Want the Big 3 (4) diagram for an 09' Pontiac G5

Participant count
  • Participant list

budahbuddy803
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Veteran
Aiken, SC
I still have an alternator whine after trying a couple different amps and settings. I am running, currently, 130 amp alternator (factory alt was replaced with this a few months ago), Pioneer AVH-3700BHS (something like that), and a kenwood excelon 900.5 (something like that).

The battery is grounded in the factory location after I sanded down to bare metal (seems like a weird location) with larger than factory cable. The amp is grounded to the (-) battery terminal. Of course the power is run to the (+) battery terminal. The HU is grounded to a better location after being sanded down to bare metal. The 3 channel RCAs are run through the center console to the trunk next to the remote wire and backup camera wires. Speaker wires are run on the drive and passenger sides. Power wire from the amp to batter is less than 3' because the battery location is in the trunk, and same with the ground.

I am thinking the only other issues to check out are:

1. Wire from alt to battery (probably small and runs from atl to the trunk)

2. Engine to Chassis ground ( I dont know where that is)

Does anyone know where the engine ground is located in a 2009 Pontiac G5? I would like to try to upgrade the wiring 1st and then maybe check the wire from alt. to trunk. I only want to do it this way because the alt is hard to get to and will be a pain.

I have tried the ground loop isolators which helped with my PPI Phantom 900.5, but made it worse with the Kenwood Excelon.

what is your gain setting at on your amplifier?
Its a 5 channel. I have tried turning the gains all the way down for all channels and still experience the whine. Currently, the highs are turned all the way down. Mids and Sub are ~50%.

I tried turning all gains all the way down and having the CD player with its "All 0 (level)" settings with this and still get whine.

Alternator

TngfePE.jpg

Trunk (battery ground, amp ground, amp power)

fHQQMUA.jpg

Engine Bay

WongL0q.jpg

If your battery is in the trunk is find a spot back there to ground. Like frame.
To ground my engine?

I've tried grounding my amp to numerous different locations (negative terminal of battery, battery ground location, and two other frame locations with bare metal)

turn all gains all the way down. report back. unplug one rca at a time. report back.
I've done that with three different amplifiers. I can power up each of those three amps without RCAs connected and still get that whine feedback regardless of the gain settings. It is less noticeable with the gains all the way down, but still there (most noticeably from the tweeters). I have 4 ground loop isolators (RCAs in to a box RCAs out to amp) or whatever they are called and tried those as well. They help two of the three amps I have tested and make the other one worse.

I have tried all three of those amps in a different vehicle and they do not cause the whine regardless of gain level or ground loop isolators.

You probably have a blown pico fuse in your pioneer deck. You need to ground your rca outputs on the deck to to the cd player. Or go buy a ground loop isolator.

I seen a few ppl wrap wire around rca behind radio
If the RCAs are not connected to the amplifier(s), would the pico fuse/Pioneer's returning issues still be a problem? I was under the impression that would be caused by the RCAs from the CD player. If the RCAS are not connected to the amp and I get the whine, I wouldn't think it has to do with the CD player.

Regardless, I have grounded the RCAs and re-grounded the HU to a better location as well.

---------- Post added at 12:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:18 PM ----------

You probably have a blown pico fuse in your pioneer deck. You need to ground your rca outputs on the deck to to the cd player. Or go buy a ground loop isolator.
If the RCAs are not connected to the amplifier(s), would the pico fuse/Pioneer's returning issues still be a problem? I was under the impression that would be caused by the RCAs from the CD player. If the RCAS are not connected to the amp and I get the whine, I wouldn't think it has to do with the CD player.

Regardless, I have grounded the RCAs and re-grounded the HU to a better location as well.

Also, I have tried 4 different ground loop isolators.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.