Wtf is with people's used amp prices

Now this does bring up the age old question for SQ guys.
If you drop good money on processing, will your amps really matter?
YES! I used many amplifiers that exhibited some sort of hiss, cyclic hum, or other design related flaw that introduced noise into the system. Not only did old school amplifiers like Linear Power exhibit noise issues, but so did the Alpine PDX-5 that I tried in 2008.

The cheaper the amp, the more likely it will create noise on it's own or pick it up from the environment that it is installed in. The use of a stiffening capacitor can sometimes filter out the power/ground wire induced noise, but it doesn't work 100% in all situations.

Luv u2 rob.

Btw, picked me up a percd hvy..... Figured you'd appreciate that //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

This. Is exactly what I am saying. And what I've been (trying) saying all along. I don't use any filters on any of my amps. Everything is set to "flat" or zero or turned off or whatever. This isn't the case for a lot of people, but it is for me.
I do this as well...also run with the gain turned all the way down.

And this is why north america doesn't have any quality products made and assembled here anymore. People want everything for nothing. Only way to do that is to offshore build it. So take your pick.....more jobs, better economy, better product.......or crap product, cheap prices, and no jobs.

this is true^ funny thing i seen a sampson sell on ebay for $675 shipped and the same week a Goliath sold for over $800.so to me the sampson is not worth as much anymore.it's just like the economy if you get one guy that will do the job for $5 less and hour he just set the price and everyone will follow.sux but its what happened
Sampson is the largest piece of steaming **** in car audio. I wouldn't buy another one for 50$.

@ this thread. I see some great prices on amps in here... there's an Atomic 5K for a really good price and some nice old school goodies for fair.

I think a lot of the amplifiers people are selling on the forums are overpriced too..It's not just the forums though..It's Ebay too..People are looking around, and seeing what "everybody else" is "asking" for their amplifiers..

So they think..If this guy is "asking" X amount of dollars for his amplifier..It must be a fair price..So the next guy selling the exact same amplifier "asks" for the same amount of $$$..Even if it is too much $$$$..It's a vicious cycle..

Believe it or not..Us as Consumers control the prices ..Everything gets thrown out of wack..When somebody overpays for something though..Then a future seller of a similiar item uses that overpaid price as the new standard..

Unless I ran across a killer deal on a used Amplifier i wouldn't even mess them..The guys that are rebuilding or fixing amps right now.. Are the ones that are getting the best deals..If you just let the people selling "overpriced ampliers" sit on them...That would actually bring the prices down..

One other thing I've noticed is..People who buy a "Brand New Amplifier" because it looks like a really good deal...Only to find out it doesn't do what it's rated for..Then they "try" and sell it here..For what they paid for it..What you have to understand is..

Most of the people that try and sell their "Brand New only used Once Amplifers"...Are very young...Be that Mentally or just Numerically.."Most" ...(not all) of the older people..Understand that you don't ask the same price for something you bought "Brand New"..As what you're "trying" to sell it for "Used"..Of course some people no matter what their age don't have any sense!

I guess the last point i'll make is..The Economy has a little bit to do with the "overpricing" as well..People that are struggling to make ends meet..Especially people who didn't have the extra $$$ to be spending on the "Brand New Amplifier" to begin with..Are trying to get every last dime they can from something they're selling..

That's just my 2 cents..

....Sorry for the lengthy response..//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif

YES! I used many amplifiers that exhibited some sort of hiss, cyclic hum, or other design related flaw that introduced noise into the system. Not only did old school amplifiers like Linear Power exhibit noise issues, but so did the Alpine PDX-5 that I tried in 2008.
The cheaper the amp, the more likely it will create noise on it's own or pick it up from the environment that it is installed in. The use of a stiffening capacitor can sometimes filter out the power/ground wire induced noise, but it doesn't work 100% in all situations.

Just to remain fair, I would like to state that I have NEVER had ANY type of noise from a Linear Power amp in any of my systems. Not even the slightest whine or hum.

Truthfully, noises such as these are normally due to poor install and/or cheap interconnects and not the equipment.

U use that Sony sq amp I sent u ? Tell people about that gangsta $hit
My boy wound up with it and he hasnt put it to any good use yet. I'm working with him though. Bad *** amp fo sho.

People actually find that "noise" pleasing. Lol. I guess it's similar to the way people say vinyl just "sounds" better. I don't have any noise isues with mine though.

Just to remain fair, I would like to state that I have NEVER had ANY type of noise from a Linear Power amp in any of my systems. Not even the slightest whine or hum.
Truthfully, noises such as these are normally due to poor install and/or cheap interconnects and not the equipment.
Wow, you are the oracle of knowledge. I guess that is why a direct replacement with a whole slew of other amplifiers fixed my noise issues using the same mounting location, wiring, speakers, and interconnects. The noise was related to my install! Thanks for bringing that to my attention.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif

I didn't really read the whole thread -- but used prices have crashed big time in the last 2 years from my observations... which I a big reason I stopped taking so many trades of other brand equipment as I was unable to offer a reasonable level of credit for them due to poor re-sale.

Oddly enough I listed a gray RF 1501bd on e-bay not long ago and it sold for about 400 dollars with shipping... buyers bid it up that high. I couldn't sell it on the forums for even 250 or so.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.