fuzziekiwi

Subwoofer Recommendation/Sound Science

Number of subs preferred: 1 or 2

Size preferred (if configuration allows): 10" or 12"

Budget: Maximum $180 per subwoofer

Power to be used (which amp(s), include which resistance): will pick accompanying amp

Goals: SQ > loudness. More torwards accurate, tight bass. I don't like muddy subwoofers, good transient response.

Listening habits: Decent volume, but never to the point where my ears get fatigued or experience dizzyness.

Preferred brands/subs/whatever: whatever sounds good.

My friend has two pioneer 12" dual voice coil TS series (300W RMS), and while they sound awesome, they don't sound the most accurate, and don't have that much definition.

I'm also wondering, Vas, FS, QTS and xMAX, ratings are valueable numbers to know, what each one means, and what are ideal ranges.

box has a lot to do with how subs sound.. pioneer 3003 is much better.. if you want better sq and a sealed box u can get daytons for $149 or so at parts express.com.. remember if you want loud ported is the way to go but a good ported box will cost you, prefabs are not tuned low enough and will sound as u said muddy.. so add in $200 min for dual ported box unless u can build one..

Number of subs preferred: 1 or 2

Size preferred (if configuration allows): 10" or 12"

Budget: Maximum $180 per subwoofer

Power to be used (which amp(s), include which resistance): will pick accompanying amp

Goals: SQ > loudness. More torwards accurate, tight bass. I don't like muddy subwoofers, good transient response.

Listening habits: Decent volume, but never to the point where my ears get fatigued or experience dizzyness.

Preferred brands/subs/whatever: whatever sounds good.

My friend has two pioneer 12" dual voice coil TS series (300W RMS), and while they sound awesome, they don't sound the most accurate, and don't have that much definition.

I'm also wondering, Vas, FS, QTS and xMAX, ratings are valueable numbers to know, what each one means, and what are ideal ranges.

Vas, fs, qts, xmax and the rest of the theile small parameters vary depending on the driver and its intended use. I suggest learning what they are and how they interact with each other. There is no simple explanation to your question. Buy the most recent copy of Vance Dickinsons Loudspeaker Cookbook. Beware its very heavy on theory with tiny graphs and basically reads like a term papwer or dissertation. I've read it twice and a lot of it still confuses me.

If it was me I'd look at the type S 10's or 12's and focus on having a correct enclosure built. They don't need a lot of power and sound good in a ported enclosure. Some folks like em in sealed but I'm about the way a ported box increases output where you want it to pound. Can you build an enclosure? Please don't pre-fab whatever you do. I wouldn't use a pre-fab unless it's sealed and then I'd use it for a last option. Doing the enclosure for the vehicle/subs/power and tune you want is super important... some people view it as just the box... lol... it's as important as the subs, you can buy a set of $500 subs and stuff em in an incorrect enclosure and that $1000 investment just sounds like a lot less... :suicide:...

Anyways that's one option and they are not very expensive, don't require a ton of power and sound good.

Do the enclosure right and you'll be surprised at how accurate it sounds...

rC3PYh.jpg

Lots of other options out there for sure tho, but I like the Type S... 10's or 12's, whatever you got room for... which leads to the next question... what vehicle/space do you have available?

If it was me I'd look at the type S 10's or 12's and focus on having a correct enclosure built. They don't need a lot of power and sound good in a ported enclosure. Some folks like em in sealed but I'm about the way a ported box increases output where you want it to pound. Can you build an enclosure? Please don't pre-fab whatever you do. I wouldn't use a pre-fab unless it's sealed and then I'd use it for a last option. Doing the enclosure for the vehicle/subs/power and tune you want is super important... some people view it as just the box... lol... it's as important as the subs, you can buy a set of $500 subs and stuff em in an incorrect enclosure and that $1000 investment just sounds like a lot less... :suicide:...

Anyways that's one option and they are not very expensive, don't require a ton of power and sound good.

Do the enclosure right and you'll be surprised at how accurate it sounds...

rC3PYh.jpg

Lots of other options out there for sure tho, but I like the Type S... 10's or 12's, whatever you got room for... which leads to the next question... what vehicle/space do you have available?

Nissan Sentra SV 2015

Nissan Sentra SV 2015

Take a look at that enclosure above... think it'll fit and go in? That box would do well on a basic 750-1000 watt amp, most likely put those Pioneers you heard to shame. If you list max space for design help... make sure it'll go thru the opening.. lol

I have a pair of brand new infinity kappa perfect 10.1 if interested. Great SQ with decent SPL.

Okay, so I think I'm just gonna do a single since I'd like to save tunk space (and $$$). I don't think I could build my own enclosure. Tomorrow I can measure my trunk and update y'all.

I was looking on crutchfield:

Alpine SWS-10D4

Sound Ordnance™ Bass Bunker

Sealed single 10" subwoofer enclosure (Model BB10-64S)

JBL GTX500 Mono subwoofer amplifier — 500 watts RMS x 1 at 2 ohms

Don't get prefab...junk, tuned too high and prob won't sound good to the sub you get.

