I was just wondering if a 10" sub in a larger box would sound better (SQ-wise) than a 12" sub in a smaller box, since it seems that everyone says that it is the box that makes the most difference...not the driver.

Yes, smaller sub in proper box will win almost every time (always for what you're trying to do).

Do look into the Dayton.

If you care about SQ alone you can use virtually ANY sub, build the appropriate box, and use EQ to make it sound just the way you like. 100$ sub + 400$ worth of EQ will outshine a 500$ snobophile brand sub with no EQ, and in fact you'd be hard pressed to convince me any of those elite priced subs will do anything that the Dayton or ID cannot.

If you're looking for home theater type low extension and big power handling you'd want to consider LMS, split gap, split coil, or similar low distortion high excursion designs, but in the 1 to 1.5 cube net sealed space constraint you can't expect that

dayton HO 12 hands down. Works in TINY boxes with great sq.
Find out exactly how much space you want to give up and get the most cone area you can in that space. Alpine Type S is another good one.
Yes, smaller sub in proper box will win almost every time (always for what you're trying to do).
Do look into the Dayton.

If you care about SQ alone you can use virtually ANY sub, build the appropriate box, and use EQ to make it sound just the way you like. 100$ sub + 400$ worth of EQ will outshine a 500$ snobophile brand sub with no EQ, and in fact you'd be hard pressed to convince me any of those elite priced subs will do anything that the Dayton or ID cannot.

If you're looking for home theater type low extension and big power handling you'd want to consider LMS, split gap, split coil, or similar low distortion high excursion designs, but in the 1 to 1.5 cube net sealed space constraint you can't expect that

That Dayton HO 12 is looking pretty good. The specs say optimum cabinet size is .33 ft. That seems extremely tiny. I can't seem to find a range of box sizes, although. Since it says "optimum cabinet size" does that mean that .33 ft. is the size that will give best performance? That would be good for me, since I would prefer smaller. However, I do not want to compromise on performance. If a little bigger will get me better performance, then I'll do that.

That Dayton HO 12 is looking pretty good. The specs say optimum cabinet size is .33 ft. That seems extremely tiny. I can't seem to find a range of box sizes, although. Since it says "optimum cabinet size" does that mean that .33 ft. is the size that will give best performance? That would be good for me, since I would prefer smaller. However, I do not want to compromise on performance. If a little bigger will get me better performance, then I'll do that.
Browse the comments/reviews on parts express and the topic of box volume should be discussed at length.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.