how do brands like boss, pyramid, ssl not get in trouble for false?

jockhater2
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Veteran
How do all those cheap brands not get in trouble for false advertising?

When they rate an amp that has 100amps worth of fusing for 5000 watts....how dow do they do that? Did they technically get the 5000 peak @ a specific and exact frequency in a perfect scenario?

And how do they rate subs with 2.5" voice coils @ 3000 watts?

Wouldn't that be false advertising and illegal?

What's there secret?

All you typically have to do is get the readings to say it 1 time under ideal conditions and you can advertise it (generally speaking).

they all have their own BS way of measuring what their products can do.

They can plug a subwoofer into the wall and it will last for 3 seconds and say "our sub can handle XXX watts RMS". They don't have to tell you how they came to this conclusion or how long it can take XXX watts. That's why it is legal and they can get away with it.

All you typically have to do is get the readings to say it 1 time under ideal conditions and you can advertise it (generally speaking).
Ok. See. That is what I figured. For there amps. I figured they ran it at high voltage,clipping hard at like 100hz

Ok. See. That is what I figured. For there amps. I figured they ran it at high voltage,clipping hard at like 100hz
This happens in every industry as well - PCs, Home Theater etc. It can be extremely frustrating to try and put together for most people.

This happens in every industry as well - PCs, Home Theater etc. It can be extremely frustrating to try and put together for most people.
Well. I am not 100% sure if I am right on this...But arent all amps rated for there power at a certain frequency?

Like my RD 7500.1...

Isn't it rated for that 7,500watts at 1 ohm @ XX frequency?

Is that right or completely wrong?

Most people only clamp at 50-60hz for accuracy but its possible to clamp higher with good quality true rms clamps

Most people only clamp at 50-60hz for accuracy but its possible to clamp higher with good quality true rms clamps
So If you were to clamp at lets say 30 hertz. Your amp wouldn't be making its RMS correct?

about 50hz is the frequency that digital multimeters are most accurate with, that is the frequency I use to set my gains.

Not smart enough to tell you why it's the most accurate frequency, just know thats how u do it.

about 50hz is the frequency that digital multimeters are most accurate with, that is the frequency I use to set my gains.

Not smart enough to tell you why it's the most accurate frequency, just know thats how u do it.

they advertise peak ratings not rms , the amps may spike for a spilt second on a ocsillocope at they're peak ratings and thats where they rate them at

they advertise peak ratings not rms , the amps may spike for a spilt second on a ocsillocope at they're peak ratings and thats where they rate them at
But how do they get that peak power? Is it at a specific frequency that an amp puts out its max power?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.