Build help- sql vs spl subs, the difference and what do i want?

evil_lies

Texas
So I have been all over the place with my car's system (on my head). After really thinking about it, I would prefer a decent sql set up. This is a budget build in my beater, and I am going to piece this together a little at a time.

What I don't understand is, what defined a sub as sql or spl? Is it as simple as ones designed for spl have larger magnets to make them slam?

Anyway, I listen to a pretty wide range of music, and want a sub that will compliment rock/punk/old country/maybe even some classical, yet come alive with hip hop and a little edm stuff. I think I want a single 10 or 12 in a sealed box, arou,d $150 for sub. Although I found I can get 2 Sundown 8's for that price so I might go that way. I don't know what amp yet. What sub would you recommend? I know this place leans more spl, but I'm bearing 40 and would like to keep a little of my hearing at this point, I've done enough damage. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

i agree u maybe better off sealed but 'd get 2 12's or at least 2 10's sealed or 1 12 ported., do u have room?.. for the most part most sq subs do have smaller mags and motors and maybe less power handling, normally less excursion however if u do sealed i'd get as much excursion as u can afford.. guy here had 2 killer infinity 12's trying to sell for weeks for $240 shipped in box awesome subs.. but if u get 2 subs u need more power too so what amp are u using? u wouldn't believe how good my pioneer 3003 pro sounds (ported) but i had older versions sealed sounded great with 300rms each.. so how much $ u looking to spend and do i need sub and box and amp or just sub?

the box has a lot to do with sq anyway.. look at low end jbls and nvx subs 1 sealed sub just ain't enough for me.. if u get a pretty cheap sub ported like E 12 bstock for $95 ported low enough will have fair sq and require less power to be loud than a sealed one will.. so depends if u running 500rms or 1k if 1k then decent sub ported (like the e) or 2 sealed if 500 i'd stick to 1 ported or 2 10's sealed.. for that matter those mtx 12's in a sealed box on amazon have great reviews only take 400rms total., i've just never been a fan u can get 2 sundown lcs 12's with sealed box $208 same with skar vd subs.. lots of fair cheap options..

I have an sq sub that has a 70 pound motor, and 4 inches of peak to peak travel, and 2000wrms. But it was much more than $200.
I get that the sky is the limit with this stuff, but I'm budget building. I'm not competing, just want some decent tunes in my ride.

the box has a lot to do with sq anyway.. look at low end jbls and nvx subs 1 sealed sub just ain't enough for me.. if u get a pretty cheap sub ported like E 12 bstock for $95 ported low enough will have fair sq and require less power to be loud than a sealed one will.. so depends if u running 500rms or 1k if 1k then decent sub ported (like the e) or 2 sealed if 500 i'd stick to 1 ported or 2 10's sealed.. for that matter those mtx 12's in a sealed box on amazon have great reviews only take 400rms total., i've just never been a fan u can get 2 sundown lcs 12's with sealed box $208 same with skar vd subs.. lots of fair cheap options..
I don't know which amp yet. I'm leaning towards something like the PPI 900.5 to run my fronts too. Its going in a mazda 3 sedan, but I'd like to keep the footprint small. I've had sealed boxes before, but never a ported box. I don't know if there would be too much bass on the less bassy music?

Also, where did you find the sundown lcs package with box for $208, share a link?

So I have been all over the place with my car's system (on my head). After really thinking about it, I would prefer a decent sql set up. This is a budget build in my beater, and I am going to piece this together a little at a time.
What I don't understand is, what defined a sub as sql or spl? Is it as simple as ones designed for spl have larger magnets to make them slam?

Anyway, I listen to a pretty wide range of music, and want a sub that will compliment rock/punk/old country/maybe even some classical, yet come alive with hip hop and a little edm stuff. I think I want a single 10 or 12 in a sealed box, arou,d $150 for sub. Although I found I can get 2 Sundown 8's for that price so I might go that way. I don't know what amp yet. What sub would you recommend? I know this place leans more spl, but I'm bearing 40 and would like to keep a little of my hearing at this point, I've done enough damage. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif
Most important is how much space you wish to give up for a box. Most modern woofers are designed to function best in ported alignment and apart from trying to limit space or do a stealth install there's almost no reason to use sealed box these days.

Most modern amps have remote gain knob either, shop for one of those and you can quickly dial the bass level to suit your mood or music on the fly.

I don't know which amp yet. I'm leaning towards something like the PPI 900.5 to run my fronts too. Its going in a mazda 3 sedan, but I'd like to keep the footprint small. I've had sealed boxes before, but never a ported box. I don't know if there would be too much bass on the less bassy music?
Also, where did you find the sundown lcs package with box for $208, share a link?
well just get 2 lcs or any subs buy 3/4" mdf sealed box on ebay $45-$55.. 3/4" single box ain't much cheaper u wanta go cheaper i always wanted to try those earhquake subs just because of 19mm xmax and cone cheap they only $58 400rms..

well that amp is 440 rms at 2 ohm so if u get 1 sub make sure it's 4ohm dvc, i think the earthquakes is svc.. peeps like these low end low power jbl svc subs very cheap if u do 2 of these should sound good https://www.amazon.com/CS1214-1000-watt-subwoofer-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B003A64AW0/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1499271632&sr=8-3&keywords=jbl+subwoofer

cheap and spl nor sql go in the same sentence.

it sounds like you want a little bass in your car which just about any sub will suit your needs. just dont get pyle boss or any of those REALLY budget subs.

hard to go wrong with sundown, the dcon is a great sub, ive heard good things about that dayton sub as far as a quality budget sub.

I single moderate priced sub will do well for a little extra bass. The most important part to how it sounds will be a good box. If you can build it have someone with a lot of knowledge design you a box. If not have a custom box built for you. Store bought boxes **** 95% of the time. A single 10 will take up roughly 3 cu and a 12 4.5cu so make your decision on that.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.