ford mustang speaker help

Participant count
  • Participant list

Jimg

CarAudio.com Regular
Factory setup is the Shaker 500 so it has the two 8 inch subs in the door  

factory speaker is 5 x 7 in the top part of the door ,  and 5 x 7 in the rear deck

I have narrowed it down to the subs running four 8 inch solobaric subs in the trunk

reason for this,  I already have them and it will only take about 1.5 cf total  to run them , I still want some trunk space and not have to take out the sub box if I need to change a spare tire

also not looking for HIGH SPL ,  just looking for a little thump without having to turn up the volume to high

I am going to not use the rear deck speakers at all, going to just disconnect them.

here is my question  

, crutchfield has focal iss 130 components on sale.  I was going to replace the top door speakers with the components   

they also have the focal iss 165 on sale,   I thought about replacing the lower door subs with them and playing with different locations to mount the tweeter from each set.

I would have to make a mounting plate or bracket to fit the focal 6 3/4 in the lower door panel to replace the factory 8 inch sub, no big deal for me to make the mounting brackets 

I will be using a Dayton 408 DPS to help adjust sound as need be  ,,,  keep in mind that this unit only has 8 channels of output 

will not be using any of the factory amp power , I will be disconnecting the factory amp power , and will be running all new speaker wire to the speakers from the amps that I will install

the setup below

thinking on using a two channel amp to control the ISS 130   

for the iss 165 I thought about using a 4 channel amp to be able to run the tweeters and the mids from the components on separate channels, that way I can use the DSP to make adjustments for tweeter locations

I plan on adding sound deadening in the doors.

then using the four 8 inch subs in the trunk

would this setup work or should I ditch the idea of using two separate component sets?

the other idea I was running in my mind was the iss 130 in the upper part of the door and just using a pair of 6 1/2 2wo way speakers in the lower door panel where the factory 

I'd run one of those 8s in a 1.5 cubic feet box ported if its a newer kicker. if its the older kickers then sealed is fine. Get a 6 channel amp or twp 4 channel amps (one will be bridged for midbass) and run fully active networks with the dsp. Get 5.25 components (throw away the passive crossover) and make it fit in the top panel with some adapters and then get something like a pair of crescendo pwx 8s for pure midbass duty and fully utilize all 8 channels of the dsp with midbass, midrange, tweeter and sub would be your best sounding option. You do absolutely need the 6 channel or two 4 channels to control everything properly and feed the setup proper power if you want lifelike sound quality and actual midbass.

My buddy's mustang is a 3 way active network setup and his setup is crazy good.

So it'll be those focal 5.25s, crescendo pwx 8 (x2)  and two 4 channels (cheaper and more power than a 6 channel)  

check this youtube channel out for 4 channel amp options that do good power on a budget. Or you can grab some pioneer gm 8704s. What i recommend is getting the most power possible so you dont ever run into clipping or distortion with the amp running out of juice. It doesnt matter what the RMS says on your speakers, they can handle way more when its clean power A LOT easier vs clipping it with an amp that just barely matches the rms ratings and the speakers will sound a lot cleaner, detailed etc...

https://www.youtube.com/user/bigblank69/videos

Last edited by a moderator:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.