Insufficient current causing amp to enter protect mode?

because then if your alternator dies youll instantly come to a stop. Large car batteries allow you to travel for 10 or so miles. and its not just for driving. its for idling

brice15s said:
no, you wern't. you were being a smart ass, and you still are. when your engine is running, your alternator provides power to your entire electrical system AND charges the battery. all the battery is used for is getting your starter to start. then the alternator takes over and powers every electronic in your car.

so you just gonnna gloss over this to make yourself seem right? lol
You're a jackass, and you're wrong.

Drive for 10 or so miles? How does that even make sense? You just pulled that out of your ass. If your alternator dies your battery is a storage bank, and will drain as it's being used until empty. This is common knowledge in the car community.

No I didn't start off being a smartass, I gave you an easily understood example. It's not my fault if you don't get how batteries work.

Drive for 10 or so miles? How does that even make sense? You just pulled that out of your ass. If your alternator dies your battery is a storage bank, and will drain as it's being used until empty. This is common knowledge in the car community.

No I didn't start off being a smartass, I gave you an easily understood example. It's not my fault if you don't get how batteries work.
I gave them 10 mile estimate based off my own experience of dealing with a failing alternator. I only made it 5 or so miles on 3/4ths charge. and didnt make it far before battery fully died out.

I know a lot of arrogant people like you.

Your battery is there to provide power that your alternator can't during big bass drops (when your amp pulls more amperage). The alternator can't provide enough power fast enough for an amp...that's when the battery steps up and provides the power needed and then alternator charges the battery back up...rinse and repeat...

I never said the alternator doesnt charge your battery. but that is NOT its only purpose. like I said, research anywhere

when your bass drops, where do you think that extra amperage is coming from exactly?

Last edited:
Your battery is there to provide power that your alternator can't during big bass drops (when your amp pulls more amperage). The alternator can't provide enough power fast enough for an amp...that's when the battery steps up and provides the power needed and then alternator charges the battery back up...rinse and repeat...
You have that backwards, and that's not what this back and forth is about.

I never said the alternator doesnt charge your battery. but that is NOT its only purpose. like I said, research anywhere

when your bass drops, where do you think that extra amperage is coming from exactly?
I find it amazing that you keep trying to push the nonsense, that batteries in a vehicle act differently than every other battery on the planet.

Just an FYI, your old amp was only giving you 300 watts at 4ohm, not 1000. The new amp is actually 1200@1ohm.

How high are you turning up your head unit before you adjust the gains on the amp? Is it possible you're giving the new amp a clipped signal?

I find it amazing that you keep trying to push the nonsense, that batteries in a vehicle act differently than every other battery on the planet.
I’m sorry you don’t understand how alternators work. I’ll keep you in my prayers
With the voltage at the amplifier staying at 14.3v, I don’t see how the alternator is the problem. That amplifier should drop below 11v before the protection circuit it cuts off.
If you want to check it, have a buddy give you a jump start. Have both cars running and connect a set of jumper cables. That way you have 2 batteries and 2 alternators powering the amplifier. If the amplifier still cuts off, the alternator is not the problem.
i appreciate this advice. Gave it a shot. I was able to get a little louder but still cut out. So I’m definitely on board with your diagnosis. Gonna hit crutchfield. Still plan on running 2 15s, so still gonna get a 250amp alt

Yeah i
Just an FYI, your old amp was only giving you 300 watts at 4ohm, not 1000. The new amp is actually 1200@1ohm.

How high are you turning up your head unit before you adjust the gains on the amp? Is it possible you're giving the new amp a clipped signal?
Yeah I know. I have my sub wired at 4ohm so I can get 300w rms from old amp. It’s 1000w max. And yes that’s the reason I got this pioneer amp, so I can run 2 15s at 1ohm 1200w rms

Could you explain a little further about the head unit? I start at “15” , 33 being as high as I’d put my old amp

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...