how do brands like boss, pyramid, ssl not get in trouble for false?

My words before weren't a statement. They were a question.Do amps make more power at different frequencies?
In practice, yes, but only because of changes in impedance at various frequencies. Assuming you could keep impedance constant (or drive a pure resistive load like a planar driver) power should be the same assuming we're in it's useable bandwidth

Ohhhh ok. So in a sealed set up. An amps RMS should be consistent?
NO

If its a .707 QTS box.
Have you ever measured a woofer's impedance plot? In a box?

It a "as flat as it gets" sealed box. The only peak it should have is around the cars RF
False.

Ohhh ok. So the box really determines how much the amp draws. If you have a ported enclosure tuned to 32 hertz. Your amp won't make as much power at sloping or dipping frequenies. Is that correct?And it will make more of its power at its tuning?
P=IE Power = Current * Voltage. E = IR (voltage = current * resistance) These are the formulas, you can see what can change power.

Where the confusion comes in is that a speaker system can be shown as a circuit (see below). This is how we use TS parameters to predict performance. Room/vehicle accoustics and other factors may also act as resistance, capacitance, or inductance.

http://www.silcom.com/~aludwig/Sysdes/Thiele_equiv_circuit.gif

It depends. Ever sub will have its spot it wants to be at also. No matter what the tunning is.
An impedance curve of just a raw driver is more complex than that. Buy WT3 or use a tone generator and get a couple DMMs and see for yourself.

Oh ok. At least I understand it a lot better than I did before.An amplifiers power output is completely dependent on the voltage, the signal, the distortion level, the impedance and the enclosure tuning and speakers tuning?
P=IE

Moving the . In THD like from this .01 to .5 makes for a heck of a watt change. Back in the day when I hung out at a buddy's pawn shop I would read the specs on amps from like M&M and the cheaper brands would sometimes do 1.05 THD or something stupid like that and make a 80watt amp like 1500 watts. That would be some amazing clipping I don't even thing you could make out the music at higher THD ratings they used to do. I haven't really looked that hard at a M&M catalog in years not sure if they show all ratings like they used toThe only amp I wanted to get back then out of the M&M merchandising catalog was the Lanzar opti drive c-50 I think that was name

It had the best ratings out of all that junk they sold. But Lanzar pulled the opti drive line out of M&M and I missed my chance to get one
I think when Lanzar actually had the Zed made opti line they didn't sell through M&M

My words before weren't a statement. They were a question.Do amps make more power at different frequencies?
In practice, yes, but only because of changes in impedance at various frequencies. Assuming you could keep impedance constant (or drive a pure resistive load like a planar driver) power should be the same assuming we're in it's useable bandwidth

Ohhhh ok. So in a sealed set up. An amps RMS should be consistent?
NO

If its a .707 QTS box.
Have you ever measured a woofer's impedance plot? In a box?

It a "as flat as it gets" sealed box. The only peak it should have is around the cars RF
False.

Ohhh ok. So the box really determines how much the amp draws. If you have a ported enclosure tuned to 32 hertz. Your amp won't make as much power at sloping or dipping frequenies. Is that correct?And it will make more of its power at its tuning?
P=IE Power = Current * Voltage. E = IR (voltage = current * resistance) These are the formulas, you can see what can change power.

Where the confusion comes in is that a speaker system can be shown as a circuit (see below). This is how we use TS parameters to predict performance. Room/vehicle accoustics and other factors may also act as resistance, capacitance, or inductance.

Thiele_equiv_circuit.gif

It depends. Ever sub will have its spot it wants to be at also. No matter what the tunning is.
An impedance curve of just a raw driver is more complex than that. Buy WT3 or use a tone generator and get a couple DMMs and see for yourself.

Oh ok. At least I understand it a lot better than I did before.An amplifiers power output is completely dependent on the voltage, the signal, the distortion level, the impedance and the enclosure tuning and speakers tuning?
P=IE

Moving the . In THD like from this .01 to .5 makes for a heck of a watt change. Back in the day when I hung out at a buddy's pawn shop I would read the specs on amps from like M&M and the cheaper brands would sometimes do 1.05 THD or something stupid like that and make a 80watt amp like 1500 watts. That would be some amazing clipping I don't even thing you could make out the music at higher THD ratings they used to do. I haven't really looked that hard at a M&M catalog in years not sure if they show all ratings like they used toThe only amp I wanted to get back then out of the M&M merchandising catalog was the Lanzar opti drive c-50 I think that was name

