HELP! my subs may be burning?

Okay so I just bought a brand new system! A 1200 watt hifonics zues monoblock amp and 2 hifonica hfx12d4 subwoofer rated 400 rms and 800 peak and I have it all wired to 1-ohm... Now when I play my subwoofers start smelling like they are burning? Is it because maybe my gain is set to high? (I haven't checked yet) or am I overpowering my subs? All this is brand new too so do I have to play it lightly for awhile for my subs to break in? My amp is not clipping or anything and sounds fine just smells like something is burning and my subs do feel warm not like hot or anything just a little warm?

I'm not sure if It even matters but my box is tuned to 34 hz and o have all stock eletricals in a 97 jeep grand cherokee

I don't know what is wrong or how to fix it please help!

Unless you've checked the gain with a Distortion Detector or an oscilloscope, you do not know whether or not your amplifier is clipping. Dangerous clipping happens before it becomes audible and when it does become audible, it is very dangerous.

As for the amp and sub combination you have, the amp won't do its rated power but the subs should be okay with what the amp does send them, so you're fine so long as the gain isn't set too high. As for the smell, sometimes you do get a smell from new subs but if they're not overpowered (which yours are not), they're being sent a clean signal and they're cooling properly, you will never smell anything from them.

So to help you find the problem...

What head unit do you have?

What level is the bass setting on the head unit at?

What level is the gain on the amp set to?

Is the bass boost on the amp turned up at all?

What size power and ground is feeding the amp?

Where is the amp grounded?

Thanks guys and I guess I don't know if its clipping, I was told it would sound distorted but to me and other people who have heard it it sounds clean ... I have a Kenwood head unit and 4 guage power and ground cable and its grounded to the frame so I don't think that's really an issue... The bass settings on my head unit are set low I believe somewhere like -3... I was just worried they may he overpowered or something but it sounds like I am probably clipping then thanks guys!

listen bro, their clipping or over powering, those subs sux so I cant see trying to give them more than rms, (or even rms) your amp is alright but barely puts out a 1000w, if you go hifonics go brutus never zeus its a entry line... unless you get a huge zeus and turn it down.... not to mention its a power hog is your amp getting hot too? if it is your probably getting voltage drop and clipping the subs...

---------- Post added at 10:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:24 AM ----------

ps if you continue to run the subs smells (voice coil is burning) then the subs will blow.....

I had a Brutus amp before and liked it so I decided to get another hifonics amp but it seems good the amp never gets hot just the subs and I think I was clipping now because I got the gain set right by a friend of mine and no more smell anymore.. As for me buying the subs I'm saving up for l7's which alot of ppl seem to think are good I just bought the hfx12d's for temporary but I still don't want them to die .... I no longer have the smell anymore tho thanks alot guys!!

I had a Brutus amp before and liked it so I decided to get another hifonics amp but it seems good the amp never gets hot just the subs and I think I was clipping now because I got the gain set right by a friend of mine and no more smell anymore.. As for me buying the subs I'm saving up for l7's which alot of ppl seem to think are good I just bought the hfx12d's for temporary but I still don't want them to die .... I no longer have the smell anymore tho thanks alot guys!!
Lol I'm sorry to hear your saving for L7's they are ok subs but alot better can be had for the money...... and don't feel bad I've cooked those subs hfx... as well.... get some funds together and come back and see us before you buy subs..... we can get you hooked up.... L7's are ok, but nothing to brag about.... there are alot of subs for half the price that will eat L7's alive....

oh and one other thing does any of you guys know if the bass knob is worth having or should i just throw it out?

I've heard mixed opinions from they just control volume to your subs so it does absolutely no harm and I have also heard that it is like a mini gain and will just destroy the woofers?

On the hifonics amp, its a gain. To me it's useless since you could turn the volume down on your head unit, but to each their own. If you have your gain set, the knob will work as a volume adjuster since it won't go past the physical setting of the gain on the amp.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.