Insufficient current causing amp to enter protect mode?

brice15s

CarAudio.com Recruit
Virginia
I made a post yesterday about my issue with this new amp. It’s not a wiring issue, because I can use my smaller amp and blast the sub. But the new one (uses 38 amps of continuous current) will cut off at low-mid volume.

Could an insufficient alternator cause this? My alternator puts out 80amps. There’s no voltage drop at the amplifier when it goes into protect. I’m out of ideas other than alternator

I made a post yesterday about my issue with this new amp. It’s not a wiring issue, because I can use my smaller amp and blast the sub. But the new one (uses 38 amps of continuous current) will cut off at low-mid volume.

Could an insufficient alternator cause this? My alternator puts out 80amps. There’s no voltage drop at the amplifier when it goes into protect. I’m out of ideas other than alternator
A lack of power can put an amp into protect, even burn it out. You may also want to check the speaker's resistance. If the resistance is lower than the amp can handle, it will do what you described.

What Vehicle? what amplifiers? what Ohm loads are the amplifiers running at? What size is your battery under the hood? What size power and ground wires being used, and are they CCA or OFC wire? What size is your Supply wiring for the amplifiers and type and size of fuse being used at battery for the wiring? What sub are you using and components? what radio/HU are you using in the vehicle? Are you using a LOC if so what Model and brand

No it can't be your alternator. An alternator recharges a battery. You can completely disconnect your alternator, and still drive fine, it will just run down your battery as you use it. It would literally be the same as asking does my flashlight need an alternator.

A lack of power can put an amp into protect, even burn it out. You may also want to check the speaker's resistance. If the resistance is lower than the amp can handle, it will do what you described.
this amp is 1 ohm stable at 1200 watts, and 4 ohm at 500 watts. I currently have my sub wired to 4 ohm resistance

No it can't be your alternator. An alternator recharges a battery. You can completely disconnect your alternator, and still drive fine, it will just run down your battery as you use it. It would literally be the same as asking does my flashlight need an alternator.
im not having power issues. im getting 14.3v at my amp. Im worried this is a current issue, and that voltage isnt being fed to the amp fast enough at higher volumes. im pretty sure the alternator plays a large role in that

What Vehicle? what amplifiers? what Ohm loads are the amplifiers running at? What size is your battery under the hood? What size power and ground wires being used, and are they CCA or OFC wire? What size is your Supply wiring for the amplifiers and type and size of fuse being used at battery for the wiring? What sub are you using and components? what radio/HU are you using in the vehicle? Are you using a LOC if so what Model and brand
08 civic lx 1.8L, stable all the way down to 1 ohm (sub currently wired at 4ohm, amp can do 500 rms at 4ohm), battery size: 51R-2 , 4 gauge power and ground, as far as I know, I think this wire is 100% copper, I know it can be hard to tell, may be CCA, its a 4 gauge wire powering the amp with a 150amp fuse at the battery. I not sure on the stereo, its a Boss touchscreen I paid $200 for a couple years ago. no LOC

amp is 2400W max, 1200w rms @ 1 ohm. 500w rms @ 4ohm

Last edited:
Why are you changing amps? 200 watts is negligible over 1000 watts.
because Im trying to run 2 15 inch subs at 1200 rms combined the amp im using now is 1000W MAX, but I want to make sure everything works on this single sub, before spending another $700 on a sub and box

Last edited:
after doing more research, I can confirm this is the dumbest thing ive read all day lmao

I have read both threads on this problem. I think that you probably have a defective pioneer amplifier.
appreciate the advice, im going to call Pioneer tonight to see if we can trouble shoot. based on the amps specs (needing 38 amps of continuous current) and my alternator only putting out 80. been talking to a couple CET certified technicians and they seem to think alternator could be the issue. but it could also very well be faulty amp like you said

Last edited:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...