Ok to get big class d if keeping gains low?

Ktmrider

Current setup is a PDX5 putting 100×2 to comps. 50x2 to 8"mids(8ohm) and 450 to sealed 8w7. So the mids are severely underpowered as I tried them in mono parallel at 4 ohm off my sub channel and they came alive and took the power with a 50hz high pass fmod to 200hz L.P..

The new box I built is a huge center console with 1.2cu ft gross for each mid and sub..but output went down a good amount going from ported to sealed on the 8w7. It feels as if it's just craving more power as my gain is almost maxed..

So what if I bridge the 4 channels to the comps and give the sub channel to mids than get a new mono amp for the 8w7 with headroom for a new sub setup in the future.

Stock 105amp alternator in the Silverado..

Looking for 750watts rms at 3 ohm with maybe 1500-2000watts headroom for a new sub setup down the road..

Can I run a huge amp and just keep gains low or by running at a 3 ohm load does it automatically not pull huge Current? Thanks

I'll try to get some pics up

yeah thata fine 1 guy here had 3500rms to 2 8's, i'm running 930rms to 1 600rms sub.. just set gain low no bass boost at all, just clean power.. how much $ u looking to spend on amp?

i was running a 5k at .5ohm on 2 8's...

just know the limits when you crank it up.

make sure your electrical can handle the big amp or watch your voltage so it doesnt go too low.

you could look into the cab1600 its all the rage right now.

otherwise any of the brands make a decent 2-3k amp

sundown, dc, american bass (vfl only not vfl hybrid), soundqubed.....

I am looking to spend max 300 shipped new with warrantee. I will look into cab 1600. Is the brand CAB? A quick search on sonic there seems to be a ton of new brands I've never heard of..been out of the game for 10 years.. belva,nvx , ect.. I remember hifonics being budget friendly for what you get.. thanks

i was running a 5k at .5ohm on 2 8's...just know the limits when you crank it up.

make sure your electrical can handle the big amp or watch your voltage so it doesnt go too low.

you could look into the cab1600 its all the rage right now.

otherwise any of the brands make a decent 2-3k amp

sundown, dc, american bass (vfl only not vfl hybrid), soundqubed.....
now, why'd ya have to go and list SoundQubed last?? LoL

I am looking to spend max 300 shipped new with warrantee. I will look into cab 1600. Is the brand CAB? A quick search on sonic there seems to be a ton of new brands I've never heard of..been out of the game for 10 years.. belva,nvx , ect.. I remember hifonics being budget friendly for what you get.. thanks
tell me about it!! many of the old good brands are gone, and a TON of newb brands popped up in their wake. Xtant is gone //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif :( I loved their stuff!! Sundown and DC are complete animals, but very likely out of your price range you mentioned. Brands like incriminatior are also fairly new, but very good. Planet audio has some decent stuff that was made by a company called Zed Audio, apparently the holy grail of newer stuff, but spendy.

The CAB seems to be getting good praise and price is real nice. Realistically what would I be seing on my single w7 at 3 ohm? Thanks again
youd probably be getting around high 800s to low 900s out of it at 14.4 volts at that impedance. Very respectable. put it in a good box and she will rip! But i cant stress enough about what was said with the electrical being able to keep up. It would be less than a thousand watts, so you should be able to get away with 4 gauge, but these new korean amps are pretty ampere hungry. Big 3 would be a "youre dumb if you dont" kind of thing.

Ya, I'm trying to plan it all out..Mechman 250a alt 400

XS d4300 battery 300

Upgrade my current 4gauge 150..

It adds up quick, the amp is the easy part haha
i feel your pain bro. I need runs of 0 gauge before i even think about putting my SQ2200 back in my car, so for now im running 1 12" on a ppic pc250, my only other working amp. Thankfully i have that, or id be up s#!ts creek

that parts list looks pretty healthy tho fyi //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

The CAB seems to be getting good praise and price is real nice. Realistically what would I be seing on my single w7 at 3 ohm? Thanks again
yeah 3 ohm hard to get lots of power, my ppi has been tested at 690 at 4 ohm 930 (@13.6v) at 2 ohm pretty strong little amp $169., other than that or cab u have to spend closer to $350-$400 maybe to get close to 800 around 3 ohms

I'm getting ready to plan the amp upgrade. Going with the KnuConcepts dual amp kit.

300amp battery fuse with 0 gauge ofc to

Dual 150 amp distro block with 4 gauge ofc

The PDX5 has 60amp internal fuse and 4 gauge power/ground inputs so no issue there on 150amp from distro block.

The CAB amp seems to have 0 gauge inputs with no internal fuses..

Will the 150amp fuse be sufficient for the CAB amp?

Will 4 gauge power and grounds be ok for inputs at amp?

Thanks

I'm getting ready to plan the amp upgrade. Going with the KnuConcepts dual amp kit.300amp battery fuse with 0 gauge ofc to

Dual 150 amp distro block with 4 gauge ofc

The PDX5 has 60amp internal fuse and 4 gauge power/ground inputs so no issue there on 150amp from distro block.

The CAB amp seems to have 0 gauge inputs with no internal fuses..

Will the 150amp fuse be sufficient for the CAB amp?

Will 4 gauge power and grounds be ok for inputs at amp?

Thanks
Yes the CAB has 0 ga inputs & is not fused...

At 3 ohms I don't see why a 150 amp fuse and 4 ga wire would not be sufficient... from the distribution block to the amp...

Same for the power and ground... but if you load the amp heavier, you'll have to step up to all 0 ga I think...

I only have fuses at the batteries BTW... in case of an accidental short... that's just me tho... a lot of people recommend fusing the amps...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.