Need help. Amp has stopped working.

Participant count
  • Participant list

Jberreth007

This is my first build and I have tried to keep it small and simple to start with. I am running a planet audio 4000 watt amp to a kicker comp 10" sub. I have checked and rechecked everything and I am hitting a road block. Yesterday, I was reinstalling a line out converter ( the first one I had was a cheap boss one that I suspected was giving off static) and once I was done with that I was tightening the power and ground leads on my amp. I must have touched both positive and negative as there was a small spark that was let off. Since then my amp won't turn on. I have checked all the fuses, wires, grounds, loc connection, speaker wire etc.

my question is, did I blow my amp by simply touching the pos and neg terminals on the amp or is there something I can do?

Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks

James

Normally Yes! You have possibly blown the power supply within the amplifier..Sometimes you may get lucky,but 99.9% of the time its a Failure/damaged.You can take it out of the vehicle and have it bench tested at a local Car audio shop..Most charge very little or nothing at all to test.For future installations.Always wire the amp up accordingly and double check wiring before placing the inline fuse in tact,keeps this from happening

Always install the fuse last. That's the proper method.

Measure what the Remote voltage is feeding into the amplifier along with the power cable.

Thanks for your input guys. Is this something that can be fixed on the amp or am I better off just getting a new one?Thanks again
It can be repaired..It just depends on where you take it to get it repaired/fixed. Most labor plus parts are not worth the price paid as most newwer amps can be had for CHEAP/ but in some cases it may be CHEAPER to repair the amp rather than replacing/buying a newer amp.If you know how to work on small boards and make the repair yourself,its always worth fixing in most cases.

Warranty more than likely is void due to improper installation as most techs inspecting will conclude, so at this point, you can open up the amp and view inside to see what is burnt on the board and get an estimate to replace the parts to get it back up and running, or you may be able to buy the parts and replace yourself if you are decent with a soldering iron/ gun and get it working cheaply/lucky.Some computer repair places can do the repairs on the board charging labor by the hour plus parts or an over all general charge for the repair locally may be around $100 bucks-$150 or even less depending where you go.Never hurts to try and get a couple estimates to see if you will come out ahead or more costly and be cheaper just to replace.

Yea, I'm going to look at it myself and see if I can fix it. Generally speaking, I'm pretty good at fixing most things. However, if it's between spending money on replacement parts vs. buying a new amp, I think I will go for the latter.

Thanks again guys. You've been a huge help. I have no one to talk to about this type of stuff and my wife is getting tired of hearing about it. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Yea, I'm going to look at it myself and see if I can fix it. Generally speaking, I'm pretty good at fixing most things. However, if it's between spending money on replacement parts vs. buying a new amp, I think I will go for the latter. Thanks again guys. You've been a huge help. I have no one to talk to about this type of stuff and my wife is getting tired of hearing about it. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
keep telling her. the more you say the less shes gonna want to hear and the more you can spend!

That's, unfortunately, not how marriage works, lol.

What I did with my ex, was find a way to spend slightly more on something for her than what I wanted would cost, BEFORE I bought for myself.

Then, she'd start to feel bad that money got spent on her, bills, the kid, and not me (as the sole provider). Then, voila! Spending money on what I wanted ended up being her idea and no guilt trip from her for it.

That's, unfortunately, not how marriage works, lol.
What I did with my ex, was find a way to spend slightly more on something for her than what I wanted would cost, BEFORE I bought for myself.

Then, she'd start to feel bad that money got spent on her, bills, the kid, and not me (as the sole provider). Then, voila! Spending money on what I wanted ended up being her idea and no guilt trip from her for it.

Beautiful idea. However, my wife hates anything being spent on her. So I'm afraid your idea would backfire for my situation.

Just an update for anyone who cares; I tested the power, ground and remote wires on my amp with my voltmeter and determined it was the remote that is the problem. Opened up the amp and it looked like I was right so I soldered the remote connection and retested. Looked like everything was good from what the voltmeter was telling me so I reinstalled. Nothing! At this point, I'm at the end of my knowledge, patience and whits!!!!!

Beautiful idea. However, my wife hates anything being spent on her. So I'm afraid your idea would backfire for my situation. Just an update for anyone who cares; I tested the power, ground and remote wires on my amp with my voltmeter and determined it was the remote that is the problem. Opened up the amp and it looked like I was right so I soldered the remote connection and retested. Looked like everything was good from what the voltmeter was telling me so I reinstalled. Nothing! At this point, I'm at the end of my knowledge, patience and whits!!!!!
Did you happen to replace the fuse on the amp and or supply???Check??Check your Supply wiring at the battery as well as inline fuse and connections/distro block??Ground connections?

I would test that amp onthe bench with a car battery or 12v. supply with a speaker and an Ipod or old HU..you can search a You Tube Vid on how to use an Ipod or device through your RCA connections for each ch for tones/music..Its easy to do..I could explain, but a Vid will be better for you to view and have an easier understanding and review as many times needed..You could have an issue with your HU supply/wiring/LOC, or supply..Can rule the amp out by a full bench test rather than just metering..doesnt take much to set up a quick testing station

Did you happen to replace the fuse on the amp and or supply???Check??Check your Supply wiring at the battery as well as inline fuse and connections/distro block??Ground connections?
Yes, I did all these things. Unfortunately they all came back normal.

I would test that amp onthe bench with a car battery or 12v. supply with a speaker and an Ipod or old HU..you can search a You Tube Vid on how to use an Ipod or device through your RCA connections for each ch for tones/music..Its easy to do..I could explain, but a Vid will be better for you to view and have an easier understanding and review as many times needed..You could have an issue with your HU supply/wiring/LOC, or supply..Can rule the amp out by a full bench test rather than just metering..doesnt take much to set up a quick testing station
These are all excellent ideas. However, at this point I am not willing to put anymore money into this amp. I listed it on eBay and bought a new one. It's a boss 1500w amp. Not the best by any means but it should do the trick. Thanks everyone for you help and input!!!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.