Wiring Subs in Box

Participant count
  • Participant list
What's up everyone. I have 2 Sundown SA12's and I bought a temporary pre-fab box. It's only for a month or two so it's not that big of a deal lol. Anyway, the box came with 2 terminal cups with some really thin speaker wire attached to them.

image-1.jpg

My question being that I fished 12 gauge KnuKonceptz wire through the port.

image.jpg

Will this be a problem? Other than looking bad? Also, my subs are bridged down to 1 ohm, so I have to drill a hole in the inside box wall to feed the wire through and re-wire them up. Is that a problem? Is there anything else I can do?

problems with prefabs are ussually the tuning is off, some nice prefabs can be tuned low, i would change the wire and terminals and you can wire it down from outside the box, drop the ohm load to 2 ohm from sub to terminal then wire it from outside
this might help

Subwoofer Wiring Diagrams, Two 4 ohm Dual Voice Coil (DVC) Speakers
Or this. But if you don't wanna use the terminals for some reason just do like I said and it works just fine. That's how mine is til I can get bolts for terminals. If you use those terminals just make sure you solder the wire to the inside of the terminal good or else it can become loose and your subs will cut in and out or just come unhooked. Then you gotta take it all back out.

problems with prefabs are ussually the tuning is off, some nice prefabs can be tuned low, i would change the wire and terminals and you can wire it down from outside the box, drop the ohm load to 2 ohm from sub to terminal then wire it from outside
this might help

Subwoofer Wiring Diagrams, Two 4 ohm Dual Voice Coil (DVC) Speakers
I know. I really didn't want to buy a prefab but I didn't have a choice at the moment :/. The wire is connected to the cup with something I've never seen before. The connector is strange. The subs are wired to 1 ohm because of the amp. I have an AQ1200D. Is there a problem if I wire them through the port and just connect them directly to the amp?

It won't make any diff. And if you have to drill a hole, run your wire in and hook em up and then fill the hole around the wire with kaulking.
Any kind of caulk would do? Or do I need a specific one? So you're saying there won't be a problem wiring through the port right?

Or this. But if you don't wanna use the terminals for some reason just do like I said and it works just fine. That's how mine is til I can get bolts for terminals. If you use those terminals just make sure you solder the wire to the inside of the terminal good or else it can become loose and your subs will cut in and out or just come unhooked. Then you gotta take it all back out.
I really don't want to use the terminal cups because of what I've heard about them. Especially the melting stories lol. Basically I'd bridge them in the box and then run the speaker wire out the port and to the amp. Sound about right?

I know. I really didn't want to buy a prefab but I didn't have a choice at the moment :/. The wire is connected to the cup with something I've never seen before. The connector is strange. The subs are wired to 1 ohm because of the amp. I have an AQ1200D. Is there a problem if I wire them through the port and just connect them directly to the amp?

No no problem with that at all.

Any kind of caulk would do? Or do I need a specific one? So you're saying there won't be a problem wiring through the port right?
Yeah any kaulking will work. You can either drill a hole in it and run the wire through and kaulk it to keep air from pleading (make sure you let it dry for a while before you put your subs in. I let mine dry for 2 days just to be safe.)

I really don't want to use the terminal cups because of what I've heard about them. Especially the melting stories lol. Basically I'd bridge them in the box and then run the speaker wire out the port and to the amp. Sound about right?
That's why I didn't use terminals. You could do brass bolts through the box too. Just a pos and a neg bolt that goes through the box and hook it up on each side. Can take a lot of power and wouldn't have to worry bout em melting. I can get you a link in a min. Hold on.

No no problem with that at all.

Yeah any kaulking will work. You can either drill a hole in it and run the wire through and kaulk it to keep air from pleading (make sure you let it dry for a while before you put your subs in. I let mine dry for 2 days just to be safe.)

That's why I didn't use terminals. You could do brass bolts through the box too. Just a pos and a neg bolt that goes through the box and hook it up on each side. Can take a lot of power and wouldn't have to worry bout em melting. I can get you a link in a min. Hold on.
I've heard a lot about the bolts but haven't seen how to do it exactly. I'm not much of a noob to this stuff, but with some things I am. haha. I'm always willing to learn though. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

Something kinda like these. Can get heavier ones if you wanna but youd prolly be good with even something as light as these. Just drill a hole and put em through and kaulk right around it where it meets the wood on the inside.
Dayton Audio BPA-38G HD Binding Post Pair Gold 091-1245
Interesting. What do you suggest? Like I said, it's temporary until I can get a box built properly. I'm not too great with a saw so I won't be building it. Haha. Should I just run it through the port or do the bolts? I don't care about cosmetics at the moment since nobody will see it lol.

I've heard a lot about the bolts but haven't seen how to do it exactly. I'm not much of a noob to this stuff, but with some things I am. haha. I'm always willing to learn though. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif
Look in the description. It say it accepts up to 1" wood and there is just screws to hold it and keep it from turning. so you'd take off the back side of the post and drill a hole the same size as the actual bolt in the box, then it has the bolt or screw just goes on on the back of the post to hold it in.. I think it'd be pretty self explanatory once you got em and took a look at em and read the directions. And they're cheap. How much power you doing? You could do a pair of posts for each sub if you were still worried about melting em but I'm sure you'll be fine

Interesting. What do you suggest? Like I said, it's temporary until I can get a box built properly. I'm not too great with a saw so I won't be building it. Haha. Should I just run it through the port or do the bolts? I don't care about cosmetics at the moment since nobody will see it lol.
If you dont care about looks at all just run it through. Or drill the hole and run it through there instead of the port and it'd look a little bit better than through the port and if you just run it through the port it might make a bit of noise when you get some air moving from the wire hitting the box. I just drilled a hole in the bottom corner of my box a so the wire comes out underneath and you don't see the kaulk or hole.

I'd drill a hole cuz if you run it through the port you can sometimes hear the wire slapping the wood. If you drill a hole and kaulk it you don't have to worry bout that. And it takes less wire....

Look in the description. It say it accepts up to 1" wood and there is just screws to hold it and keep it from turning. so you'd take off the back side of the post and drill a hole the same size as the actual bolt in the box, then it has the bolt or screw just goes on on the back of the post to hold it in.. I think it'd be pretty self explanatory once you got em and took a look at em and read the directions. And they're cheap. How much power you doing? You could do a pair of posts for each sub if you were still worried about melting em but I'm sure you'll be fine
No that was before you posted the link lol. I'm going to be running 1200RMS

If you dont care about looks at all just run it through. Or drill the hole and run it through there instead of the port and it'd look a little bit better than through the port and if you just run it through the port it might make a bit of noise when you get some air moving from the wire hitting the box. I just drilled a hole in the bottom corner of my box a so the wire comes out underneath and you don't see the kaulk or hole.
I'd probably just drill a hole in the back if that's the case. The good thing about working in a hardware store is an endless supply of supplies. haha. Now I need to go find some caulk to use.

No that was before you posted the link lol. I'm going to be running 1200RMS

I'd probably just drill a hole in the back if that's the case. The good thing about working in a hardware store is an endless supply of supplies. haha. Now I need to go find some caulk to use.
Do it up!!!! You can just get a cheap little tiny tube of it for like $2 at Wal-Mart. You won't need much at all so don't buy a big tube to throw away 95% of the kaulking. Just about anything will work.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.