Where in Orlando are ya?

North of Orlando, near Altamonte Springs. What should I get for an enclosure then?

North of Orlando, near Altamonte Springs. What should I get for an enclosure then?

pick sub/s and get shredder2 here to design one for you and make or get it made..

pick sub/s and get shredder2 here to design one for you and make or get it made..

I don't have the tools to make one. I don't know anyone who will make one for me. I'll look into that shredder dude.

I don't have the tools to make one. I don't know anyone who will make one for me. I'll look into that shredder dude.

me either and i can't cut a circle anyway lol.. if u look on fb or cl in your area u can normally find box makers.. just get good design and make sure they make it by those specs instead of just making a box that's too small and or tuned to high..

Look on CL or Offerup...sometimes there's some boxbuilders advertising there for business. And since Orlando is known for high humidity and increasing the summer months, people wanna get out of the house and go driving. Get a design from shredder2 you'll be happy.

me either and i can't cut a circle anyway lol.. if u look on fb or cl in your area u can normally find box makers.. just get good design and make sure they make it by those specs instead of just making a box that's too small and or tuned to high..

...or glue a surround back to the basket. Yup, had to inject that comment in there. The ******* has just been released from me....

I'm tellin ya... that guy... lol... he needs some lookin into... what a try-hard...:santa:

Sorry bro...meant to quote the OP

Yep, just saw it. I knew that **** was too expensive on crutchfield lol.

Yep, just saw it. I knew that **** was too expensive on crutchfield lol.

Lemme know what you decide to get, what your tuning preference is, what amp you'll use and realistically the space you're willing to give up and what'll fit and I'll do what I can to help... I'm just keeping the ol' sketchup skills sharp... lol... really I'm just tryin to get faster.

Lemme know what you decide to get, what your tuning preference is, what amp you'll use and realistically the space you're willing to give up and what'll fit and I'll do what I can to help... I'm just keeping the ol' sketchup skills sharp... lol... really I'm just tryin to get faster.

I'm pretty sure I'm gonna go for a single Alpine Type-S SWS-12D4. Now I need to know how much to for a custom enclosure, and if I can't, what would be the best prefab box, as well as an amp and wiring. I'd prefer a sealed box. Tuning? What exactly do you mean? I'll update you tomorrow w/ dimensions, is there a typical price range?

I'm pretty sure I'm gonna go for a single Alpine Type-S SWS-12D4. Now I need to know where to get a custom enclosure from, and if I can't, what would be the best prefab box, as well as an amp and wiring. I'd prefer a sealed box. Tuning? What exactly do you mean? I'll update you tomorrow w/ dimensions, is there a typical price range?

lower tuned box plays lower bass needed for rap a higher tuned box (like a prefab) will sound muddy with low bass and if tuned to high with ss filter not set high enough sub can unload and mess up (had 2 orion cones rip in a orion box cause ss filter on amp only went to 25hz and box was probably tuned at 45 hz) for close to same $ u can also look at fu 750 sub like mine FU Car Audio, fu audio, fu car audio u can see alot about them on fb. FU Car Audio, fu audio, fu car audio

---------- Post added at 02:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:00 AM ----------

...or glue a surround back to the basket. Yup, had to inject that comment in there. The ******* has just been released from me....

i can now

I'm pretty sure I'm gonna go for a single Alpine Type-S SWS-12D4. Now I need to know where to get a custom enclosure from, and if I can't, what would be the best prefab box, as well as an amp and wiring.

The box is actually pretty easy to build if you got the drawings... others will tell ya the same (except Gramps)... a few cuts at the local big box home-improvement store... some drywall screws and woodglue and a drill... and to cut a circle is easy just use a jigsaw (or sabresaw) and something like this that has 2 screws a radius width apart... screw one in the center to be cut and scribe in a circle with the other... easy... then cut the circle. I'm 51, had a bad Ischemic Stroke and can still build an enclosure. If you are unsure... just ask others

hUXoQ2x.jpg

Even a mediocre job cutting and assembling will save you a ton of $$$ and sound far superior to a poor tune. I'd tune to 34-5hz and go around 2ft3 net. What amp do you plan to use?... I'm sure you'll get lots of useful advice on what amp to run... just ask.

Seriously... a box can be built for the cost of materials only... and that's saving a TON.

As far as pre-fabs go I'll let others chime in as I'm not gonna give bad advice.

shredder...a stove?! With mdf on it lol my wife would kill me if I started bringing box pieces inside.

shredder...a stove?! With mdf on it lol my wife would kill me if I started bringing box pieces inside.

That was taken when the "Burp box" thread was still active... that was Shredder1... some other guy... I'm single now, got a lil shop all setup to build in and in an actual garage... but I'm only tinkering around... not sellin boxes

ODd6Ds6.jpg

Remember the small apt?