Amp protect problems

Participant count
  • Participant list

asilayinruins

My crescendo 12k keeps going into protect. I could be playing it for about 20 minutes, then my amp goes into protect. After a couple minutes, the amp turns back on and plays for another few minutes before going back into protect. It goes back and forth, on and protect. My voltage is good, I never drop below high 13's. My amp does seem like it's getting kind of hot though. I began feel it getting pretty warm, and I can kind of smell a little bit of something, like something's getting hot. Not sure if this is a heat issue, because I rrun my system without a wall, and I always have my A.C. blasting throughout the car. Never had this issue with the same setup in my other car.

There's several reasons amps go into protect:

1) too low of a final ohm load for the amp, which the mfgr does not recommend.

2) Bad connection someplace. Check all connections and retighten if necessary.

3) Ground is so important, some people overlook it. Meaning, no paint and bare metal to metal.

4) Gain too high on amp. Use DMM to set gain properly

5) Inadequite power/ground wires. Meaning, not thick enough gauge.

6) Speaker wire shorted out somewhere: cut, spliced, etc w/o you knowing it.

So...that being said, can you provide pics and a rundown of what your running to your Crescendo 12k?

Last edited by a moderator:
There's several reasons amps go into protect:
1) too low of a final ohm load for the amp, which the mfgr does not recommend.

2) Ground is so important, some people overlook it. Meaning, no paint and bare metal to metal.

3) Bad connection someplace. Check all connections and retighten if necessary.

4)Ground is so important, some people overlook it. Meaning, no paint and bare metal to metal.

5) Gain too high on amp. Use DMM to set gain properly

6) Inadequite power/ground wires. Meaning, not thick enough gauge.

7) Speaker wire shorted out somewhere: cut, spliced, etc w/o you knowing it.

So...that being said, can you provide pics and a rundown of what your running to your Crescendo 12k?
so, are you saying that the ground is important?

Fixed. Good catch.
Awwww, ya shoulda left it. It made sense in a way actually. Making sure your ground is an very often overlooked thing, so double mentioning it was kinda appropriate. Sorry if I seemed like a writing nazi //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

Awwww, ya shoulda left it. It made sense in a way actually. Making sure your ground is an very often overlooked thing, so double mentioning it was kinda appropriate. Sorry if I seemed like a writing nazi //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif
Oh.....had no idea. But...guess I could put it back because if you hadn't mentioned it, someone else might have. Hope I didn't ruin your day...lol Hey at least I know what a baffle is(Unlike that other guy w/ a bruised/broken foot).

yeah wires, ground, ohm load and wire size too what u got? but just drop gain 1 notch see if that helps u turning hu to full volume? if so don't go past 80% and make sure u have no bass boost or preset eq's or man eq boosting bass and don't have sub volume on hu set to +10 like i did and wondered why my amp kicked off few seconds hard bassin'., turned sub volume down to +1 and no problems since..

Oh.....had no idea. But...guess I could put it back because if you hadn't mentioned it, someone else might have. Hope I didn't ruin your day...lol Hey at least I know what a baffle is(Unlike that other guy w/ a bruised/broken foot).
Day officially ruined, thanks lmao!!! Now I really won't enjoy Chevelle tonight //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif what were you thinking bro???

edit: Chevelle was killer, like usual!! 10th time seeing them!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys. I'm gonna try reset my gains and try see. All my wiring are good. Got 6 power and 6 grounds of sky high ofc on double 1/0 inputs going into the amp. 8 gauge speaker wire to my subs, and they're wired to 1 ohm. My grounds to chassis are solid.

[quote name='Boomin_tahoe']Keep us updated.

Your in HI, you know @ekah there?[/QUOTE]

i dont know anyone here with a more serious build than me lol and thats saying something id love a demo with that crescendo even if it gets half power thats more power than my cab1600.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.