It had the best ratings out of all that junk they sold. But Lanzar pulled the opti drive line out of M&M and I missed my chance to get one
I think when Lanzar actually had the Zed made opti line they didn't sell through M&M

They did I guesse for one season. M&M puts out a spring and fall catalog

Next catalog that came out they pulled the opti line out

The amp I remember was like 25-50 watts at 4ohm and 800 at 1ohm kinda close to the kicker xs100 but only used double darlington when I think kicker xs100 used triple

What? Any source on this? Also you think the factory in China only has a 10$ auto-zone DMM and not o-scope?

Parroting something you heard someone say online doesn't do anyone any favors. If you can't prove there is some validity to this "theory" you shouldn't throw it around like there's some basis in fact.
He didn't just make that up.

The determination of the accuracy, itself has several constituents that may be all combined into the one "accuracy" figure. It will be found that the level of AC accuracy for the digital multimeter is normally less than that for DC measurements. The AC measurements will also be optimised for 50-60 Hz and this means that other frequencies may have poorer degree of accuracy.

Not true. Impedence rise will be it's lowest at or near tuning. Regardless of the driver used.

I am learning a lot //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Wish my ipad would stop posting 2 times
I double posted from my laptop.... it's the site tonight I think.

He didn't just make that up.

Not true. Impedence rise will be it's lowest at or near tuning. Regardless of the driver used.
So because a cheap DMM is designed to measure AC at 60hz an amplifier's output should be measured @ 60hz?

Impedance is lowest around tuning you say? Fascinating. Any pictures of some impedance curves showing that happening?

I double posted from my laptop.... it's the site tonight I think.

So because a cheap DMM is designed to measure AC at 60hz an amplifier's output should be measured @ 60hz?

Impedance is lowest around tuning you say? Fascinating. Any pictures of some impedance curves showing that happening?
I didin't say that. I just said that he didn't make up the fact that AC meters are optimized for 50/60hz and therefore more accurate at those frequencies.

Lol. Not sure if serious.

I didin't say that. I just said that he didn't make up the fact that AC meters are optimized for 50/60hz and therefore more accurate at those frequencies.
Lol. Not sure if serious.
So you've never actually done an impedance graph of a woofer in a box, have you?

So you've never actually done an impedance graph of a woofer in a box, have you?
What's a box? And what's this impedance graph you speak of?

I honestly don't know if you're trolling or not because I thought you'd know better.

Have you? Have you any pictures of impedance curves showing that NOT happening?

Lol air compressors tried advertising more hp than they actually made?
Absolutely. The "power wars" aren't limited to audio amps. Power tools like routers and saws get the same inflated ratings. I have a circular saw rated as "Develops 2.2 hp", which means peak power just before it smokes or something.. and it's a Craftsman.

I have a spray gun that requires a minimum 3 hp compressor, so I bought a Sears 5.5 hp unit. It can't keep up with the gun. Couple years later I get a check for like 4 dollars which was my share of a class action suit against Sears, Husky and other compressor manufacturers for false advertising. It does happen sometimes.

Absolutely. The "power wars" aren't limited to audio amps. Power tools like routers and saws get the same inflated ratings. I have a circular saw rated as "Develops 2.2 hp", which means peak power just before it smokes or something.. and it's a Craftsman.
I have a spray gun that requires a minimum 3 hp compressor, so I bought a Sears 5.5 hp unit. It can't keep up with the gun. Couple years later I get a check for like 4 dollars which was my share of a class action suit against Sears, Husky and other compressor manufacturers for false advertising. It does happen sometimes.
Ohhh man. Well. Honestly. Now I'm going to be more careful upon products that I purchase.

What's a box? And what's this impedance graph you speak of?
I honestly don't know if you're trolling or not because I thought you'd know better.

Have you? Have you any pictures of impedance curves showing that NOT happening?
There's a dip at Fb, not necessarily lowest point. I've got some curves at home on my other laptop. I use WT3 to see if it's safe to drop impedance at any given freq.

Well. I am not 100% sure if I am right on this...But arent all amps rated for there power at a certain frequency?Like my RD 7500.1...

Isn't it rated for that 7,500watts at 1 ohm @ XX frequency?

Is that right or completely wrong?
Wait you have a RD 7500.1??????????

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.