Why is my old amp so much better than my new more powerful /expensive amp.

This still would do a lot more power than the alpine , it does 2500 @1 sure but @ 3 its still getting well over 1k and sounds like its getting 300 rms

Actually that amp is not much more powerful than the Alpine. At 3Ω the Exile is about ~833W and the Alpine is ~666W. Generally you have to double the power to increase the output 3dB, assuming the Exile actually does rated you are likely only capable of ~1dB increase in output.

Actually that amp is not much more powerful than the Alpine. At 3Ω the Exile is about ~833W and the Alpine is ~666W. Generally you have to double the power to increase the output 3dB, assuming the Exile actually does rated you are likely only capable of ~1dB increase in output.
Both of those amps do more than rated power.

Both of those amps do more than rated power.
Looks like both amps share very similar specs, which says a lot for a 2500 watt monoblock, and the both of them running at similar power...should not be much difference there.

But if op has noticeable differences, then there is a install issue, no doubt. You should have been just as happy leaving as you were when you got there... with the big wire run and all, were you planning to go .75 on the Exile?

what is the sub wired to on the amp. .75-3-6ohm its will make a difference.
This is no doubt the problem. They wired you at 6ohms where as your Alpine was wired at .75. Your sub should be wired negative to negative and positive to positive then wired correspondingly to the amp. You are most likely wired with one coil negative to positive and then both negative and positive to the amp.

Make sure the sub is wired correctly, if you wire each coil out of phase. It'll play but sound ridiculously soft.
This. I did that a couple weeks ago... "ridiculously soft" is an understatement.

OP, try unplugging 1 RCA, see if that works.

If not, bust out the DMM and set it to read Ohms, and check your ohms on the speaker terminal of your amp. If it reads entirely out of the ball park of .75, 3, or 6 ohms then it's wired out of phase. Personally, I'd wire it to 3 ohms, and you should still be getting much more power. Unless the Alpine was wired at .75.

And you still haven't answered if your electrical is even strong enough to support this amp?

what is the sub wired to on the amp. .75-3-6ohm its will make a difference.
This is no doubt the problem. They wired you at 6ohms where as your Alpine was wired at .75. Your sub should be wired negative to negative and positive to positive then wired correspondingly to the amp. You are most likely wired with one coil negative to positive and then both negative and positive to the amp.
Sub can not be wired to 6 ohms. It is a dual 1.5 ohm sub. More than likely the sub is wired out of phase which is also causing the amp to clip prematurely.

OP take the car back to the shop. You already admitted that you are not experienced with wiring so let them figure it out. you should at least get the same output as the alpine. Have them recheck all the wiring especially the polarity on the wires to the sub. Also at the price you paid they should trouble shoot for free.

This is why I recommend at least doubling RMS power when upgrading.

As for the install fee, I'm sure to some degree, all ALL of us have been raped by a shop at some point in this hobby.

ok so here is the deal.
Replaced a Alpine 1000 watt @2ohm amp ( mrd 1005) with a Exhile 2500.1

The new amp was installed at a local shop and with 1/0 guage power and grounds, Everything was done right , now here is the problem its a lot weaker than even myy old amp ....

The sub its powering is a 13w7 in a ported box which the alpine made pound very hard , my new amp makes me feel like i have a 8 inch kenwood in a sealed box.

They set my gains and everything , im lost here as its a huge night and day diff between the two.

what could it be? im considering returning the amp since it cost 388 ( door crasher) and installing it was 250 ,basicaly i feel ripped off my 200 dollar ebay amp kills it in every way.
theres several reasons it could be. clear your pms and ill tell you why as well as pm you back about that pm you just sent me

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.