Will 6.5 fit front doors on 2011 f150?

HardcoreBob

Senior VIP Member
Dallas
I've been learning a crap load here and making great progress, pretty well decided on my equipment and techniques...

However, I've been under the impression (crutchfield says no fit) that I was being forced to choose from 5 and a quarter, 5x7, or 6x8 inch speakers...

From everything I gather, 6.5 is the way to go, but will they or will they not -easily- fit my 2011 f-150s doors (they are technically 6x8)

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

HI, I am getting ready possibly to change my truck speakers too ( 2014 F150 )

I was told from a few stores that you can fit a 6.5 up in front with an adapter.

I don't plant on adding an Amp, just want a something a little better up front, will likely go with 5x7(6x8) size.

but look around on-line, the adapters are out there.

Yes they will without a problem you just need to buy or build an adapter. I made mine out of mdf. I also have a 2011 f-150. Just a fyi ford uses obnoxious connectors in the door that makes it hard to run new wire to your speakers if you plan on doing that.

Baffles. They can be bought, made, etc. Cheap if done yourself. Many people have had success doing so.

Just make a shape to fit opening, to meet existing screw holes then trace on it your speaker dia and install. Done. Ditto.

I don't know why crutchfield says they're not compatible.... they say all kinds of sizes are compatible and offer all kinds of adapter with your purchase... why the hell do they suggest 6.5 are not?[emoji51]

I personally had to trim a tiny bit of door panel behind the grill but that just may have been in my case with the adapter I made. Either way its super easy to do and tons of people put 6.5's in.

I've been learning a crap load here and making great progress, pretty well decided on my equipment and techniques...
However, I've been under the impression (crutchfield says no fit) that I was being forced to choose from 5 and a quarter, 5x7, or 6x8 inch speakers...

From everything I gather, 6.5 is the way to go, but will they or will they not -easily- fit my 2011 f-150s doors (they are technically 6x8)

Thanks!

Yes 6.5s will fit.You canbuy some 12"x12" 1/8"-1/4"ABS plastic squares cut out and screw them on and make cuts to fit your 6.5s..Placed silicone around the outside to seal them off,and worked just fine,and water/moisture proof.Little modification you can do on any oversized hole.I like doing that rather than those adapters you buy. Seals the hole off more, and cost much less and make your own to fit

Yes they will without a problem you just need to buy or build an adapter. I made mine out of mdf. I also have a 2011 f-150. Just a fyi ford uses obnoxious connectors in the door that makes it hard to run new wire to your speakers if you plan on doing that.
That MDF if not sealed with a hardner is going to swell up and brittle apart after exposed to moisture after time and time again in those doors and you will be replacing eventually or have a speaker fallen to the inside of the door one day, and possibly damaging a speaker.You guys get alot of Snow and Rain up there.One my brothers lived up there for a few years.Spent alot of time in the local pubs:D

I don't know why crutchfield says they're not compatible.... they say all kinds of sizes are compatible and offer all kinds of adapter with your purchase... why the hell do they suggest 6.5 are not?[emoji51]

CField go blow and Blow Azz!! I havent bought from them in years for reasons Id rather not get in to at the moment.Search Ebay for some ABS plastic sheets 12"x12" x 1/4" would be best/ more rigid than 1/8"

Thanks!

unless u trying for comp set y not just use 5x7 speakers?, i would if i could..

That MDF if not sealed with a hardner is going to swell up and brittle apart after exposed to moisture after time and time again in those doors and you will be replacing eventually or have a speaker fallen to the inside of the door one day, and possibly damaging a speaker.You guys get alot of Snow and Rain up there.One my brothers lived up there for a few years.Spent alot of time in the local pubs:D
Thanks for the concern. I have made adapters like that in the past with 0 issues. I understand what moisture does to mdf ive just never had any issues with anything more than humidity getting into my doors.

Thanks for the concern. I have made adapters like that in the past with 0 issues. I understand what moisture does to mdf ive just never had any issues with anything more than humidity getting into my doors.
Man, you have been blessed..lol.All doors have a weep hole to let out any rain water that gets inside the doors through window, they arent sealed off 100% so that weep hole is in there for this issue.MDF is made of saw dust deposits with glue all mixed, it swells and starts falling to pieces when moisture settles in

Man, you have been blessed..lol.All doors have a weep hole to let out any rain water that gets inside the doors through window, they arent sealed off 100% so that weep hole is in there for this issue.MDF is made of saw dust deposits with glue all mixed, it swells and starts falling to pieces when moisture settles in
Haha that would be unusual for me. I have had the components in for a little less than a year and I plan on sound deadening the door maybe this week so I will report back on how the mdf has held up.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.