Ford F-150 Rear Subs

Jack12345

CarAudio.com Newbie
Howdy Yall!

I'm looking at putting dual 10" JL subs in my 2018 F-150 Raptor Supercrew with the B&O system and I was hoping to get advise if I missed anything or I should swap parts. Thank you!

Qbomb box $179.79
Amazon product ASIN B079JLYPMVTwo 10W1v3-4 $199.99 EA
Kenwood 600W mono amp? $175
Amazon product ASIN B00UVWC55AJL Audio JD500/1 Amp? $279.99
EFX PA4BX Wiring kit $79.99

Last edited:
was hoping to get advise if I missed anything or I should swap parts
My nephew had those JLs with that JL 500/1. It sounded really clean to me but he wanted more. The Kenwood says 4 channel but a mono will work just fine. Like Marve_Lous stated, you will need an LOC to convert the sugnal to RCA level. You may also need load resistors if the OEM radio has resistance check.
We used a Digital Designs LC2 and 6 Ohm load resistors.
Screenshot_20230828-231835.png
Screenshot_20230828-232335.png

The JL is on the spendy side, nice equioment though. For the amp, I’d probably go with the Taramps MD 1200.1 at $159.32. 1000 watts @2 ohms (no such thing as too much power) and the Kenwood you list is about 375 watts (@ 14.4 volts/85% efficiency)

Amazon product ASIN B074KQP62F
CT Sounds pure OFC copper wiring kit $59.99

Amazon product ASIN B06XVDF4SK
I’m thinking that you will be tapping into the speaker leads to get your signal unless the factory unit has RCA’s. This is an NVX high voltage LOC and you can get an optional remote bass knob if you want to have extra control.

Amazon product ASIN B09CF38C73
If I have the correct woofer, the 10W1v3-4? According to JL’s site, it’s optimized for a sealed enclosure, that box is ported. I did some looking around and found a good drop in that will allow you to run each subwoofers 2 coils in series (dual 2ohm) and then the two subs in parallel to the amp for a 2ohm load (and a real 1000 watts) @ that 2 ohm load. Amplifier isn’t working hard, subs are more than capable – and they are each $10 dollars less! I’m a fan of JL, but they really don’t like to play with others in that $150.00 to $250.00, saturated price point (from my experience that is). These are nice drop in for the box you picked out.

There are a lot of 10” subs that you’ll likely get recommends on. Just need to be sure that it will play nice in that ported 1 Cu Ft chamber (per 10” sub).

;)

Last edited:
I don’t see an LOC. How are you getting the audio signal to the amps?
Sorry I overlooked that part. Looks like plugnplay had a nice LOC.
For the amp do you recommend the 500w or 600w amp? I'm a little new to the car audio space so any help is appreciated.

The JL is on the spendy side, nice equioment though. For the amp, I’d probably go with the Taramps MD 1200.1 at $159.32. 1000 watts @2 ohms (no such thing as too much power) and the Kenwood you list is about 375 watts (@ 14.4 volts/85% efficiency)

Amazon product ASIN B074KQP62F
CT Sounds pure OFC copper wiring kit $59.99

Amazon product ASIN B06XVDF4SK
I’m thinking that you will be tapping into the speaker leads to get your signal unless the factory unit has RCA’s. This is an NVX high voltage LOC and you can get an optional remote bass knob if you want to have extra control.

Amazon product ASIN B09CF38C73
If I have the correct woofer, the 10W1v3-4? According to JL’s site, it’s optimized for a sealed enclosure, that box is ported. I did some looking around and found a good drop in that will allow you to run each subwoofers 2 coils in series (dual 2ohm) and then the two subs in parallel to the amp for a 2ohm load (and a real 1000 watts) @ that 2 ohm load. Amplifier isn’t working hard, subs are more than capable – and they are each $10 dollars less! I’m a fan of JL, but they really don’t like to play with others in that $150.00 to $250.00, saturated price point (from my experience that is). These are nice drop in for the box you picked out.

There are a lot of 10” subs that you’ll likely get recommends on. Just need to be sure that it will play nice in that ported 1 Cu Ft chamber (per 10” sub).

;)
Thank you for the detailed reply! I love this community already. Those Sub look like they can get rowdy! Unfortunately I think their depth is too large for that box. Looks like 6.25" from the box vs 7.48" from the DS18 EXL-X10.2D.

Problem solved!

Model: EXL-X10.2D

Type: Subwoofer
Size: 10"
RMS Power: 850W
MAX Power: 1750W
Impedance: 2 Ohm
Voice Coil Size: 2.5"
Magnet: Ferrite
Magnet Weight: 180oz
Frequency Response: 35Hz - 1.2KHz

Materials

Frame: DS18 Private Red Aluminum
Surround: Foam Edge
Dust Cap: Glass Fiber
Voice Coil Former Material: Black Aluminum

Diameters
Mounting Cut-Out: 9.4"
Mounting Depth: 6.29"

Amazon product ASIN B076JNHK3F

Last edited:
Honestly in that box...I'd wager the jl's sound better...
Might, more of a trade off either way. JL designed for Sealed envirnment in a ported box as apposed to a box that is slightly small for the DS18. Pretty sure with the Taramps and those DS18's, it would be pretty good too. Not often a fan of the DS18 drivers, this one is pretty nice. I like JL, just think there are other very good options at that price point.

I disagree. From the DS18 site:

Ported Internal Volume, 21.23L / 0.75ft3. Assuming the port and the driver take up around 25%, it's a good fit! Even if not that much, it's well within a 10% tolerance either way. I modeled it in BASS Box Pro, it's got a 3db rise from the low end (around 34Hz) to about 50Hz, then tapers off fine all the way to 150Hz. I was offering it as an option to a driver (the JL) that is better suited for a sealed cabinet that could still handle the power of the Taramps amplifier. Other amplifier/woofer combinations likely work well too. Was trying to stay in line with the OP's pricing and still give most bang for buck options. The tuning frequency of that box is 36Hz. This DS18 sub should most definitely work well in this setup

Last edited:
Howdy Yall!

I'm looking at putting dual 10" JL subs in my 2018 F-150 Raptor Supercrew with the B&O system and I was hoping to get advise if I missed anything or I should swap parts. Thank you!

Qbomb box $179.79
Amazon product ASIN B079JLYPMVTwo 10W1v3-4 $199.99 EA
Kenwood 600W mono amp? $175
Amazon product ASIN B00UVWC55AJL Audio JD500/1 Amp? $279.99
EFX PA4BX Wiring kit $79.99
I would recommend this amp running those subs @2ohms load and an OFC wiring kit

A pair of DVC4 10s that should work well in that enclosure with that CT Sounds 1k amp Running @1ohm load. You can always step up to the 1500 or 2k Id change the wiring kit to 0ga on the 2k

A pair of DVC4 10s that should work well in that enclosure with that CT Sounds 1k amp Running @1ohm load. You can always step up to the 1500 or 2k Id change the wiring kit to 0ga on the 2k
Those are nice subs too, was trying to remember those, slipped my mind. Perfect for that box with any of the 1000+ watt amps suggested. Good recomend! Equipment saturation of the brain!

Last edited:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...