wire size FYI

Originally posted by Alaxan I beleive ya man.... LOL......but u wanna come work some tricks on my truck? I dun have any noise to mention, but can never be too careful LOL
I don't really have any magic to work----- though I would like to meet some people in the future maybe at a car show

Originally posted by chris229 I don't really have any magic to work----- though I would like to meet some people in the future maybe at a car show
Am still working on the caraudio.com gathering.... Going to make some new posts for it today or tomorrow and see where we go from there. Had a good bit interested in it before and need to let everyone know we are serious still about it.

Originally posted by chris229 do you guys really want me to put all the math that tells you you can't easly shield against the type of noise in a car------------? it's very long
If you want to hit me with a private message on that, I'd be glad to converse.
But I think we need to first agree on what kind of noise you expect "in a car". High level audio signals are usually transmitted by twisted pair covered with polymetal film. We're not dealing with milivolt levels like microphones, and don't have to contend with microphonics (mechanical noise) or thermal effects. But a car is not an island either - you still have RFI/EMI from AM radio stations, street lights, power transmission lines, traffic controllers, and your car's ECM. If you think there's nothing worth shielding, I disagree.

Check the Monster Cable web site at http://www.monstercable.com/connection_tips/Interference_17.asp

Yes, he's selling shielded cable... but there's good info there.

Originally posted by maylar If you want to hit me with a private message on that, I'd be glad to converse.

But I think we need to first agree on what kind of noise you expect "in a car". High level audio signals are usually transmitted by twisted pair covered with polymetal film. We're not dealing with milivolt levels like microphones, and don't have to contend with microphonics (mechanical noise) or thermal effects. But a car is not an island either - you still have RFI/EMI from AM radio stations, street lights, power transmission lines, traffic controllers, and your car's ECM. If you think there's nothing worth shielding, I disagree.

Check the Monster Cable web site at http://www.monstercable.com/connection_tips/Interference_17.asp

Yes, he's selling shielded cable... but there's good info there.
your worring about to much
capacitive coupling seldom happens in your car--------- unless you want to rap your RCAs around a noen light--------- seen that when a guy was tring to disprove that UTPs work--------funny

as for inductive coupling the distance from these sources--- streetlights/powertrans lines/traffic control ------------ better reduces its effects than any ------ shield

as stated many many many many many times before at low freqs-------- that kind of shielding is NOT--not---not--not-not-not-not effective to reducing and reflecting the flux lines----- you would need a couple meters of iron and it must be grounded like moster cable said to remove the voltage--

where would you ground it---------------it you had a couple tons of iron? To the car body------- but that's were the currents are------ that would be a bad idea

Well, I think we beat this topic to death so I'll just add my closing thoughts..

Today's digital audio is 18 bits of resolution. Amps are being spec'ed at > 100 dB of S/N ratio. That relates to 10 microvolts noise per volt of signal. Doesn't take much interference to be noticeable (to some people). And there's a guy on another forum who's receiving AM radio on his amps when he drives near the station's antenna. I'll continue to use shielded wire for my interconnects.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.