Why is my friend's RF P3 so loud?

bustaplz
10+ year member

Pissing off the world.
My friend has a single cab truck(Colorado?) with what I think is a RF P3 in a very small prefab sealed box behind the seat powered by an Alpine monoblock pushing 500w or so. The first time I heard it, I wasn't all that impressed, checked out his amp settings and everything was maxed. So I set his gain, lpf and boost setting as they should be. Now when he cranks it I keep noticing that it's loud as hell! I can't figure out why this think is making so much noise.

Comparing my Diamond D312 in a ported box to his setup, his was just a bit louder than mine(while not sounding quite as clean). I'm not really all that worried about his subwoofer being louder than mine, but it's really got me confused. Do you think it has to do with the fact that the cabin is so small and the sub is sitting behind me in his truck? It's all I can really think of and it seems like placement can't play THAT much a role in the sound difference.

it seems like placement can't play THAT much a role in the sound difference.
There's your answer right there. Sub placement can have a huge effect on its response.

That, and pickups can get loud quite easily due to the small cabin.

Trucks(especially single/extended cabs) can get loud pretty easily. Even in my 4-door I was doing a 146.4 legal with a hair over 1kw with a 33hz box...still peaking at 55hz in my truck though.

yeah it has to be the size of his truck. one of my first systems i had 2 planet audio 10's. they were just 300rms subs i think i was giving them maybe 150 watts a piece. in my trunk car they were decently loud, but when moved into a trans am i owned it was much much louder.

Well the difference between a Wrangler can't be THAT big, right? While we're on the subject of sub placement. My new box will be downfiring with 2" between the front of the baffle and the floor. Will that be a problem for my SR10's? Also, should I leave the carpet under the box or would I be better removing the carpet under it and having the subs fire onto the metal of the tub?

I think its so loud because it isnt loud. Maybe if you heard a real system you would understand young grasshopper.
I know it isn't loud on the SPL subwoofer scale, but I'm talking relative to my setups. And my setups are made by me, tuned correctly, built correctly. I guess I'm just shocked that the difference can be so huge just based on cabin size.

well I practically have 4x the power(2 RF T2's) in my frontier extended cab and it sounds real loud(said by an CA.com member who lives close by) never been metered but I'm sure that It has to be between 100 and 200:crazy://content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.