Car amp used in home

Participant count
  • Participant list

some dude

I myself was once president of Algeria
My folks have an old subwoofer in their home stereo. The plate amplifier on the back of subwoofer cabinet seems to have died.

I was gonna buy a replacement but the replacement size isn't identical.

I'm sitting on 2 subwoofer amps from my car. 1 300w @ 4ohm Alpine and 1 500w @ 4ohm Kenwood.

If I ran one of those I'd need an inverter?
What am i.looking for inverter wise?

Assuming inverter route is cheaper than replacing plate amplifier, are there any reasons to not use one of my spare car amps?

Yep, you can do it. I used one of these to power an old Rockford 4 channel that I hooked up to some old door speakers in my garage. As you can see, your power supply doesn't need to be anything fancy. You can splice your remote turn on into one of the 12v outputs from the PS. There's a 300W and a 400W model on the Amazon page I linked, if you want to go that route.

Yeah, just needs to convert 110/120 to 12V. Needs to be able to handle the wattage, and you can use this method:

To make sure the gain doesn't go over the available wattage, so you can feel comfortable about using either amp.

Instead of buying a power supply and using car amps, Maybe you can find the exact plate amp used on ebay for cheap..

Parts express usually has a few on sale as well. might be able to find something that will work through them too.

I was browsing parts express. It seemed like around $180 for a 300 watt plate amp.
The dimensions are not identical, new amps seem larger by a few inches.

Last edited:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...